Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM

98 posts, read 395,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
We always take our dogs to ice cream shop in the evening. We sit with our dogs. We gave them each a table spoon. They love the ice cream and have never got sick from it. Is ice cream really bad for dogs? Any comment?
I am sure that some dogs may react differently to different foods, but here in Nebraska, the Humane Society sponsored an event during the 'Dog Days' of summer that provided ice cream to your pet when you purchased a cone for yourself. Would I let my dog eat a carton of ice cream? NO, but do I give my dog small portions of ice cream ocassionally? YES!!

My dog loves ice cream, in small amounts on special ocassions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,175,243 times
You know what they say, everything good in moderation. No dog will die from eating chocholate in small amount. Of course, you've got to be a moron to feed your dogs pounds of chocolate 3x a day. Who does that???
Yes, it's poisonous only if consumed in larger amounts. If i have a bar of chocolote (milk) once in a blue moon, (i prefer dark chocolate), i will give some to my dogs, i see no harm in it.
They eat cottage cheese with their food (raw food, i must add) 3x a week. They have yogurt about 3x a week. Once in a while they even get nuts, which isn't good for them either.

All i'm saying is, if your dogs are healthy, little bit of sweet will not kill them.
Don't leave chocolate laying around where they can reach it, it's up to you to supervise your kids!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,923 times
Valentine's Day Chocolate and my son (3 at the time) is what killed my terrier. It was horrible. When my oldest (8 at the time) told my little guy that he killed the dog I thought I was going to die, so I said no mommy killed the dog. Now of course they remind me everytime they have any candy by saying, "don't forget no candy to the dogs, remember that's how mommy killed Cleo". Yeah chocolate will kill your dog if they get too much, be careful.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,974 times
From what I understand Chocolate is poisonous to dogs in the way that to much of anything is poisonous to everything. It's not that chocolate will kill the dog, it's that the amounts of chocolate(like a candy bar) will kill a dog. Their bodies can't handle high amounts.

Cody does not get sugar, I don't wanna deal w/ teeth stuff later ....but more important, im human I can stop, animals are instinct and will more likely then not gorge.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:
We always take our dogs to ice cream shop in the evening. We sit with our dogs. We gave them each a table spoon. They love the ice cream and have never got sick from it. Is ice cream really bad for dogs? Any comment?
Dogs can't process the lactose (birds can't either). In the form of yogurt or cheese, dogs can eat a moderate amount, but straight milk or ice cream is not good for them.

If it's just a tablespoon and they're digesting it okay, I wouldn't worry about it. I use a 1/2 teaspoon of whipped cream cheese to hide the morning pills for the dogs, and they've been fine with it.

But it's good for people to know about the lactose so they don't set down a bowl full of ice cream for their dogs .

Old 11-10-2007, 11:09 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Also bad:

Avocado
Alcohol (goes without saying, you'd think)
CaffeineAny human medication unless yoou check with your vet first
Milk/Ice cream
My Husky would have sold his soul for a beer.

Our Sheltie steals my wifes coffee the instant she turns her back.

I am not allowed to eat ice cream without sharing it with my Eskimo.....

[hmmmm sounds like we raise a crowd of thieves and beggars.]

Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

We have a parrot that must have been raised on beer and pizza before she came to us ! We let her play around with the beer bottle, but no beer for birds !

This morning, I turned my back for one second and our new rescue dog was in my coffee mug! She got a couple of licks in before I could tear her away .

I often tell my dogs they should feed themselves (and them go feed the other pets!), but on second though, that probably would not be a good idea .

Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM

673 posts, read 3,147,107 times
Quote:
My dog can eat a very very small amount of ice cream. We gave him too much one time (a scoop) and he threw up like 3 times in a row. Lesson learned! We dont want him to suffer but he always likes the small taste he gets.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,815 times
Different dogs react differently to different things. Obviously the size of the dog has to be taken into consideration...and some dogs just do ok with things that ARE bad for them. We have seen dogs that have eaten an entire bag of chocolate and they're fine, while for another dog, for whatever reason, could be lethal.

To add to the list of other POSSIBLY poisonous things is grapes/raisins. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who have fed their dogs grapes and have never had a problem, again, it's a possibility that your dog can die from it (causes some kind of kidney problem or something if I remember correctly). There are alot of potential dangers, people just need to be aware and be careful about what their dogs get into and what they feed them.

I have never heard that ice cream is bad for dogs (a SMALL reasonable amount) but I would think that they do not digest dairy the way humans do and should not get more than a taste).

Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

Nice to meet another sheltie owner! Our shelties will steal anything as soon as we turn our backs. And even when we don't. They're very bold - and very fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs