Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM

103 posts, read 164,591 times

Advertisements

How can so many dog owners get dogs that bark all the time? I am lucky not to live on a block with a constantly yapping dog but I know others who do and it makes no sense. Why wouldn't people want peaceful dogs instead? The high-strung dogs that are totally annoying stress out the neighbors but I would think the owners wouldn't like it either. It also seems very inconsiderate that these same owners have no qualms letting their dogs stay in the yards barking, barking, barking at all hours. It's like "I own a dog and that's it. To hell with everyone else!"

Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,284,141 times
People don't get dogs that bark a lot. People allow their dogs to bark. They don't train their dogs to do otherwise. Yes, some dogs are more high strung than others, but on the whole the only reason a dog doesn't behave is because of the humans it lives with.

Is this really a Great Debate?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
People don't get dogs that bark a lot. People allow their dogs to bark. They don't train their dogs to do otherwise. Yes, some dogs are more high strung than others, but on the whole the only reason a dog doesn't behave is because of the humans it lives with.

Is this really a Great Debate?
LOL--I couldn't find another category that it fit under. If it needs to be moved, that is fine.

You are probably right about training but I do think there are breeds that seem to react much more often than others. For instance, some of the quietest dogs are the biggest ones! The yip-yappers are usually the smaller ones.

Kind of like people...

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,284,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
The yip-yappers are usually the smaller ones.

Kind of like people...
You have a point there.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You have a point there.
Why I NEVER!!!! *Stalks offline*

Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM

19,906 posts, read 12,197,448 times
Yep, it is more the owner although some breeds tend to be more yappy if the owner slacks on training. I also wonder why people let their children scream and cry for 10 - 20 minutes throughout the store. Kid is throwing a tantrum? Take it outside. My mom always said "if you want to cry, I'll give you something to cry about". She meant it. It worked.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Yep, it is more the owner although some breeds tend to be more yappy if the owner slacks on training. I also wonder why people let their children scream and cry for 10 - 20 minutes throughout the store. Kid is throwing a tantrum? Take it outside. My mom always said "if you want to cry, I'll give you something to cry about". She meant it. It worked.
That's a classic mama line. Yes, I suspect the indulgent parent gene and dog owner gene are one and the same.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,967,813 times
Barking is a self rewarding behavior for dogs. It can be extremely difficult to squelch, especially if the dog is left alone during the day where they can practice it willy-nilly. My dog barks like crazy any time someone walks past our house. While I can work on training and redirecting in the evenings when I'm home, it will never go away because she is allowed to bark all morning/afternoon while I'm at work. (She is in my house, so it is not bothering the neighbors--never in a million years would I let her outside when I wasn't home).

My mantra is "A tired dog is a happy dog." My guess is that the dogs you describe are not getting the stimulation or exercise they need from their owners, so they are creating their own fun. That's generally when dogs dig/chew/get into mischief as well.

Your comment about small dogs is interesting. My guess would be people get small dogs thinking small = less exercise, so they don't take it for runs or play dates or training classes and the like...thus back to my prior point. In reality, almost all dogs need fair amounts of daily exercise to be satisfied.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,389,387 times
Most dogs bark all the time because they are bored. Which means many times the owner is too lazy to exercise them properly for the needs of the breed.
That is why we have small dogs now, we can wear them out. Grew up with a hunting dog and a border collie, neither of which you could tire out. You could run those dogs for 8 hrs a day and they would not get tired. The BC never slept I swear to g*d.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,962,522 times
A lot of dogs don't bark when the owner is home. So sometimes the owner doesn't even know there's a problem.

Also, sometimes there's no way to shut the dog up. Some people think of adopting or buying a dog as making a commitment for the life of the dog, and they try everything to get it to stop barking, but it doesn't work. Then they either keep the irritating barking dog, or break their commitment and get rid of it. My sister has one of those very high strung dogs. They keep the dog crated when they're gone and the dog is on anxiety meds, but it barks whenever it wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs