Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times

Advertisements

If no interest has been shown, maybe it will stay that way, let's hope .

I have a cat that will puncture anything flat & structured - envelopes, shower curtains, plant leaves - anything that will give her that nice "crunch" when she punctures it. It's a texture thing I guess .

My dogs don't seem to have this desire.......should I bring them by and test them out on your blinds so we can be sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,459,766 times
I would remove them and put up some inexpensive curtains for now. Good Luck. My dogs have never attacked our verticles or blinds they have bent them trying to look outside though.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have a set of vertical blinds that cover a 3 panel sliding glass door that spans 14 feet. It was quite expensive, to say the least.

Since I have had the dog, it has been 'open' meaning the shade is not accessible. However, I have a concern that the dog may pee onto it or worse off scratch at it (like paper) and make a $1600+ USD mistake.

He has not attacked the blinds on the other doors, yet (knock on wood - knock, knock, knock). He is a one year old rescue (male Bichon) that hasn't destroyed anything, yet.

Do I have cause for concern? Am I just being paranoid?
No, you are absolutely NOT paranoid. He is still a puppy, even at one year old. Males in particular take longer to reach maturity, as long as 18 to 24 months. Which means they he will chew on just about everything until he learns what is appropriate. Get him some acceptable things for him to chew, like toys, rawhide bones, etc. Whenever you catch him chewing on something he shouldn't be chewing, give him a little correction and one of the acceptable things you bought for him to chew. He will figure it out eventually. By the time he is 2 or 3 years old, you shouldn't have a problem and your vertical blinds will be safe.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:50 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,022 times
Quote:
I have a set of vertical blinds that cover a 3 panel sliding glass door that spans 14 feet. It was quite expensive, to say the least.

Since I have had the dog, it has been 'open' meaning the shade is not accessible. However, I have a concern that the dog may pee onto it or worse off scratch at it (like paper) and make a $1600+ USD mistake.

He has not attacked the blinds on the other doors, yet (knock on wood - knock, knock, knock). He is a one year old rescue (male Bichon) that hasn't destroyed anything, yet.

Do I have cause for concern? Am I just being paranoid?
UPDATE:

It was a touch of paranoia. The blinds haven't been an issue. He really just keeps to himself. Funny to see my question after him living with us for about a year, now.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

It was a touch of paranoia. The blinds haven't been an issue. He really just keeps to himself. Funny to see my question after him living with us for about a year, now.
He's a good doggie .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs