Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

I have a set of vertical blinds that cover a 3 panel sliding glass door that spans 14 feet. It was quite expensive, to say the least.

Since I have had the dog, it has been 'open' meaning the shade is not accessible. However, I have a concern that the dog may pee onto it or worse off scratch at it (like paper) and make a $1600+ USD mistake.

He has not attacked the blinds on the other doors, yet (knock on wood - knock, knock, knock). He is a one year old rescue (male Bichon) that hasn't destroyed anything, yet.

Do I have cause for concern? Am I just being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Does the door lead to the yard? If so perhaps he's wanting to go outside. Otherwise he might just be merely wanting to see outside.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,566 times
Take the blind off until he dies..lol. You've been lucky. I have lost 4 blinds so far. Mine were not expensive like yours, nonetheless I am blindless on the opening side of the slider (actually a French door) and 3 front windows. Don't take a chance with that nice blind.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
It sounds like he hasn't done anything wrong yet so I would go ahead and expose him to the blinds (close them) while you are around to supervise. If he shows any interest at all - sniffing, nosing... - I would give him a squirt of water in the face. Don't wait for him to get close at all to any chewing or scratching. Squirt him just for thinking about it. He'll get the hint that it is just best to leave those blinds alone altogether!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
We just had our dog tear up some blinds on our windows. It never fails....he didnt do it for THREE YEARS since we've been in the house and it was just about a month ago, he got upset we had a busy week and were in and out and we came home to ripped blinds.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
to be on the safe side i would keep the blinds open at all times and if you have those strings cords to open the blinds i would hang those up someway to prevent any possible accidents like your daught getting caught it in. i dont know if youre worried about hanging accidents but i know that you shouldnt have the blinds with cords in a babies room because of it and since dogs can be like babies............

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have vertical blinds on every window. My dog & my cat both stick their head through to see, but I have never had a problem with either of them harming the blinds. If your blinds are the cloth type with the cord at the bottom you may wish to remove the cord.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
I agree with what Evey said about cutting the cord at the bottom if that's the kind you have.
My cat several years ago got tangled in between the cords and nearly choked herself
to death...she was in the house for at least 8 hours while I was at work and when I arrived home that's when I found her.
She survived...but it was a close call and a lesson learned about vertical blinds.
The ones I have now were expensive, but kitty is no longer with us and I usually leave them in the open position during the day. (For the dogs)

Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I have verticals on my living room window and my kitchen slider. In the 9 years I've lived in my house neither dog has ever bothered the blinds whether they're open, closed or slighty open. They like sticking their heads through the openings between the slats to look outside. I have a doggie door so they can easily go outside when they want.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Ours is a cordless vertical blind. You just push the 'bar' open and pull the bar to close it. I have a 7 year old and the dangling cords are a danger for anyone under 10. I knew a nurse whose kid died on Christmas day who hanged herself accidentally. The kid died right in front of her eyes when she discovered what happened. Another boy I know played Superman when he was four and nearly hanged himself. I recommend using tie-outs on the wall for the slack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs