Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM

216 posts, read 829,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarriedWithOutChildren View Post
I don't even want to get into this thread, read my comments on other threads regarding pitbulls......Many of you want everyone to be educated on the breed and be forgiving of these animals, yet CitybytheBay and AnyDayNow use the term, 'tard'. Are you kidding? That is the most ridiculous thing that I have read thus far...even from us 'uneducated pitbull' people.
What does someone's terminology have to do with the dogs

I'd like to know why 'uneducated pitbull' people think that we should have to constantly defend our choice of breed? I like pit bulls, you like whatever you like. And so the world turns

Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I agree. Any dog can bite anytime. My dog has bitten people and lunged at them many times. Fortunately, she only weighs 25 pounds. One time she bit some guy totally out of the blue. We were walking down the sidewalk and I had her on a leash. We walked past this man who was trimming a hedge with a loud machine. The noise upset her, so she bit him on his leg and broke skin. (She also does not like motorcycles.) It was upsetting, but it happens. I also had a blind poodle who bit everyone who came over to my house. He was a rescue and had a bad past. He was only 12 pounds. He also bit me at first, but that calmed down after a while.

Bigger dogs that bit are a problem. The owner either needs to learn how to control it or the dog ends up being put down. My friend had a pit bull that she did not know how to control. She was not the type to have an aggressive dog and the dog was difficult to train. After the dog scared some neighbors and bit the housekeeper, it was put down. Very, very sad.

But to return to the OPs question. I'd own a pitbull, yes. A dog is a dog, and I've met some of the sweetest pitbulls you can imagine. But I'd make sure I lived in a house, because some landlords feel funny about renting to people with pits...

Greenie
Your dog is a problem too Greenie. Its not just the owners of bigger dogs. If my dog had bitten as many people as yours he would be put down. I put down my lab / retriever X because he tried to bite two children. She has broken skin which is bad, but chasing motorcycles is unacceptable IMO. Your dog could kill a motorcyclist by chasing him. I am a motorcyclst who has been chased on many occasions (none by pitbull btw) and luckily im calm and know how to get away with it, a biker who dosent can die. Thats a huge problem

It just gets me that its OK for a 25lb dog to bite and be agressive and not a bigger one. Least tahts what I got from your post. Sorry if I read it wrong.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM

98 posts, read 394,882 times
Default Terminology...

First of all, I wasn't implying that you have to defend your breed. Reread my post, I did not comment on the breed at all and I did not ask anyone to 'defend' the breed.

My post was to those breed defenders who want everyone to be sympathetic towards a breed that they are not comfortable with and expect everyone to 'be educated' on the breed before they ask a question or post a comment; then that same person turns around and uses a completely offensive 'adjective' to describe a person. Grow up, we are all adults and to me, who has a mentally retarded niece, I am offended with someone calling someone else a 'tard'.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times
Quote:
First of all, I wasn't implying that you have to defend your breed. Reread my post, I did not comment on the breed at all and I did not ask anyone to 'defend' the breed.

My post was to those breed defenders who want everyone to be sympathetic towards a breed that they are not comfortable with and expect everyone to 'be educated' on the breed before they ask a question or post a comment; then that same person turns around and uses a completely offensive 'adjective' to describe a person. Grow up, we are all adults and to me, who has a mentally retarded niece, I am offended with someone calling someone else a 'tard'.

"Offensive adjective"....that's your opinion.
And I might add you've taken the text totally out of context. Whatever....

Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 PM

216 posts, read 829,499 times
Quote:

I gotcha on that, and understand (I have a mentally retarded cousin), but it sounded like it was reflecting on your opinion of the dogs which it shouldn't. No problem, I read some of your other posts and I know you have a fear of pit bulls. Hopefully, you can eventually meet up with one or two that will show you that there really isn't anything to fear, they're just dogs

Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
MarriedWithOutChildren, we dont expect to be sympathetic towards the breed. We would just like people to understand the breed. We get critisised (Sp!) all the time and have 'facts' that are far from the truth thrown at us. Its really not that hard to google 'pitbull' facts or whatever.

Im not jumping at you, but put yourself in my shoes. I own a gorgeous family dog that is a Staff, everybody is afraid of him (though get turned) and think they know facts that are myths.

Our dogs are on BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) and are being banned or trying to be in allot of cities. Your dogs will be next. When they get 'pitbulls' then itll be German Shephears, then Labs, then Golden Retrievers etc etc etc. We all have to stick together and support good owners with good dogs.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,375 times
I too have a developmentally challenged loved one; however, the slang term "tard" doesn't have anything to do with that, no matter how much you would like to imagine an offense. Please see the attached definition in the urban slang dictionary:
Urban Dictionary: tard Definition #2, please.

Personally, I do a search before I ask a question, to see if the topic has been discussed ad nauseum already. That is standard ettiquette, as is not yelling.

However, the word was used to indicate someone who would believe that cbtb's beautiful girl with chili on her face might be blood. Surely no one would be stupid enough to believe that a responsible dog owner would post a pic of their dog with blood on its face. Now THAT would be a tard! Hence the term in its proper slang usage.

I am not looking for everyone to be sympathetic towards my dogs, I am looking for people to be open-minded. Otherwise, if you can't be open-minded, why ask the question at all??

Now that we have cleared up why you should not be offended at a slang term that we did not create, what point did you want to make towards this thread?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Agreed...

Read my post to APBT_Samara, I don't want anything bad to happen to this breed and give all loving, repsonsible pitbull owners the respect that they truly deserve. I posted my fear of this dog and rcvd great comments from honest, loving, and responsible pitbull owners. I was the first to admit that I am not educated on the breed and have not taken the time to be around pitbulls as I do not know anybody who has a pitbull as a family pet. None of them looked down on me, if they did it was not reflective in their replies, and many provided a lot of interesting information regarding the breed.

I wasn't trying to get anyone hyped up, I was offened by the comments of two posters and I should not have to defend mentally retarded people just as you should not have to defend your breed of choice. But bcs 'uneducated people' make ignorant comments (IMO) and/or remarks, we have to.

Unfortunatley, many bad pitbull owenrs have ruined the reputation of the breed and their owners. I am still afraid of pitbulls, all the education in the world will not change my opinion, but that's all it is, MY OPINION.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Slang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
I too have a developmentally challenged loved one; however, the slang term "tard" doesn't have anything to do with that, no matter how much you would like to imagine an offense. Please see the attached definition in the urban slang dictionary:
Urban Dictionary: tard Definition #2, please.

Personally, I do a search before I ask a question, to see if the topic has been discussed ad nauseum already. That is standard ettiquette, as is not yelling.

However, the word was used to indicate someone who would believe that cbtb's beautiful girl with chili on her face might be blood. Surely no one would be stupid enough to believe that a responsible dog owner would post a pic of their dog with blood on its face. Now THAT would be a tard! Hence the term in its proper slang usage.

I am not looking for everyone to be sympathetic towards my dogs, I am looking for people to be open-minded. Otherwise, if you can't be open-minded, why ask the question at all??

Now that we have cleared up why you should not be offended at a slang term that we did not create, what point did you want to make towards this thread?
You can post whatever link you want and may speak 'slang' to say offensive things and get away with it, but I do not. Call it what you want!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
why? considering all the stats about potential harm they could do to other dogs and humans, why would you want one. arent you afraid of lawsuits or harm coming to a loved one? just curious as to why you'd want to take such a risk.
I chose to own them because I grew up around them and the love for them just stayed with me. I do like other breeds but they are my favorite. I love the look, size, determination, loyalty and working ability.

What do stats say. Here there have been 2 fatalities by Pit Bulls in 10yrs. That to me isn't something to worry about. Since I know my dogs are well bred and raised correctly I shouldn't have a problem. People are pretty much fearful without knowing anything-that is there problem. Here the cops get a lot of calls here about mean Pit Bulls running loose. Sometimes it isn't even a Pit Bull and other times it is a loose Pit Bull but not the lease bit mean. They do also see them when they raid a drug house and these "guard dogs" are usually more then friendly. Misguided idiots get them for guards when that goes opposite of all the years of culling human aggressive dogs.

Anyone who owns a dog, especially a medium-large breed should always know if their dog bites/attacks they could have a law suit. It just depends, the golden/lab which mauled a little girl was owned by someone we know. She was the babysitter, the dog tore her apart, her mom settled outside of court from the insurance for a lot less money. This is because she is selfish though, she was excited and said lets just settle and split the money to the babysitter. It was sick as she didn't even care about her kid who will need surgeries throughout her life, only money.

Anyway no I'm not really worried. Since they are extremely friendly and will accept almost anyone and only want attention I don't see why I would be worried about a law suit. I'm more worried about them being stolen then anything else. People often steal them for resale, fighting, or just because they want them, this has happened often in my area.

I especially shouldn't be worried about loved ones. My parents and in laws both have Pit Bulls so they are fine with the dogs. I'm not sure there are too many other breeds I'd fully trust around kids. Our late female took to any child, like it was her own. Even before we had any kids she stopped my husbands cousins son from running in the street and corralled him back. The only bad thing she did was eat his crayons and got sick. At dog shows she would watch my son and never wanted him out of her sight. They also take the "beatings" of kids as play and affection. Kids should be taught to respect dogs but when they are really little they are curious and still learning about their world. So they might hit, pinch, pull, ect.
Now if I owned another breed like a Rhodesian Ridgeback I wouldn't trust them to put up with small children and wouldn't expect them to accept unknown children. They can be good with them when raised with them and the kids don't bug the dog. That is why they are really recommended for older children. Because they don't like how little kids might treat them. I go by the breeds traits on my level of "concern" and what to do and what not to do. That makes sense to me and thought it would be the most logical.

I do realize they could harm other dogs, but since I live out in the country there are not really other dogs out and about too often. I take mine on walks and to dog shows but they are fine. They have been attacked by other dogs but not attacked other dogs. If you have looked at any of the Pit Bull threads you might have seen Vipette a little pup, her great great Grandma was attacked by an Australian Cattle Dog and had to have her head stapled back together. I also know that if something does happen with my dog that I can stop my dog from harming another dog. Having control or knowing how to stop the situation keeps other dogs from getting harmed. So then I won't be sued. I have been bit by a dog also when they attacked my dog and I was trying to stop it.

I don't understand how it is a risk? How can you come here and chose one breed as being a risk? When owning a dog period is a liability. Then the fact that there are several other breeds which could be considered a bigger "risk" of harming a person and having a law suit. I'm more worried of getting a law suit from my Cane Corso then a my Pit Bulls. When I started getting into guardian breeds it was a big adjustment from having super friendly Pits to having a dog that is reserved with strangers and will also exhibit defense of property. Since Pits are human friendly and Corsos are bred as guardians it her natural instinct. I do of course properly train and socialize all my dogs, but I know if someone comes here without permission she might bite or attack them. Where my Pit Bulls let people in the house when I'm not there I'm sure she probably won't when she grows up. We were home the other day when the UPS guy came, but were almost asleep, we heard the front door slam and we thought it was someone breaking in. Really scared me and I know the dogs probably wouldn't stop a true intruder so what was I to think. We have had family and friends come in our home when we are gone, dogs never harm any of them. Including the people they have never met before. I know when my girl (Cane Corso) grows up this might have to stop. She already alerts, where none of my Pits bark at anyone. My friend came here last night my CC sounded pretty scary. I didn't know who it was because the security monitor showed a different car then hers and the dog was barking like that. It was just her though and the dog was just doing what is natural for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs