Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 50,377 times

Advertisements

Did your vet talk to you about just plain rice and cooked ground beef? It works. I also tried a probiotic when my dog ate feral cat feces. Wasn't really sure if it helped, but my vet said it would be soothing to his digestive tract. I was never able to break him of the habit of eating wild.... In the past, he did test positive for coccidia from eating wild goose feces. Even a change in feed can be upsetting to the GI tract. Blood in the stool sounds more serious. But if the probiotic helps, then great! My vet told me dogs in general like a very bland, unexciting diet. If you are feeding moist food, maybe try dry with chicken or beef only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,061,350 times
I started giving my boy probiotics about 3 weeks ago. Since the beginning of the year he was on a lot of different meds which messed with his stomach so my vet suggested the probiotic. I tried it when he was on the meds and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. He's been off all those meds now for a few months so I recently started him back on it as he tends to get gassy and his stomach makes noises a lot. He's a Doberman, so I thought it might help any stomach issues he might have anyway. He's still gassy some but I don't notice the noises now. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try for awhile.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM

92 posts, read 316,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD owner View Post
Did your vet talk to you about just plain rice and cooked ground beef? It works. I also tried a probiotic when my dog ate feral cat feces. Wasn't really sure if it helped, but my vet said it would be soothing to his digestive tract. I was never able to break him of the habit of eating wild.... In the past, he did test positive for coccidia from eating wild goose feces. Even a change in feed can be upsetting to the GI tract. Blood in the stool sounds more serious. But if the probiotic helps, then great! My vet told me dogs in general like a very bland, unexciting diet. If you are feeding moist food, maybe try dry with chicken or beef only.
Usually when she has these bouts, I try to keep her on a simple diet (raw chicken breast w/ little to no bone and raw pumpkin.) It seems to work well. After a couple days, we slowly re-introduce normal food. We rarely try to switch things up for her. Simple treats. Simple food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs