Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times

Advertisements

I'm so lost with what my 4-month-pup is doing. He never has accidents in his crate and when he was at my friend's house (she has hardwood floors), he had no accidents the 3 hours we were there. However, he has major peeing issues at home. For instance, today he started to pee in front of me and I yelled NO and took him to the training grass on the balcony (we live on the top story of an apartment). He didn't go so we come back inside. Within a few minutes, he pees again right in front of me! When I say pee, it's just small puddles. He can do this up to 10 times a day. He is not neutered yet and some suggested that may help.

Any idea what could be going on?! He has no issues pooping outside. It's just these small puddles he leaves all over the carpet. We also use Natures Miracle to cover the scent and that's not doing anything. We plan on renting a rug doctor and going over the whole carpet a few times with Natures Miracle to see if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Those are house training accidents, not marking. Do you give him treats when he uses the balcony grass?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 AM

160 posts, read 384,829 times
if there are other pets there then yes it is marking if not i would just go get it checked out

Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Oh yes he gets treats every time he goes outside. We do not have any other pets but I'm almost positive there were others in the apartment before us.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Carpet the carpet with Piddle Pads. 1) it will save your carpet. Two, they get used to a surface to pee on and while you want that surface to be grass, a secondary surface for emergency is good to be pads instead of carpet.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Carpet the carpet with Piddle Pads. 1) it will save your carpet. Two, they get used to a surface to pee on and while you want that surface to be grass, a secondary surface for emergency is good to be pads instead of carpet.
Won't he be able to chew those up? I just spoke to his vet (she was calling to check on him since he was on some antibiotics) and I brought this issue up. She said I really need to have him in the crate. When I was on the phone with her, he peed again! It was like the 5th or 6th time he did it in the house today! I thought by at least having him be on a leash and having it be tied to me, it would prevent him from peeing but it didn't. So now I have him in his crate. I feel sooo bad and guilty when I put him in there but I have no other choice. It's like he is taking advantage of me.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Marking inside is a house training issue. You need to start at square one on potty training. How often are you taking him outside to pee? When he starts peeing are you picking him up to interrupt the behavior?

We have two male dogs that love to mark every single rock, bush, and tree outside, but they never mark inside because they know that peeing inside is not appropriate.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Marking inside is a house training issue. You need to start at square one on potty training. How often are you taking him outside to pee? When he starts peeing are you picking him up to interrupt the behavior?

We have two male dogs that love to mark every single rock, bush, and tree outside, but they never mark inside because they know that peeing inside is not appropriate.
Well before yesterday, he refused to go on the training grass, so it was harder to take him outside as often as he needed to since we lived on the top floor. With him going on the grass now, I immediately take him out once I see him sniffing or if he starts to pee. But still, there are times he doesn't do anything and I bring him inside and he pees on the carpet and sometimes pees a second time within a matter of 5 minutes.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:11 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Well before yesterday, he refused to go on the training grass, so it was harder to take him outside as often as he needed to since we lived on the top floor.

Did the breeder use "training grass"? Did you take the previous advise to ask the breeder about his training habits or did you get him from a pet store?

He has no idea what training grass is, he's only been in your house 6 days. He also doesn't know what it means when you say "pee". He doesn't speak English, he speaks dog.

If he were marking over previous urine you'd usually see him sniffing first not looking at you or standing in front of you then peeing. Now, that's not to say he doesn't smell urine in there from previous tenants which is a whole 'nuther challenge. If he's looking at you or standing in front of you he's trying to convey something. LIke he has to GO. Is he "marking" vertical things like couch corners, table legs etc?

I know this will sound "mean" but living on the top floor is really no excuse. I worked in all high rises and routinely people on the 38th floor walk their dogs as many times as necessary. Our building had a flood and people including me were walking 1550 steps for a trip outside.

You are WAITING to see him sniff or pee - it's TOO LATE. You have to be proactive. IT sounds like you are not in a routine. No routine with dogs equals chaos. Yelling NO is counterproductive. It's not HIS fault and it's just introducing anxiety.

You can get a florescent blacklight to examine the carpet and there's a remote chance you can see previous stains but since he's stained it you won't be able to be sure anyway. I would ask the management of the building what carpet cleaning was done and when. Then I'd probably call a PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaning company. It's not expensive. Something like a 100.00 minimum and 300 for the whole place or something. We used Chemdry in our buildings. http://www.chemdry.com/services/prof...e-odor-removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Marking inside is a house training issue. You need to start at square one on potty training. How often are you taking him outside to pee? When he starts peeing are you picking him up to interrupt the behavior? We have two male dogs that love to mark every single rock, bush, and tree outside, but they never mark inside because they know that peeing inside is not appropriate.

Well before yesterday, he refused to go on the training grass, so it was harder to take him outside as often as he needed to since we lived on the top floor. With him going on the grass now, I immediately take him out once I see him sniffing or if he starts to pee. But still, there are times he doesn't do anything and I bring him inside and he pees on the carpet and sometimes pees a second time within a matter of 5 minutes.
The question was how often are you taking him outside to pee? Since you didn't really answer it except for "not as often as needed" I'd say that's your answer to the housetraining question.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-07-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Ok well it doesn't really matter before yesterday how often he was going outside. Honestly, I couldn't tell you because we have had him out and about so much. If you don't like that answer oh well but I would take him out first thing, after he ate first meal, middle of day, another time before second feeding, after second feeding, and before bed, and of course in middle of the night. And no, I did not get him from a pet store. I got him from a breeder who did not train him in any way. It's in the past and I'm asking for advice for the current moment. He has no problem using the grass now. The issue that's occurring is if I see him peeing and take him outside to the grass and he does nothing and as soon as he comes in he will go again and sometimes go a second time in a matter of minutes. He isn't marking furniture, just certain carpet areas.

When I see him sniffing, I take him outside. How is that too late? That's telling us he needs to go. Heck as I was typing this I saw him sniffing and I let him out on the balcony and he went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs