Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

if you are home, and it is not seperation stress. You have a water bottle, and/or a can
of coins,why to distract the dog. you, are there, and leave, come in and say no barking, and spray to the face-it does not hurt. then leave, and come in, and say no barking-
the coin train-is if you have a dog who barks-you need to come in, ignore, and throw the noise, so dog does not see you as evil? For some it does work, some no. the dog sees the noise for barking. does not see you as bad? From what I have read collars may or not work. when this barking, just go out, come in, do not speak, ignore- repeat.

it takes lots of time- sometime a crate works, sometime no.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I will have to try that water bottle trick. So I just douse him? I am kidding.

I have a spray bottle that I use to wet my daughter's hair when I brush it.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 AM

52 posts, read 63,350 times
A shock collar just the sound of it makes me cringe I just have a hard time seeing myself zapping a dog. Most of the time the reason why a dog is acting out is because it has pent up energy and just has to get it out alot of times a walk won't do it unless it is a very long one so maybe a good idea for you would be a dog treadmill either a carpet mill or a slat mill if your dog has any drive to work a favorite toy will get the dog to turn the mill. It will cost a few hundred dollars but your dogs will get in great shape and will probably add some years to their lives I mean it your dogs will thank you for it if they are of medium size and full grown they are great for any dog owner and in opinion is a must for any medium to large 40 lb and up dog.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I have several dogs, all who I am crazy about. My oldest is a 7 year old Lab, who by nature is fairly tentative. He is kind of needy and not in any way the alpha dog - except when other dogs walk by the house. Seems like every night between 6 and maybe 7:30, when people are walking their dogs after work, he becomes unglued and barks his head off, lunges at the front window etc. It seems like lately he has been getting worse, or I am just getting less tolerant. I have tried several different things advised by a dog trainer, and nothing has worked so far. My last resort is a shock collar, which I am loathe to use. Has anyone found them to be helpful for this situation? I do not want my dog to be freaked out or anything - I just would like him not to bark. Anyone with experiences to share would be most appreciated!
I don't like shock collars at all. What happens when you go to put the regular collar on your dog to walk him? Will he think he is getting the shock collar put on him and then you have a whole "nother" problem of him not wanting to put his collar on. My sister lives in California and she has a "barker" as well. She has a collar that gives a little spritz of citronella (don't care for this either) when her dog barks. Barking is not tolerated well out there I guess and they can get a hefty fine if the dog is not quieted somehow.

Prior to us having adopted our eerily quiet Pit bull...we had a black lab pit bull mix and she barked at EVERYTHING..if a hot air balloon went over the house, she would bark until it disappeared....people, other dogs, fireworks...anything. No matter what we did to her, she was a barker until the day she died. Frustrating to say the least.

My advice...take your dog to a trainer and really be aggressive with training him not to bark quite so much..I am sure there is someone out there who can help you without the use of shock or smelly collars. Good Luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
closed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs