Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,204 times

Advertisements

I'm so impressed by Eldad Hagar. He has rescued countless strays in the LA area (and has helped me with dogs more than one occasion) but word about his skill has spread and he's been called to help in places all over the country and beyond.

Yesterday he posted that he was headed to the Great White North to catch a wolf hybrid. I have the utmost confidence in Eldad's abilities but I was worried that it might take him a while to catch an animal who has lived on his own for 3 years (the reason it was urgent was that local authorities were preparing to shoot the animal). Today he posted that they had successfully captured Loki.

Well, that was fast! I was surprised but then again, knowing Eldad, I'm not so surprised. Loki's story can be accessed here:
https://www.facebook.com/eldad75

Last edited by atina33; 09-27-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 03:22 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I am so glad that he caught him so that he was not killed. He looks like a beautiful animal.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:42 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
What a beautiful pup, I love that the ladies didn't just feed him but gave him toys too.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
If you took the time to actually READ the news story..............The town of Hay River was NOT going to shoot, and kill the animal. The Mayor was quoted as saying........."We will tranquilize the animal, with a dart gun , and then it can be given the woman who wants to try to domesticate it ".

Of course, the truth is much less interesting than a hysterical post here, isn't it ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
I didn't see it as a hysterical post, but to each his own.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM

30,536 posts, read 16,231,137 times
I don't know as I'd call it hysterical either but it was still misleading-making people out to be mean nasty villians when they actually weren't.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM

My apologies. It was late when I read it.

However, I had also read this http://giftofloki.com which does discuss the possibility of officials ending Loki's life. Guess that's what caused the hysteria. (;

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If you took the time to actually READ the news story..............The town of Hay River was NOT going to shoot, and kill the animal. The Mayor was quoted as saying........."We will tranquilize the animal, with a dart gun , and then it can be given the woman who wants to try to domesticate it ".

Of course, the truth is much less interesting than a hysterical post here, isn't it ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Last edited by atina33; 09-28-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Your apology is welcome.

On a somewhat related topic.........I have to point out that the wolves , that used to roam over much of the north western USA, were hunted all most to extinction. In Canada, the wolf population is a lot more numerous and packs are healthy.

Canada has sent wild wolves to the western USA, to repopulate, what used to be their natural habitat. That has of course, upset the hunters, who insist that they have the god given right to kill any thing that they want to shoot. Thank goodness that kind of gun nuttiness is not allowed, here in Canada. No one here is allowed to carry a hand gun around "for protection" against other humans. And hunters are tested, licensed, have to pass a Police investigation, before they can have a rifle or shotgun. And they are required to obey the laws that are on the books, and are prosecuted, if they do not do so.

Surprise home inspections, by the local Police are common here, to make sure that all firearms are locked in a gun safe, with trigger locks, and the ammo must be stored in a separate and locked safe. Failure to do so will result in on the spot confiscation of the weapons, and a charge of "unsafe storage of weapons " will be laid. Conviction results in the weapons being destroyed, and the person convicted is looking at a year in prison, and a life time ban on further gun ownership, any where in Canada. That felony conviction also results in their not being able to travel, outside of Canada, as most other countries will deny a visa to a person convicted of a crime involving guns.

Yes we are serious about that sort of thing, here.

Jim B

Toronto.

im B

Toronto.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Just wonder where the animal is now. There have been some disturbing stories circulating quietly about him for a while and some are starting to be spoken about in the news. Some of the animals he's saved have been left at shelters and others just out and out abandoned. Some have claimed that he saves them when the camera is on and then dumps them. I don't know what my personal opinion is. I guess I don't have one. I don't know him, nor do I know anyone making the claims. But it's enough for me to be cautious about giving him too much credit.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Just wonder where the animal is now. There have been some disturbing stories circulating quietly about him for a while and some are starting to be spoken about in the news. Some of the animals he's saved have been left at shelters and others just out and out abandoned. Some have claimed that he saves them when the camera is on and then dumps them. I don't know what my personal opinion is. I guess I don't have one. I don't know him, nor do I know anyone making the claims. But it's enough for me to be cautious about giving him too much credit.
Mrs1885, I'm so glad you brought this up as I too have seen the rumors circulating about Eldad. I know a bit about the source of the controversy as I volunteered to help at that time but I don't know enough to ascertain what exactly is true and what isn't.

All I can tell you is what I do know about Eldad. He has helped me with at least a half-dozen rescues in my neighborhood since 2008. I find him to be sincere, humble and 100% committed to helping animals (dogs, cats, donkeys, urban wildflife, you name it). He is not seeking glory, in fact he actually shuns media attention on himself. Yes, he films many (but certainly not all of his rescues) so that others can become educated about the plight of these animals in our society. I think this is a fantastic service to animals. Of all the times he has helped me, only one story appears on YouTube.

The fact that he is being slammed by some on social media sickens and infuriates me because I know the lengths he will go to help animals. I've seen it firsthand. I know that if I need help later today, I can call him and he'll say "Ok, what's going on and where?" Other respected members/groups of SoCal's rescue community fully back him; that says a lot to me. It's so very easy for his detractors to take one case in which the facts are in dispute and disparage him. Very few, if any, would travel across the country to help in extreme cases or take time out of visiting an ailing relative overseas to spay/neuter feral cats while out there. He has done all that and will continue to do so.

I know it sounds like I've been drinking Kool-Aid but I feel so strongly about this and hope that my reputation here will have some sway in convincing others to think twice before condemning a person who has done hundreds of good deeds because of one case in which the details are unclear.

A.

P.S. "Loki," per his FB page, is now being cared for by the woman who has been feeding him all these years. You can follow his story here if you wish. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frien...88340937903082
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs