Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 AM

349 posts, read 423,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So, you've already decided it sounds like you feel you're ready for a dog based on this post. So why did you post asking if you're ready? Perhaps the question was misunderstood??
Am I ready? Possibly. I posted this question in order to gain more information. I want to fully explain my situation so that experienced dog owners are able to analyse and give their educated opinions on my potential new purchase. Most people here thought for some reason that I would be the only taking care of my dog (for 4 hours a day) and that I would be feeding it scraps.

I understand the fact that owning a dog is a huge responsibility. I have friends who can attest to this. I believe in debating and discussion to discover information and come to logical conclusions in a peaceful manner. Whether someone from an online forum will do this over a topic such as this is well... unlikely I guess Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,103,203 times
OP, Now that you've explained the situation better, I would do research on breeds, go to rescues and make sure everyone is on board to help you with the training and taking care of the dog.
I'd go the route of rescuing an adult or almost adult dog that maybe have some training already. I would not advise on a puppy as it can be a lot of work and it may be too much for a first time dog owner.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,896,434 times
no your not ready...for the very simple fact that you think everyone in the house will "help"
if YOU want a dog it needs to be YOUR dog...plain and simple..if everyone wants to help that's great BUT if your RELYING on everyone else helping...no your not ready, what happens when you move out on your own ect?

my suggestion to you would be to find a local shelter and volunteer your time for a few hours each day...do it for 6 months.
remember having a dog is 24/7 so you need to volunteer for at least 1 hour EVERY day...even on your days off from work (dogs don't take vacations) if after 6 months you still want a dog start putting some thought into breeds, youll be working around lots of dogs of lots of different sizes personalities and energy levels...youll be able to form a list of EXACTLY what your looking for in a dog from that...from personality to size to hair type to looks...

then continue working in the shelter while you gather your list figuring out eactly what you want...because the right dog for you WILL come through those doors when your ready!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,066,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Most people here thought for some reason that I would be the only taking care of my dog (for 4 hours a day) and that I would be feeding it scraps.
I wonder why people think that

Possibly because you said this in your first post...

Quote:
My parents have said the dog will be mostly my responsibility.
You never mentioned they you have two teen brothers and a mother who would also be responsible for the dog. You say they have the time to train and take care of the dog, but is this something they want and have agreed upon? The last shelter I worked at, my job was to help people fill out the adoption application and to basically interview them about their needs and wants with the dog. One of the most important things I needed to know was who would be taking care of the dog, and if the other people who would be expected to care for the dog were fully committed to this dog. Training the dog is going to be more then just being at home with it. Are they willing to take the dog to obedience classes, work with it constantly to make sure it gets house trained (this can mean taking the dog out every hour when you first get it), and make sure it gets the exercise it needs?

Is this a family dog, or is it going to be your dog? You are not going to be around the dog a lot, are you okay if "your" dog becomes attached to someone else in the family? My mom got my brother a dog when he was young, but that dog was only interested in my mom. He slept in her room, followed her around the house, and was excited when she got home. If someone else is going to be caring for the dog the majority of the time, this might happen. Someone dogs love everyone in the family, others become a one person dog. The dog my mom has now is the type of dog that loves everyone (same breed of dog, so it just depends on the dog).

Oh, and for some reason people are thinking you would feed your dog scraps because you said this...

Quote:
I would assume that I could just feed it some leftover meat that we cook or something to save costs.
Hopefully after reading all the responses, you know that you can't do this.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 32,787 times
Exclamation You are so NOT ready for a breathing, feeling being

Quote:
I'm 20 years old and live at home. For the past 2 years, I've been longing to get a pet. I narrowed it down to either a cat or a dog and through further discussion with my family, I will most likely be mans best friend.

Is having a dog a big responsibility? I work nights and sleep during the day, so will my dog be active or sleeping during the day with me? My parents have said the dog will be mostly my responsibility. I have no problems taking it on walks, playing with it etc.

Is it expensive? In my uneducated opinion, all a dog needs is food, a couple toys and a caring owner right? I get a discount at my work, so dog food, beds, brushes etc could be slightly cheaper. The main thing is dog food though... How much a month would that cost me? I would assume that I could just feed it some leftover meat that we cook or something to save costs. What about shots?

What type of dog is best? My family has ZERO experience with dogs. My parents are from a country where animals are ALWAYS outside so it will be a big change. I would assume that the golden retriever is a good option. I want a dog that is smart and low maintenance.

Lastly, where do dogs use the washroom? My parents do not want it doing its buisiness inside at all.
Please reconsider. Animals FEEL. They hurt, cry, love, get scared, etc. Everything a human feels so does an animal. Volunteer at an animal shelter so that you can see that they are not "it", not toys and not for your amusement. Where you come from "they are left outside"? How barbarian and cruel.

An animal requires food (of QUALITY, not Caesar's crap, or Science Diet), Vet visits, attention and time spent, not just walking them. If you work all night and sleep all day, that poor fur-baby will be alone and lonely. Your referring to a dog as an "it" tells me that you see them as objects and that is dangerous for a poor animal. "it" is a bag, shoes, pants, not a living, breathing, feeling soul.

Karma is a b***, you will reap what you sow. Do yourself a favor and get a plant.

Giving an animal scraps from your table is a sure recipe for sickness that will require thousands of vet bills and accidents all over your parents house.

I have 2 dogs and I love them dearly. I waited until I had the time and was financially stable to adopt them, not just because I felt lonely. I couldn't afford to be that selfish and shallow. I'm an adult woman and my furkids are 5 years old, so you know I waited a life time. I always wanted a furchild, but I always knew that they ARE like human children, and having them is not cheap or easy. I learn to respect their lives at home. My parents taught me to respect and care for those that can't defend themselves, especially animals.

I always knew that I would have my furbabies well taken care of or I would not have them, period. There's no in between, you either provide for them to the best of your abilities or you get yourself a stuffed toy.

How you treat an animal says a lot about you. It is, especially, an indication of how you'll treat your spouse and children. Those who abuse animals WILL eventually graduate to abuse women and children. Google serial killers bios, almost all started with animal abuse.

I hope your parents taught you well even though in your country it's okay to keep animals outside

Go on "stop animal cruelty" sites and see how ready you are or if you're just looking for a toy. Most animals in shelters are "mistakes", mistakes people like you made. They brought an animal home because he was cute when he was little and the grew up and wasn't that fun any more, or they pooped where they were not supposed to. People who dump their pest in a shelter or the street see them as objects too, as toys, as "its" that can be thrown away because they're inconvenient now or not much fun anymore, or simple because they changed their minds.

You're young, be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

When and if you do ever adopt a poor animal, make sure you know and can handle what you're getting yourself in. Don't forget Karma, it will find you, I've seen it.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times
Quote:

And there's nothing wrong with keeping your dog outside. Of course considering the way things work in North American society itwould be a horrible descision, but dogs are kept outside in many other countries and so was the case prior to urbanization a d they turned out fine.

Anyways thank you for the few who gave good info. Along with further discussion with a few friends, I will dig deep and reevaluate my situation

PS karma does not exist
Actually they didn't turn out fine. More dogs were killed by wild animals, hit by cars, died of disease, were abandoned, etc. Until they were made a part of the family, they weren't treated as if they were. There is nothing wrong with dogs going outside, but living outside is a very different story. Dogs are, and always have been pack animals and need to be with their pack to be emotionally healthy. There are actually MANY reasons to keep domestic pets inside.

Yes, it's wonderful you're here to get info before making a decision. I'm glad you're thinking about it. Foxy has given you great advice - volunteering at a shelter. You'll learn SO much about the care required and the different breeds.

As for karma, I guess we all have our own opinions there, right?

I'm glad you're reevaluating and thinking this through. Good for you.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
IF you do get a dog, do not get a puppy. At least if you get an adult dog it will already be partly trained. Get books on training a dog and make sure your brothers understand the training procedure so that you are all consistent in how you treat the dog.

The training is very important and you should be able to do it yourself as long as the dog is housebroken and has not been abused. I hate to see a dog that won't obey and just does whatever it wants. If you say STAY the dog should stay--for his own safety at times. If you say DOWN when the dog jumps up on somebody, he had better get down. There are no two ways about it and you have to be very strict.

As you know, a dog is not a toy. You have to work with him and if your hard work pays off he will be a good friend. I hope you will set aside a lot of time for him on weekends to go for long walks or rides in the car. Also, when you are ready to get out on your own, you need to take your dog and not dump it on your parents. It's your dog and dogs bond to people. If you leave your dog behind, its heart would be broken.

Cats aren't like that---they don't care--feed them and they're fine. I've had loads of cats. They can even be left alone for a day or two as long as there is food and water and a litter box. They'll just sleep. Cats are independent and they live on their own in the wild but dogs travel in packs and need others. Dogs go out to go to the bathroom and cannot be house trained like a cat. You MUST have someone there to let the dog out into a fenced yard or let him out on a leash or take him for a walk--and it's not just once a day.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,066,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The training is very important and you should be able to do it yourself as long as the dog is housebroken and has not been abused. I hate to see a dog that won't obey and just does whatever it wants. If you say STAY the dog should stay--for his own safety at times. If you say DOWN when the dog jumps up on somebody, he had better get down. There are no two ways about it and you have to be very strict.
I would recommend someone who has never had a dog to go through a training class. They're unfamiliar with how dogs behave, and its better to have a professional help guide them along. A trainer will be able to spot any potential problems the dog might have and help correct the behavior before it gets out of hand. Classes are also a great way to socialize the dog in a controlled environment.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 AM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would recommend someone who has never had a dog to go through a training class. They're unfamiliar with how dogs behave, and its better to have a professional help guide them along. A trainer will be able to spot any potential problems the dog might have and help correct the behavior before it gets out of hand. Classes are also a great way to socialize the dog in a controlled environment.
You're probably right. I just hope the OP can find a class that fits in with the work/sleep schedule and I was thinking the dog would come already somewhat trained as mine have.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 AM

349 posts, read 423,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Actually they didn't turn out fine. More dogs were killed by wild animals, hit by cars, died of disease, were abandoned, etc. Until they were made a part of the family, they weren't treated as if they were. There is nothing wrong with dogs going outside, but living outside is a very different story. Dogs are, and always have been pack animals and need to be with their pack to be emotionally healthy. There are actually MANY reasons to keep domestic pets inside.

Yes, it's wonderful you're here to get info before making a decision. I'm glad you're thinking about it. Foxy has given you great advice - volunteering at a shelter. You'll learn SO much about the care required and the different breeds.

As for karma, I guess we all have our own opinions there, right?

I'm glad you're reevaluating and thinking this through. Good for you.
Quote:
IF you do get a dog, do not get a puppy. At least if you get an adult dog it will already be partly trained. Get books on training a dog and make sure your brothers understand the training procedure so that you are all consistent in how you treat the dog.

As you know, a dog is not a toy. You have to work with him and if your hard work pays off he will be a good friend. I hope you will set aside a lot of time for him on weekends to go for long walks or rides in the car. Also, when you are ready to get out on your own, you need to take your dog and not dump it on your parents. It's your dog and dogs bond to people. If you leave your dog behind, its heart would be broken.

Cats aren't like that---they don't care--feed them and they're fine. I've had loads of cats. They can even be left alone for a day or two as long as there is food and water and a litter box. They'll just sleep. Cats are independent and they live on their own in the wild but dogs travel in packs and need others. Dogs go out to go to the bathroom and cannot be house trained like a cat. You MUST have someone there to let the dog out into a fenced yard or let him out on a leash or take him for a walk--and it's not just once a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Quote:
You're probably right. I just hope the OP can find a class that fits in with the work/sleep schedule and I was thinking the dog would come already somewhat trained as mine have.
Solid information right here, really appreciate it. Having a cat is still an option for me and was really interested in getting one until my family wanted a dog. Ill discuss it with them and we will go from there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs