Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 PM

38 posts, read 43,132 times

Advertisements

Hello dog fans,

I am looking for a solution for a small dog who I might have to keep in a house for long periods of time while I am at work (both the hours and the commute are long). I cannot afford a pet sitter, and my possible roommate does not want him roaming freely around the house so I considered getting him a playpen of some sort, and perhaps some kind of pad in case he does have to pee. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
Well the dog WILL have to eliminate it self at some point so yes if that is the only answer then a small room with pee pads, food, water, toys, and some kind of toy that is stimulating. Dogs really shouldn't be left for really really long periods. Will you be babysitting this dog or are you acquiring a dog?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Find a room mate who is willing to let the dog be out and walk him outside to do his business while you are gone. You can offer to do a few extra chores around the house to reciprocate.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggertoes View Post
Hello dog fans,

I am looking for a solution for a small dog who I might have to keep in a house for long periods of time while I am at work (both the hours and the commute are long). I cannot afford a pet sitter, and my possible roommate does not want him roaming freely around the house so I considered getting him a playpen of some sort, and perhaps some kind of pad in case he does have to pee. Any suggestions?
You didn't state if this is temporary or not or the circumstances. And it appears you're not really familiar with living with dogs.

Solutions depend on all factors not just existing solutions that work for other people.

The actual solution is no dog.

But if it's say, a circumstance where you're watching the dog for a family member with a temporary problem like getting surgery, a solution can be tailored to your situation. And even then it may not work because confinement tools depend on the animal AND human AND just using training pad devices take TRAINING. It's not intuitive for dogs.

Not to even go INTO the relationship between the dog and YOU, a stranger. NO bond, no experience.

It COULD be intuitive for a dog to ignore the pad and urinate on your bed or carpet, tho. See where I'm going with this? LOL

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-19-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
small dogs also tend to be more "needy" for interaction with people then large dogs. leaving a small dog on it's own for extended periods of time 5 days a week is no life for a small dog, any dog really.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
How To Litter Box Train Your Dog

Litter Box Training Dogs and Puppies

Litter Box Training a Dog - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

My 10# Papilion uses a X-Lg Cat litter box lined with newspapers. Katie 40# corgi [long body LOL] Uses a closet Lenolem floor covered with papers cleaned daily with vinager. WARNING DONT Used CLOTH Pads! All this does is encourage them to potty on carpet!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You didn't state if this is temporary or not or the circumstances. And it appears you're not really familiar with living with dogs.

Really, I have been living with a pet sitter for several years now. At the moment, there are 12 dogs in this house, including my own. I didn't initially want pets, but my current roommate fostered a papillion/aussie mix that I immediately bonded with and eventually adopted over many tears of "but what if someone else can treat him better or has more money if he gets sick?"

The problem now is trying to decide what to do if/when I move out and I have to work all day and have a long commute, but do not have the funds to hire a pet sitter. Currently my roommate is kind enough to watch him and let him out during the day with the rest of the dogs.

Honestly, the situation is still up in the air, I may post in the relationships section about it later, because it's my boyfriend that is the "possible future roommate" - and he and the dog hate each other. Well, he hates the dog, the dog is just scared of him. I can't seem to find a happy balance between the two and it's immensely frustrating.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:13 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
CRIPE I would Never date muchless live with some one that Hated my animals! On top of it the Dog scared of them! You need a new BF!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Katie,

I have been sincerely hoping that some kind of balance can be reached between the two of them, but it doesn't seem he is willing to bend or make nice. Struggling between the fact that I care for him, but will not give up my dog has been a source of great stress for me lately. I keep trying to come up with solutions to a problem maybe only he can solve by changing his mentality. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. I tried to take my dog over to his house last night and it was stressful. He won't just leave him alone, he makes eye-contact with him and walks toward him, which is threatening - and then gets pissed when he poops on the floor, but he poops and pees from fear, not contempt. My dog has no contempt, he is merely trying to protect himself and me from someone who doesn't know how to treat animals (he plays too roughly and tries to submit all dogs to his alpha-dog). I feel like I have to keep him crated constantly around him, and it doesn't seem fair to either me, or my little fluff-bucket.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:48 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
I'd get rid of the BF before I would subject my dog to that. For me it is kinda like the kid rule. You accept me and my kids or good-bye. So you accept me and my dog or good-bye. Good luck. That has to be so stressful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs