Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,248,163 times

Advertisements

Please don't drop the cat off, I too lived in the county and had to contend with abandoned animals, we adopted a few and located some owners but it's extremely cruel. If you can't get the cat to leave the dog alone and it's friendly what about adopting the cat? You haven't mentioned your parents thoughts on that?? Perhaps if the cat were fed and not hungry it wouldn't be aggressive toward the dog.

If that's not an option citrus is a great deterrent to cats, it would avoid the areas where it's placed - if your parents want to be passive and not do the humane thing and trap the cat and take it to a shelter its chances there are far better than on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,953,857 times
If you "checked for a microchip" then you can just as easily bring the cat to the vet to rule out diseases then live INSIDE until you rehome him.

I realize there are regional differences with how people treat animals in America, but I cannot for the LIFE of me imagine people thinking it's anywhere near ok to be dumping a starving cat somewhere. Let alone "animal lovers". Let alone also thinking that his ferel family lives next door?

AND NO DOG is going to be happy outside alone most of the time. That's nurturing whatever neurosis they have. Every dog wants to be in balance but they need to learn how. Just because they may act nuttier or unstable INSIDE doesn't mean OUTSIDE is the healthy way to live.

I realize that it seems the way you see it "miserable being inside" but you were misinterpreting and not understanding that dogs are pack animals and will always psychologically prefer being in a group/with a leader than alone.

OH, and probably if you fed the cat cat food on his own he'd stop fighting the dog for food to stay alive.

Lastly, how is being possibly tortured, or killed by other animals or people, get diseases, or injured or starved to death in a "the country" or something more HUMANE than a peaceful euthanasia. NOT that I think he needs to be PTS, but WHAT ???

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-23-2013 at 04:36 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,953,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle41 View Post
~ Note, I say "their" because I dont live with them.
Then take him home with you.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM

122 posts, read 349,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Then take him home with you.

They only allow one pet in my apartment which I already have

Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Phoenix was much more comfortable outside and she too preferred to eat out doors. From the day I adopted her then the years she spent at my parents house she always had a pet door so the choice was hers. The minute she saw anyone grab a pet bowl she would be outside standing waiting even if it was raining ( this is SO CA so no snow!) if you tried to get her to eat indoors she would run out the door and stand in her spot and if you did not bring the bowl out she would not eat. She was a rather poor eater and always a bit thin so she usually got her way and got fed outside. I do not know anything about the first 1.5 yrs of her life then the next 6 months she lived at the local humane society so who knows why she was the way she was she was two when I adopted her. She was the deaf vision limited homozygous merle border collie and had her weird ways !

OP My parents ended up with a cat that sounds much like this one. It decided it wanted to live with them and at first drove them crazy trying to get in and be a member of the family. You would open the door and there it was hanging on the screen door a good 4 or 5 ft off the ground, it pulled open screen windows and came inside on its own. Was not at all afraid of dogs either. My parents ended up giving it a home and it really was an awesome cat as it was more like a dog in many ways. Poor Kitty just wants a home!
To those who are telling me to keep the cat, my parents cant keep the cat because my dad is allergic to them. They already have another dog indoors who doesnt get along with the cat

Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Please don't drop the cat off, I too lived in the county and had to contend with abandoned animals, we adopted a few and located some owners but it's extremely cruel. If you can't get the cat to leave the dog alone and it's friendly what about adopting the cat? You haven't mentioned your parents thoughts on that?? Perhaps if the cat were fed and not hungry it wouldn't be aggressive toward the dog.

If that's not an option citrus is a great deterrent to cats, it would avoid the areas where it's placed - if your parents want to be passive and not do the humane thing and trap the cat and take it to a shelter its chances there are far better than on the street.
My dad is allergic to cats so adopting him is out of the question. They already have 3 dogs (Trooper, another one who is inside and now refusing to go out and to go to the restroom because the cat is always there, the other one is next door with my grandma who is her "guard dog" but they still feed/care for him)

Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM

18,438 posts, read 19,095,130 times
I was just reading in another thread about trying to keep cats from pooping in a yard. lots of posts suggested citrus sprinkled around. I would try anything that the cat might not like. I used to put double sided tape on my couch so mine wouldn't scratch the back and sides. maybe this along the route the cat takes to get into the yard would help. make getting into the yard as uncomfortable as possible. some folks also spray water at a cat which also keeps them away. as others have said if the cat doesn't seem to belong to anyone take it to the shelter. do not under any circumstance drop it off in the wild.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,142,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Hate to say this but you should take the offending cat to animal control.
Better yet, let the dog take care of the cat!

JUST KIDDING!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs