Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times

Advertisements

Searched but didn't find an old thread, probably I'm just too dumb to locate it. However, we're considering trying them for Bruno. He's still having issues and I'm unsure if it's medical/age/behavior and until we can get him healthy/re-trained if that's possible I'm considering trying dog diapers. I've seen both disposable and washable. I'm leaning toward washable but would like to know if anyone else has tried either/both and their opinion. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I took in a stray that had a nerve problem that made her incontinent. I sewed diapers for her and I put a thick maxi-pad inside the diaper. It was a lot cheaper than the disposables would have been but less work than just the washables alone. You can get maxi pads pretty cheap.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 PM

Great idea, I don't have time to sew unfortunately, I'm sure it was cheaper and better than what is available commercially. I was thinking the disposables were expensive and wasteful.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I bought the largest size human diaper and put it inside the "male wrap" for dogs. My old boy George just couldn't last the whole night when I worked third shift. The male wrap is sort of a velcro stretchy thing with small washable pads, but I didn't think it was suitable for a major whiz, so put the people diapers in the male wrap when I went to work. It really worked well.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
My dog was in diapers for two months following massive cryptorchid surgery until his organs repositioned themselves/healed.

A belly band is the easiest but often won't stay on and easy to roll around to remove. And not always effective. So yeah, inserting a pad is helpful.

If you can rig up a cloth diaper with the maxi pad deal like ^^ that would be good but there's the whole pin thing and trial and error or maybe duck tape.

Toddler disposable diapers took up too much space and he was like one of those kids who couldn't walk in a snowsuit. I tried cutting them out and using duck tape around the diameter. They didn't have alot of dog diapers solutions that I could find back then.

These dog diaper HARNESSES may have worked for me:

http://peekeeper.com/

http://www.staon.com/

The DOG diapers my clients use have better elastic and cut/shape and flexibility for SOME dogs depending on their body shape. My Cushings people seem to like Simple Solution brand.

A barrel chest dog like a bulldog or Pug makes it a little tricky but maybe for a Lab it'll be fine.

Reusable Self-absorbent Dog Diapers | dogco.com

They sell a COVER that you can put over whatever it is you rig up like little kids wear.

If you click on this link, it's a google IMAGES search, then click on the various photos and you can see a bunch of ways and products that people used that may work for Bruno.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...h=846#imgdii=_

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-24-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I use E Z Whelp Belly Bands on my intact male that likes to mark on new items I place in the house, and they are the best band I have ever used (and I have tried a lot over the years).

They are super heavy duty, quilted, have extra heavy duty stitching and never wear out. Mine have been through the wash with bleach 100s of times and are still super sturdy in wonderful shape. The velcro is as strong as it comes. They will not stretch or fall off, or slide around. I use them alone, but if you have a heavy pee'er you can put a feminine pad in them. I use it on my 12 year old boy who is super active, running, jumping and rolling on the carpet to scratch his back and he has never been able to wiggle out of this sturdy band ever.

I get them on Amazon and they give you 8 bands in one package, so you can always rotate them through the wash. I will never use another band. The only issue I found is that the sizes run snug, so measure well and order the next larger size if in doubt. There are 100s of reviews on their site from buyers.

Amazon.com: Washable Belly Bands / Male Wraps (Value 8-Pack) (M: Waist between 14.5" and 18.5"): Pet Supplies

Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You could probably use the washable diapers you can buy and then put a maxi inside for extra absorbency. If your dog is really active, put a couple strips of cloth bandage tape on the ends of the maxi, attaching it to the inside of the diaper. The only reason I sewed diapers instead of buying them was that my husband wasn't happy about how much I was spending on the strays I found and I already had fabric and velcro so it didn't cost me anything to make them.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Thank you all so much. I just ordered reusable diapers from Amazon. I considered the wraps but Bruno's waist is very large and I was concerned that they wouldn't fit. I'm hoping this will help, thanks again.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
How do you keep your dogs from tearing these things off?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
How do you keep your dogs from tearing these things off?
Bulldogs placed #77 on the Intelligence of Dogs list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs