Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Marrow bones are fed raw, and only marrow that is eaten. Take them away after they're done.
Hi, ShepsMom,
My GSD doesn't like marrow bones, raw and frozen or fresh. She just leaves the bone on the floor. After one day, I have to throw it away. She also doesn't like carrot, young or old. Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I don't know how you folks have any marrow left if you bake or boil the bones. Marrow is all fat and it just melts away when cooked. I tried baking the bones once and it pretty much all flowed out into the pan.

I used to use raw marrow bones, but because of the fat content I don't any more. I now use (cooked) very lean hamburger or chicken, sometimes in a rice mixture. I stuff the bone and freeze it.They get their protein that way.

What is there in the marrow that is of any benefit to the dog?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,480 times
Remember, dogs are predators and carnivores. Raw bone, marrow, and meat is a natural food they easily digest and they get nutrients from them that they can't get in processed foods. Just like boiling vegetables, instead of steaming them, takes out all the nutrients in vegies, the same goes if you cook a bone. Raw boen is also a instant teeth cleaner and builds strong teeth, gums, and jaws. But, like others have said, sometimes, dogs reject the bone for reasons unknown. That's ok.

I'm no vet, but I believe the marrow have enzymes and chemicals you wouldn't get from dry dog food.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
I always give my two raw marrow bones. Once all the marrow is gone i throw the bones out.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I don't know how you folks have any marrow left if you bake or boil the bones. Marrow is all fat and it just melts away when cooked. I tried baking the bones once and it pretty much all flowed out into the pan.

I used to use raw marrow bones, but because of the fat content I don't any more. I now use (cooked) very lean hamburger or chicken, sometimes in a rice mixture. I stuff the bone and freeze it.They get their protein that way.

What is there in the marrow that is of any benefit to the dog?
southward bound what a great idea (stuffing the empty bones with rice/meat mixture.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Hi, ShepsMom,
My GSD doesn't like marrow bones, raw and frozen or fresh. She just leaves the bone on the floor. After one day, I have to throw it away. She also doesn't like carrot, young or old. Just wondering...
Mine 2 love them, but i only give marrow bones may be ones a week, if even that. The marrow is very fattening, and should not be give often as it might upset their stomach. If your dog reject it, no big deal. Mine are eating everything like no tomorrow LOL.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 26,770 times
My dogs eat raw bones every day - beef, pork- they are amazingly healthy, have the most beautiful teeth you have ever seen and have never had any problems digesting them. Never feed a dog cooked bones - they can kill them!! They are biologically intended to eat raw meat and bones - not cooked!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
We don't do soup bones with the Rotts we have now.
They would go NUTS if I did.

Rotty 1 would slowly enjoy his...
Rotty 2 would bury hers...
Rotty 3 would swallow hers whole. She should of been a PIGGY, not a Rotty. You didn't here me say that, BTW...

So in this family. We don't do soup bones.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Don't feed cooked bones. They splinter, unhealthy, and cause damage to your dog. They are much better for them raw. Their digestive systems can break down bone marrow. You cook them and all their nutritional value goes out the window.
EXACTLY what my vets have been saying for years!!!

Please don't cook bones in any way for dogs. They will splinter. They can rip the trachea or intestines which can lead to death. At the very least, a horrible amount of pain and possibly surgery to save them.

I freeze them for our dogs just to keep them busy longer.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
I eat the bone marrow myself, microwave the bone to get all the juices going, and let my little 12 lb Tibetan Spaniel have at for a day or two. I supervise him while he has the bone to make sure nothing bad happens. I discard the bone on the second day in fear that the bone will calcify or become brittle. So far he's been happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs