Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the dog be euthanized
yes 20 58.82%
no 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,464,734 times

Advertisements

Mauling of Phoenix boy keys debate over fate of pit bull

A pitbull bites a toddler in the face and people are trying to save the dog. are you kidding me?

im a dog lover for sure but absolutely this dog needs to be put down. yes the owner was probably at fault and the kid could have messed with the dog repeatedly, doesn't change the fact the dog tore his face apart. honestly you can bet ur butt the people against this are these pitbull worshippers who won't accept the fact that these dogs are killing machines. this is a child! btw ik pitbulls are represented really badly, and can/are good dogs but these people are taking it to far.

Last edited by chazk14; 03-16-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,933,658 times
REad the zero tolerance rules of the forum:

Quote:
NO MORE "PIT BULL ATTACK" NEWS LINKS OR STORIES: We are calling a moratorium on these. They become too inflammatory and the same members post the same points over and over. Inevitably someone jumps in and says something like 'all pit bulls need to be euthanized'......these debates get us nowhere and do nothing to educate people about the dogs and the relevant issues surrounding the dogs.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,464,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
REad the zero tolerance rules of the forum:
oh. this is pitbull related, but it just shocks me that a dog tears a kids face off and people want to save it.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,198,356 times
Is it too late to edit your post and remove the breed of the dog from the post and poll?

It's a worthy poll. I'd like to see how people would vote. Just remove the breed and it will be within the rules.

Maybe contact a mod and ask for it to be cleaned up to exclude the breed, and delete our three posts.

Or perhaps the mod would prefer you started a whole new thread instead of cleaning this one up for you.

It never hurts to ask the best way to correct this so the poll can continue.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,250,531 times
The breed of dog has nothing to do with it. Any dog of any breed that does that much damage to a human should be put down. Dogs disciplining a child will sometimes give a tooth knock, the same as they would give to a puppy. This was not a tooth knock, it was a savage attack.

I'd be fine with it if the babysitter got some serious jail time for child endangerment.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 AM

429 posts, read 973,531 times

Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,456,337 times
I have to agree, with sadness. There are a lot of things that the babysitter should have done differently, but a dog that has inflicted a severe bite like that has to be considered vicious regardless. People jump on a facebook bandwagon, and sometimes reason seems to go out the window.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 AM

168 posts, read 370,853 times
We have an American Bulldog. He's big and people are afraid of him for some reason. He is the sweetest thing and LOVES kids, especially ours, of course. HOWEVER, no matter how wonderful we think he is, if he ever showed even half that much aggression and bit someone, we wouldn't hesitate to have him put down. We won't risk it happening again. Same goes for our little miniature pinscher. We won't tolerate aggression of any kind!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 AM

453 posts, read 1,537,869 times
Undersocialized chained dog.

Small child (4 is NOT a toddler) allowed to roam unattended in dog's area grabs bone from dog

Recipe for disaster.

Breed of the dog is irrelevant. A dog is a dog is a dog and aside from the rare cases of genetic miswiring, are products of their environment.

Chained, under socialized dog protecting food/high value treat/toy. From pictures I've seen, dog looks a bit underweight as well. Wouldn't surprise me to find out the dog was also unaltered

Dog had an incident with another dog prior to this. That is irrelevant. A dog knows the difference between a human, a squirrel, and a dog. Dog on dog aggression does not equal human aggression. Prey drive on a squirrel doesn't mean that a dog won't get along with a cat nor does it equal human aggression.

IMO, this wasn't a case of pure human aggression. This was resource guarding. My understanding is this (based on details here Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old Phoenix boy | abc13.com and in other articles I've read)

-The dog lived as a chained, resident dog
-The child was unattended
-The child entered the dog's space
-The child grabbed the dog's bone
-The dog reacted by biting the child

The owners of the dog surrendered him for euthanization. Not surprising since they left this dog in their yard chained. They probably feel surrendering the dog mitigates their responsibility. Somewhere along the line, animal lovers decided to support the dog and make him the poster dog for all chained dogs who bite and calling for the babysitter's head. Neither side is right. The dog shouldn't be returned to the former owner, but I hesitate to absolve them of responsibility or not euthanize the dog. Possible candidate for a sanctuary, but the dog shouldn't be allowed to be adopted or fostered into another home. Euthanization may be the best option, as we don't really know his temperament. The babysitter absolutely should have had a better eye on the child and not allowed the child near the dog.

Human error.

Breed is irrelevant.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,434,198 times
I will never understand the mentality of people who let kids around animals, any animals, cats, dogs, raccoons, etc.

Animals are always unpredictable, and kids sometimes do cruel things, or things against all common sense. Why the heck to mix the two is beyond me. I do not let any kids around my cats, let alone a dog.

A snake is a snake, and a dog is a dog; I do not know why people expect them to act anything else otherwise.

I do think society gets a little hyped up over dog attacks; the parent could have beat the heck out of the kid and the gov would still end up at some point handing custody back to the parent, if ever even taking custody away. It took my grandma just under three years to finally get custody of my cousin's kid, despite the obvious physical and mental abuse that was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs