Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the dog be euthanized
yes 20 58.82%
no 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times

Advertisements

^^ This. I feel badly for Mickey. The whole situation his was in set him up to fail. But I have to agree with everything oregonwoodsmoke said. Furthermore, *if* Mickey was saved and adopted out, and *if* something should happen again, the adopting agency, along with the new owners would be facing an astronomical sized lawsuit. And they would lose. And they would then be unable to save any more dogs. Not worth the risk, I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM

159 posts, read 169,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a lot of human error in this situation, probably starting from the day that the puppy was brought home. But the fact remains that the dog does not have good self-control and he does not exhibit good judgment.

There is a very good chance that the dog was born with a bad temperament. There are so many pitbulls with good temperaments who have been tortured and burned and dragged behind cars that still greet every human they meet with wags and kisses. If any dog had an excuse to rip a human's face off, it is they, but instead, they stay true to the temperament they were born with.

There are hundreds of thousands of pitbulls with loving temperaments put to sleep every year for no sin except there is no home for them. If there is a good pitbull home available, place one of those loving dogs in that home. Don't fill it with a dog who is dangerous.

Resource guarding or not, the proper canine response should not be to rip a face off. If the dog had nipped, or growled, or given a hard tooth knock, or knocked the kid down and scratched him, my answer to this would be different. But the dog's reaction was way out of line and not the behavior of a sane dog.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,965 times
Yes, I think this is a similiar situation to that Dogo (if I remember correctly) who attacked the newscaster who leaned over him while they were on air a couple years ago. The dog was put in a bad situation but the situation did not justify tthe dogs response.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
The dog was definitely in a neglectful or abusive situation, but its reaction to the child's offense (apparently picking up a bone that was near it) was excessive by every standard. Any dog is capable of biting, and kids and dogs can be a dangerous combination. But this wasn't a case of a dog reprimanding a child and the kid getting a minor bit - I could see a reasonable argument for that, even if I might not agree. In this case half the kid's face is mauled. It had also killed someone's pet in a prior incident.

For this dog to be safely owned by ANYONE, it would need to be trained extensively and closely supervised for the rest of its life. And even then, you couldn't guarantee everyone's safety.

There are thousands of perfectly nice dogs facing euthanasia every day who have never bitten anyone or killed any other animals. It would be nice if all the people protesting this dog's planned euthanasia would put their energies in saving those other, safer dogs who are victims of bad luck rather than their own aggression.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
I think it's very important for all owners of dogs to train a dog to allow humans to take food away from it. Give the dog something it really likes and then take it away. Make sure you can pry open the dog's mouth and remove a piece of meat, and then make sure that you carefully watch while a child takes food away from the dog.

My bigger dogs will back away from food when a smaller dog or cat barges in on the food bowl. Protecting food might be almost an instinct but it's pretty easy to teach a dog that humans are allowed to take food from a dog.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
REad the zero tolerance rules of the forum:
With all due respect, if post that have a negative spin on a specific breed is prohibited, shouldn't it also be prohibited to start post about how wonderful and great that breed is without the benefit of dissenting or opposing opinions? Sounds like censorship advocacy.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM

168 posts, read 370,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a lot of human error in this situation, probably starting from the day that the puppy was brought home. But the fact remains that the dog does not have good self-control and he does not exhibit good judgment.

There is a very good chance that the dog was born with a bad temperament. There are so many pitbulls with good temperaments who have been tortured and burned and dragged behind cars that still greet every human they meet with wags and kisses. If any dog had an excuse to rip a human's face off, it is they, but instead, they stay true to the temperament they were born with.

There are hundreds of thousands of pitbulls with loving temperaments put to sleep every year for no sin except there is no home for them. If there is a good pitbull home available, place one of those loving dogs in that home. Don't fill it with a dog who is dangerous.

Resource guarding or not, the proper canine response should not be to rip a face off. If the dog had nipped, or growled, or given a hard tooth knock, or knocked the kid down and scratched him, my answer to this would be different. But the dog's reaction was way out of line and not the behavior of a sane dog.
Absolutely!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:13 PM

168 posts, read 370,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

There are thousands of perfectly nice dogs facing euthanasia every day who have never bitten anyone or killed any other animals. It would be nice if all the people protesting this dog's planned euthanasia would put their energies in saving those other, safer dogs who are victims of bad luck rather than their own aggression.
I give this a big two thumbs up and a heck yeah! :-)

Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
With all due respect, if post that have a negative spin on a specific breed is prohibited, shouldn't it also be prohibited to start post about how wonderful and great that breed is without the benefit of dissenting or opposing opinions? Sounds like censorship advocacy.
Opposing opinions are great and CD encourages that type of interaction here but when it comes to Pitbull (types) that is NEVER the case here anymore. You have people on both sides of the isle, nutjobs who believe the stronger bite than a shark etc etc and those who will usually defend em at all cost and then any kind of rationale goes out the window and just becomes a flame post, you can see it from a million miles away that a thread will be closed eventually.

Back on topic, the dog needs to be put down. I get the human error but the fact of the matter is the dog is too risky to have around anymore, id say that for any breed. You have to let your feelings be put away and realise this.

The dog never stood a chance. If a dog values a bone that much or its territory that much you've got problems that the owner brought on himself. Chaining a dog, any dog up and neglecting it will make any dog "snap" like that. If you tie me to a stake and only give me 18' for space and ignore me just giving me the bear essentials to survive there is a pretty good chance I would kill the first person that even slightly annoys me if I get the chance.

The owners of the dog need to pony up a lot of cash and do some community service too. I am not Gov Nazi by any stretch, they shouldn't be in your business but you shouldnt be able to get a dog and chain it up like that. Ignorance has repercussions and unfortunately this innocent child paid the price and ultimately the dog will too. There is (surely) no way that the dog will not be put to sleep.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
1: NO
2: where where the kids parents, no RESPONSIBLE adult allows their young child around ANY dog unsupervised be it a Chihuahua or a mastiff...
3: the dog was chained, and had a high alue resource, this has NOTHING to do with the dog and everything to do with BAD HUMANS...the dog SHOUDL be removed from the situation, properly evaluated for behavior sna resource guarding and its fate decided rom there, but this has nothing to do with the dog (or its breed)
had the dogs owners and childs parents been responsible, the situation would have never occurred and the dog would have never felt the need to react in such a way...
see i was raised around labs and goldens and my parents didn't hesitate to leave us with the dogs. not once did any of our dogs hurt me or my siblings. like others have said all our dogs were trained to not freak out if you took their food. imo if you can't trust a dog around children its not worth owning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs