Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,677 times

Advertisements

I am a big dog lover not for long, but I can't believe that some people can do that to pets, I know people who have 20 cats and they are all outside all the time even with the bad winter we had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a lot of people out there who think that a properly cared for animal is abused. So, those of you who think it is OK to steal a dog that is not well cared for, how happy would you be to have some stranger get it into their head that your dog wasn't getting proper care?

You think they should just take it and have no consequences a soon as they decided that the dog was abused? You don't think you'd like a chance to present your side of the story and have someone with some authority take a look at your pet before your dog disappeared to nobody knows where?

Where do you draw the line? Who gets to decide if care is adequate? You think those people should be the ones to decide whose dog gets stolen with no consequences?

That's why you report animal abuse to the proper authorities and let them decide what is abuse and what isn't. You don't get to be the one who decides, because maybe you are as wackadoodle as the people who let chickens out of their coops to fly free.
^^^ Good points here ^^^
I went to the article to see what kind of dog. It it had been a hairless Chinese crested, I could understand the concern. However, a 'dog left out in freezing temperatures' is not an across the board standard of abuse.
Sled dogs live in the snow. My big dog was a mutt. He did not have the huskey coat, but a coat more like the dog that was stolen. My dog prefered to be outside, even when it was snowing or freezing. My cat does too. When the weather would get bad, I would call the dog inside. He came in for only two reasons; he was very obeidiant and he was hoping for some food treat. After about 10 minutes he would be at the door asking to go outside. He spent the majority of his life outdoors and that was his choice. So it bothers me when I see people claim that having 'outdoor dogs' is not loving and caring to the dog.
And I am also one who opens the door to my chicken coop, however, my chickens don't fly and I'm not a whackadoodle.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
And I am also one who opens the door to my chicken coop, however, my chickens don't fly and I'm not a whackadoodle.
I am going to assume that they are your own chickens and you are not turning them out to return to the wild where they belong.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
The LAW: Animals = PROPERTY and as sad as animal abuse is, people can't go stealing from others because they don't agree. If you don't agree, get the authorities involved, and keep complaining about it until something gets done. I would call every single day. I'm serious, I call it "polite harrassment" and it gets things done with city authorities, dodgy landlords who won't give back the security deposit or fix your heat and such.

Sorry this dog was abused but people can't go taking the law into their own hands (and frankly, not too bright thinking she can).
Technically.... My last dog Rosie I PROUDLY stole from a dog fighter. I asked to pay just to get her out of there, and he said no. I went right back and stole her. I'll gladly get probation for that. Turned out to be a hell of a dog.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 21,208 times
I think what the woman did was right. I am an animal right activist and if the authorities takes the dog there is a good chance it will be taken to a "kill shelter" and quite possibly put down. This woman was doing the humane thing. We need more people like her. If you don't agree with her. Tough.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:55 PM

148 posts, read 262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Technically.... My last dog Rosie I PROUDLY stole from a dog fighter. I asked to pay just to get her out of there, and he said no. I went right back and stole her. I'll gladly get probation for that. Turned out to be a hell of a dog.
Turned out to be a hell of a dog THAT YOU STOLE. You should have called the authorities if it was so bad YOU ARE A CRIMINAL!!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:09 PM

14 posts, read 21,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
I agree with what you did. There is so much trash out there that abuse dogs and the authorities do nothing. If I see a dog being abused like being left outside in the cold weather, I would gladly take it. I saw a poodle dog the street from me on a leash in the side yard with the temp in the 20's. I waited one hour and went back to the house and was ready to take it, but the people took the dog in. I will always be a voice for animals, whether you like it or not.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 PM

148 posts, read 262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
I agree with what you did.
Are you for real? You agree? Really? YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES, HOW CAN YOU AGREE? I love dogs as much as the next person, but this is very poor judgment and frankly, not a very intelligent thing to say. Another person with good but very poorly thought intentions.

And I don't know where you people are living that you can call and report animal abuse repeatedly and they don't even come out. When I called on my former neighbor my city sent someone out the next day. Not very difficult, folks.

Arrogant people think the law is for everyone else, not them....

Old 03-30-2014, 08:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
And I don't know where you people are living that you can call and report animal abuse repeatedly and they don't even come out. When I called on my former neighbor my city sent someone out the next day. Not very difficult, folks.

Arrogant people think the law is for everyone else, not them....
Oh, please, you must be so naive to believe that a simple single complaint/phone call will bring the animal control out. It is quite common. If the law doesn't bother to come, take matters in your own hands. Or the dog freezes to death.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a lot of people out there who think that a properly cared for animal is abused. So, those of you who think it is OK to steal a dog that is not well cared for, how happy would you be to have some stranger get it into their head that your dog wasn't getting proper care?

You think they should just take it and have no consequences a soon as they decided that the dog was abused? You don't think you'd like a chance to present your side of the story and have someone with some authority take a look at your pet before your dog disappeared to nobody knows where?

I've heard people who were really upset about "starving" horses when those fat horses were standing in pasture up to their knees. I've seen people declare that mud on an animal's coat from playing outside was proof of neglect. I've heard charges of abuse when the dog was left in the house while the owner went to work, or the dog didn't get "enough" walks in a day.

Where do you draw the line? Who gets to decide if care is adequate? You think those people should be the ones to decide whose dog gets stolen with no consequences?

That's why you report animal abuse to the proper authorities and let them decide what is abuse and what isn't. You don't get to be the one who decides, because maybe you are as wackadoodle as the people who let chickens out of their coops to fly free.

I know what the press is like and they will drum up drama by giving one side of the story and exaggerating. Maybe there is another side to this story, but whether there is or not, stealing a pet is never OK.
This is unfortunately so VERY VERY TRUE. I've seen a lot of these cases on FB where one person who probably means well starts a HUGE STINK (with photos) over a dog that doesn't appear to be suffering in the least!
I've been told by people not to let my dogs swim in the lake (because the water is too dirty)hat provides the drinking water for the Las Vegas Valley and also happens to be in a National Park. My dogs all love to swim in the lake and while I wouldn't let them in the Gulf down here they would probably be FINE!
Perhaps the most laughable example would be the sweet lady with 5 dogs ( I also have 5 dogs)
Who jumped down my throat telling me if I couldn't afford to feed Science Diet I shouldn't have so many dogs (obviously miss perfect doesn't read reviews) she had never heard of Taste of the Wild and her vet promoted S/D so suddenly my dogs are suffering from neglect...I seriously laughed on the way home after that one and truthfully I would have still even if I was feeding a grocery store brand because it was simply none of her business.

Some complaints are obviously justified but people can't just so around making hell for people who care for their animals in a different but still humane way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs