Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM

13,162 posts, read 21,180,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Stealing the dog, lying to police, and obstructing justice doesn't sound like a "good samaritan" to me, however, she paid the owner $500 for the dog, and then the owner files criminal charges. Case should be dismissed based on the payment for the dog, and resolution between all parties prior to the owner filing charges - that strikes me as a tad vindictive.

I agree with the above posters that the correct way to deal with this is to report it to authorities, and if required, make yourself a PITA to the proper authorities until corrective action is taken.
From the prosecutors statement on why tshe was found not guilty of the theft was because the owner refused to testify after she paid his $500. Sounded like the owner complained about the theft, she was arrested and charged, she ended up paying the owner $500, he refused afterwards to tesify, the case had no real complainat except for just the police report, and that's why she was found not guilty of the theft.

Had the dog's owner (who did not testify after she paid him), and the property owner, (who dropped the charges against her for criminal trespass because it wasn't his dog), had both testified or continued the charges, odds are she would have been found quilty.

She was found quilty of obstruction and will be sentenced later on that charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM

14 posts, read 21,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
Are you for real? You agree? Really? YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES, HOW CAN YOU AGREE? I love dogs as much as the next person, but this is very poor judgment and frankly, not a very intelligent thing to say. Another person with good but very poorly thought intentions.

And I don't know where you people are living that you can call and report animal abuse repeatedly and they don't even come out. When I called on my former neighbor my city sent someone out the next day. Not very difficult, folks.

Arrogant people think the law is for everyone else, not them....
Apparently YOU never saw animal abuse and I can tell that YOU would never do anything to protect them. Calling the authorities can have the animal taken away-- that's right, BUT where are they taken to-- usually a shelter-- and what happens if they are not adopted. THEY ARE KILLED. I cannot live with myself Apparently you can. Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 AM

148 posts, read 264,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, please, you must be so naive to believe that a simple single complaint/phone call will bring the animal control out. It is quite common. If the law doesn't bother to come, take matters in your own hands. Or the dog freezes to death.
You didn't even read my posts - I never said anything about a " simple single complaint/phone" - quite the opposite, I've advocated being the squeaky wheel, which works, and also has the advantage of not getting you arrested.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM

148 posts, read 264,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepi249 View Post
Apparently YOU never saw animal abuse and I can tell that YOU would never do anything to protect them. Calling the authorities can have the animal taken away-- that's right, BUT where are they taken to-- usually a shelter-- and what happens if they are not adopted. THEY ARE KILLED. I cannot live with myself Apparently you can. Good Luck.
This is so misguided, I'm sorry to sound so harsh, because your heart is in the right place, I believe that, but seriously, you need to WAKE UP AND GET A CLUE!

Before you go stealing people's dogs, why don't you adopt them from the shelter? You know, all those dogs that are about to be killed. Why aren't you picketing outside your local animal shelter for this to end? Your logic is tragically FLAWED and it's that way with a lot of "animal activist" types. Your answer - LOCK THEM UP! Seriously how many "safe" animal shelters have you been to? MANY OF THESE ANIMALS HAVE NO CHANCE OF BEING ADOPTED AND TO KEEP THE ALIVE IS TORTURE. I have seen "safe" animal shelters where absolutely, 100%, many of the animals would have been better off euthanized. These places are often dumping grounds for pets whose owners are too guilty to give their dogs a humane death, but not actually caring or invested enough to do what it takes to keep them. You know what they say about good intentions....

Oh and by the way, YOU DON'T KNOW ME which makes your first statement sound just ridiculous. You don't know who I am and where I've been and what I've seen. Not a clue.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM

3,629 posts, read 7,705,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, please, you must be so naive to believe that a simple single complaint/phone call will bring the animal control out. It is quite common. If the law doesn't bother to come, take matters in your own hands. Or the dog freezes to death.
Sometimes in some areas one call is all it takes to get them out but pretty much don't bother reporting a dog with food, water and shelter simply because they live outside. I've NEVER encountered an agency that would respond to that...at least not a tax funded agency.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,323,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Stealing the dog, lying to police, and obstructing justice doesn't sound like a "good samaritan" to me, however, she paid the owner $500 for the dog, and then the owner files criminal charges. Case should be dismissed based on the payment for the dog, and resolution between all parties prior to the owner filing charges - that strikes me as a tad vindictive.

I agree with the above posters that the correct way to deal with this is to report it to authorities, and if required, make yourself a PITA to the proper authorities until corrective action is taken.
Yep....I agree. You try to get someone in authority to take the dog...then volunteer to foster it.
In fact....couldn't someone make a case for this family having "sold" stolen property....They should not have filed charges....end of story
Reading further...I see the charges for theft were dropped.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,131,354 times
No good deed goes unpunished. Oftentimes authorities are understaffed or dont take time to tackle what they deem minor issues. Lesson is this either dont do anything at all or be a vigilante and do what you gotta do but dont report it to authorities

Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,456,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I see the charges for theft were dropped.
Hmmm ... I wonder why? Methinks publicity about the idiocy of the charges might, just might have something to do with it.

Social Media scores again.

El Nox

Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,456,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
No good deed goes unpunished.
Golly gee-whiz, I wish I'd said that.

El Nox

Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,313,057 times
Also there are plenty of communities which actually don't have any kind of animal control. No shelter, no pound, no trap neuter and release...nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs