Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,184,895 times

Advertisements

This is such a sad story. If the family has a history of animal abuse( and even if it didn't) how could the authorities charge this woman with theft if she sees the animal suffering?
If you saw a chained up dog left outside to suffer in terrible winter conditions, would you be able to turn a blind eye? Not me but I think I would have called authorities or animal control to help before I would take it and claim it as my own.

Years ago every day, twice a day and for several months I passed a poor ole dog chained up outside with no dog house and it was filthy and looked so sad. i even stopped once to ask the people if they still wanted the dog. They slammed the door in my face. I called animal control and the next day it was gone. Even if it was PTS that would have been more humane than the suffering it was going through.

Woman Who Rescued Dog From Freezing Temperatures Faces Pet Theft Charges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 AM

148 posts, read 263,590 times
The LAW: Animals = PROPERTY and as sad as animal abuse is, people can't go stealing from others because they don't agree. If you don't agree, get the authorities involved, and keep complaining about it until something gets done. I would call every single day. I'm serious, I call it "polite harrassment" and it gets things done with city authorities, dodgy landlords who won't give back the security deposit or fix your heat and such.

Sorry this dog was abused but people can't go taking the law into their own hands (and frankly, not too bright thinking she can).

Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM

857 posts, read 2,219,848 times
Well I am all in favor of this lady.

Hope she gets off Scot Free.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,830,855 times
If I thought I wouldn't get caught, I would.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,846,872 times
I agree with her actions in a way, but there's still a line to draw when you consider that there are people out there who steal pets right out of yards to resell them and/or put them into abusive situations (dog-fighting, puppy mills).

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,241,575 times
Stealing the dog, lying to police, and obstructing justice doesn't sound like a "good samaritan" to me, however, she paid the owner $500 for the dog, and then the owner files criminal charges. Case should be dismissed based on the payment for the dog, and resolution between all parties prior to the owner filing charges - that strikes me as a tad vindictive.

I agree with the above posters that the correct way to deal with this is to report it to authorities, and if required, make yourself a PITA to the proper authorities until corrective action is taken.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,452,483 times
No good deed goes unpunished.

She bought the dog from them and then they filed a complaint ... Lord have mercy.

El Nox

Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,409,280 times
I think she wrecked her credibility when she started lying to cover it up. She could have gone on the offensive with "Yep, I stole him. Why didn't you do anything about this when the dog was chained up in sub-zero temps at a house with a history of animal abuse?" She should have documented everything and had enough evidence to have the people charged with animal cruelty and been very open and up-front about it.

But given that she paid them for the dog, I don't see how they can have her charged with theft. At that point, by accepting money, they have implicitly turned it into a business transaction. I hope she got a receipt.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 PM

857 posts, read 2,219,848 times
Animals are just considered property.
If this lady had tried to do it the legal way nothing would have happened that was in the dogs favor.
I don't think this lady was a dog stealer more like a dog protector.

As said no deed goes unpunished.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times
There are a lot of people out there who think that a properly cared for animal is abused. So, those of you who think it is OK to steal a dog that is not well cared for, how happy would you be to have some stranger get it into their head that your dog wasn't getting proper care?

You think they should just take it and have no consequences a soon as they decided that the dog was abused? You don't think you'd like a chance to present your side of the story and have someone with some authority take a look at your pet before your dog disappeared to nobody knows where?

I've heard people who were really upset about "starving" horses when those fat horses were standing in pasture up to their knees. I've seen people declare that mud on an animal's coat from playing outside was proof of neglect. I've heard charges of abuse when the dog was left in the house while the owner went to work, or the dog didn't get "enough" walks in a day.

Where do you draw the line? Who gets to decide if care is adequate? You think those people should be the ones to decide whose dog gets stolen with no consequences?

That's why you report animal abuse to the proper authorities and let them decide what is abuse and what isn't. You don't get to be the one who decides, because maybe you are as wackadoodle as the people who let chickens out of their coops to fly free.

I know what the press is like and they will drum up drama by giving one side of the story and exaggerating. Maybe there is another side to this story, but whether there is or not, stealing a pet is never OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs