Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times

Advertisements

I take my dog everywhere I won't be long away from the car.

Today I took my neighbor's dog because she jumped in when I was getting in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
not unless I can take the dogs into every place I need to go into on the trip...even in the shade with the windows cracked on a 70 degree day a car can heat up so quickly to such a point that its MUCH too dangerous.
my dobe typically comes everywhere with me, but that's because shes a service dog (in training) but otherwise...nope...as a vet tech i saw way too many instances of "well the car was parked in the shade with the windows down, I don't know why he got sick...it wasn't THAT hot out..."

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,240,720 times
Sure do, especially at night in the cooler weather and to the pet store. I took them both with me to the vet the other day when I had to pick up meds for Judy's itching. It was funny, Judy thought she was there for a visit and was ready to go into an exam room.

I don't leave her in the car for more than a few minutes though, and then with the windows open. I can't leave the little guy in the car at all, if I did I'd have no seats when I returned. If my errand is going to take more than a few minutes I leave it and return later without my girl. Better that than a sick or worse dog.

I really like having her with me and she seems to enjoy it, she really likes exploring wherever we stop and is so well behaved it's never a problem no matter where we go.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
Our peke loves to go on rides with us looking for deer, which are in our area. Also horses. Dogs and cats
will do too. (He gets bored if we are just going on long stretches of highway, he goes to sleep.)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If I'm not going to be away from the car, or if I'm not going to be gone more than maybe one to two minutes tops, I will take the hoodlums with me.

Where I live, I have to haul my own trash to the dump and for some reason, my hoodlums think that is the most exciting trip ever...so they get to go with me.
I had to laugh at this...I can visualize all their noses working overtime taking in all the smells. LOL

I have five dogs, four are brachycephalic breeds and I live in the desert. Leaving a dog in the car, even for a few minutes, is out of the question...for many reasons. But, they do travel with us going to our cabin in the mountains most summer weekends and I try to take one with me if I'm going for takeout food...or for an oil change/car service or to the bank where they are welcome inside. LOL

Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,240,720 times
I took my puppy to the vet today, he ate something and I thought he was very ill, (vomiting, staggering, shallow breathing and lethargic) turned out he wasn't. But the funny thing was while we were waiting for his blood work he was acting crazy, so I took him out to the parking area thinking he needed to relieve himself. HA.

He 'needed' to go to the car! He ran right to it and jumped up begging to get in. He'd had more than enough of the vet with a blood draw and stool sample and couldn't wait to get back in the car and go home. I told him the next time he wants to go for a ride he should just jump on the car when we pass it in the parking lot and skip the drama =)

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,394,351 times
My old border collie who passed this summer LOVED car rides. He'd sit in the front seat and gaze out at the passing cars, and people would wave to him. I would take him for rides frequently.

My other BC is indifferent to car rides. She just wants to be near me, so if that means being in the car, she's cool with it. The Catahoula takes it as a sign that we will be going to an awesome dog-centered activity, so if I take him in the car, he just gets amped up. He will also bark when left in the car too, and I haven't been able to break him of this, even though he's a good crate dog.

Other negatives: I'm in Denver, where the sun is intense even in winter. Cars can heat up very quickly. PLUS, I was once in a car accident here that totaled my car - I was fine, but.... The dogs were not in my vehicle, but if they had been, they would have been injured. I prefer not to take them anywhere that doesn't have a purpose. If they liked it as much as my old guy did, that would be different.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I took my puppy to the vet today, he ate something and I thought he was very ill, (vomiting, staggering, shallow breathing and lethargic) turned out he wasn't. But the funny thing was while we were waiting for his blood work he was acting crazy, so I took him out to the parking area thinking he needed to relieve himself. HA.

He 'needed' to go to the car! He ran right to it and jumped up begging to get in. He'd had more than enough of the vet with a blood draw and stool sample and couldn't wait to get back in the car and go home. I told him the next time he wants to go for a ride he should just jump on the car when we pass it in the parking lot and skip the drama =)
They can be terribly sensitive about things....We took our peke in for a checkup and while we were
there a lady brought in a small dog that had to be put down....she was crying as she went to the back
and although Caesar hates going to the vet he was pulling to go back there and see what was wrong.
Now this dog will pull you to get out of the office, yet that time it was me dragging him out....

Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where I live, I have to haul my own trash to the dump and for some reason, my hoodlums think that is the most exciting trip ever...so they get to go with me.
They must love the variety of smells

Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM

30,297 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
not unless I can take the dogs into every place I need to go into on the trip...even in the shade with the windows cracked on a 70 degree day a car can heat up so quickly to such a point that its MUCH too dangerous.
my dobe typically comes everywhere with me, but that's because shes a service dog (in training) but otherwise...nope...as a vet tech i saw way too many instances of "well the car was parked in the shade with the windows down, I don't know why he got sick...it wasn't THAT hot out..."
And some of us leave the car running with the a/c going...in some places in this country, you can still do that.

Course that didn't stop some hag from yelling at me in the parking lot of the store one day telling me how I was killing my dogs. I told her to walk over to the car, and listen. No, listen, seriously...just stop yelling for one second and listen. You hear that? THE CAR IS ON WITH THE A/C RUNNING, idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs