Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,765,406 times

Advertisements

My golden loves LOVES car trips. I conditioned her early on to like car rides. I take her for late evening drives two or three times a week. Soon, we will go to California, by far the longest trip she has been on. Although, we have also gone from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix in one drive and she did great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
I used to but dogs are better off at home and then some you avoid getting yourself in trouble with people who think it is too warm for your dog and call the police on you for having an animal in too hot of a car , I don't know about you but to me it is not worth the trouble ...better to leave the buddy at home .

Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
DH and I often take ours on short trips; she loves it.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM

48,174 posts, read 22,024,577 times
I have two dogs and one is car phobic; she starts to tremble and pant the moment she the car starts moving; she is very anxious about the vet....and anticipates a medical procedure.....It is a misery for her to "go for a ride".

The other one would enjoy going....but not being left alone even for a few mins and most of the time in southern florida...even a shade tree wouldn't be enough. This one is a beagle and she far preferred the sub freezing weather of Maine than the sunny Floridian days.

They are both happy to be left home...together.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
It seems like most people dont. But I always take my dog even if its a 20 minute trip to the store. The exception is once it gets warm. I always try to park under a shade tree and leave all four windows open about 4-6 inches. Once someone reached through the window and stole a jacket. If it gets a little warm the dog will go to the lowest shade spot on the floor. My current dog is smart enough that a couple of times he has showed no interest in going to the store if its warm. The real key to taking the dog on these store trips is finding a tree and shade. Dogs are smart. If they see you putting on shoes and grabbing car keys they are sometimes in the car before you are. If I am packing and putting stuff in a car for a trip the dogs have always been in the car before I finish packing. Funny about the stuff they pick up without any training.

During the winter when it's cooler, I do, but I don't in the summertime. I live in florida, and the summers are brutal here. The car gets too hot. During the summer we go on long walks in the evening.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs