Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times

Advertisements

My brother is being an unmentionable and our puppy is quickly losing ground with house training. My patience is wearing thin with the situation and since I can't take my brother to the pound, I've tried they say only those with fur, feather or scales are eligible.

The only solution I can see is a dog walker to do what my brother is refusing to do, (he is claiming illness/back trouble - chatter for another forum.) Having never hired one I don't know what to look for or to ask other than the obvious, how long have you done this and do you have references. I'm a bit reference shy since it's simple to get friends/family to give them and who's going to list someone that will give a bad one? I've never used the 'list' and don't know if it's worth the price, ack! I'm lost here. I'm concerned mostly for my pets, my old girl can be dog aggressive and I'll let whoever I hire know that upfront. Is there anything else I need to disclose? The older dog is very obedient and not a runner, the puppy is fairly good, he's 7 months so still very energetic. He hasn't taken off the few times the door has been open so I don't think that'd be an issue either.

Anything else? Do walkers give them treats? I only give them milk bones and raw vegetables, I can supply them if that's an issue. Ha, I'm lost.

Oh, and price, the only one I have is $15.00 per walk, is that reasonable? And is it customary to charge per walk or per hour?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Look for a member of a professional organization Locate a Pet Sitter and someone who is insured and first aid certified. These are signs that the individual takes their profession seriously. $15 for a half hour walk is a good price. Pet sitters / dog walkers should offer a free consultation / meet and greet so interview a couple and then choose. Look for someone who seems interested in doing things YOUR way. Many people in this industry think they are dog experts and believe they know better than the owner what's best for their dogs. During the interview you should see the candidate taking notes, you want someone who seems very attentive and responsible. Pay attention to how your dogs respond to each candidate. Hope it all works out for you and sorry to read your brother is letting you down.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
Thanks k9. My brother wanted the dog not me, I was happy with my old girl, she's 10. I've run into the 'experts,' who know everything, I'll have to keep that in mind while talking with the dog walkers.

The puppy will let me know if he's ok with the dog walker, he doesn't like everyone and is skittish. He growled and his hair stood on end when he saw a paper bag the other day. He instantly likes some people and is wary of others, I never know how he'll respond. My older dog is neutral unless she's at home then she's watchful.

My concern with her however is she is NOT dog friendly at all. She's fine with any other animal but will bark and lunge at other dogs. She will obey if commanded to 'stay' if another dog approaches and stop if I don't see it first but it's a concern if someone else is walking her. All that's necessary is to speak and she responds so I'm wondering how do I figure out how a potential walker will handle that situation?? I'll ask of course but saying and doing sometimes are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs