Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't have know the different appearances of sight hounds, particularly Silken Windhounds, if Dashdog didn't share her pictures here. This ended up being useful knowledge yesterday when visiting a friend. He had a beautiful black and white Silken Windhound. He thought she was a mutt because the shelter told him she was part Labrador and poodle. No way. She was a Silken Windhound. Absolutely. I told him to google it. How could a shelter not know? Aren't they supposed to be dog experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I had never heard of the breed until reading Dashdog's posts so I'm not surprised that someone, probably a volunteer, at the shelter could not correctly ID the breed. At this point I believe that the AKC reconizes overr 150 breeds but some of them are rather rare in the USA.

I do agree that Lab/Poodle is way off.

A decade ago I shocked the heck out of a neighbor when on a walk with my dogs when I correctly identified her two dogs as Spinone Italiano. I was the first person she had ever encountered who recognized them in the 7 years she had owned them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...none_braun.jpg

Just based on this photo what would you have assumed them to be?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Well Imagine this: about 15 yrs ago a friends friend went to the the local pound & adopted a 5# dog was told it was a CHOW! We cracked up laughing when we saw it! Was a Pomerain Adult Dog!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I had never heard of the breed until reading Dashdog's posts so I'm not surprised that someone, probably a volunteer, at the shelter could not correctly ID the breed. At this point I believe that the AKC reconizes overr 150 breeds but some of them are rather rare in the USA.

I do agree that Lab/Poodle is way off.

A decade ago I shocked the heck out of a neighbor when on a walk with my dogs when I correctly identified her two dogs as Spinone Italiano. I was the first person she had ever encountered who recognized them in the 7 years she had owned them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...none_braun.jpg

Just based on this photo what would you have assumed them to be?
Probably a big ole adorable mutt. Georgie dog.

I love love love Dash' s posts!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,622 times
Ben, according to the rescue is a chow mix, except for his size he couldn't look more like a Shibu if he were a pedigreed.

But then again some people think he's a fox, so I guess maybe the shelter's can't be blamed for getting it wrong, huh? LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
In defense of the shelter, most people ask what Dazzle is and many try guessing. People that know sighthounds guess Saluki , a very small Borzoi or greyhound X Border collie ( as his back and white coloring and markings are like a BC) But every now and then I have some one that does know and it is either they have met one before or they are professional dog handlers as many of them are now aware of the breed. I am surprised one would show up in a shelter as all the breeders I know will take them back and rehome them and the breed rescue hardly ever has an available dog so would gladly take it. Does your friend know how it ended up in the shelter? Maybe an owner death and no one knew about the other options?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM

I was going to say tell your friend to watch out as I know Dazzle is very elegant looking and I think he knows that as lately we have been going on beach walks near the Bacara which is a very expensive resort. The dogs get to be off leash and often the beach is empty but some times we run into guests from the Bacara and I guess Mr Elegant has decided he would look better with some wealthy couple as he blows me and Dave off and walks with his " new friends" like he can't be seen with me! The other day some guy was taking photos of his wife and they were a very good looking couple and from how they were dressed I would say they had money, Dazzle took off and photo bombed the pictures, he got right next to the woman and started posing with her. It was so funny and being dog people they were in love with him. When I called him he looked at me looked at her as if to say " do you know that woman? Why is SHE calling me?" Sighthounds do have quite a sense of humor!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
In defense of the shelter, most people ask what Dazzle is and many try guessing. People that know sighthounds guess Saluki , a very small Borzoi or greyhound X Border collie ( as his back and white coloring and markings are like a BC) But every now and then I have some one that does know and it is either they have met one before or they are professional dog handlers as many of them are now aware of the breed. I am surprised one would show up in a shelter as all the breeders I know will take them back and rehome them and the breed rescue hardly ever has an available dog so would gladly take it. Does your friend know how it ended up in the shelter? Maybe an owner death and no one knew about the other options?
Since a shelter wouldn't know the breed, they wouldn't know to call a breed rescue.

I don't know how it ended up in the shelter. She must have been young because she's 3 years old now.

I just thought it was cool I was able to identify the breed based on looking at your pictures for the past few years!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I was going to say tell your friend to watch out as I know Dazzle is very elegant looking and I think he knows that as lately we have been going on beach walks near the Bacara which is a very expensive resort. The dogs get to be off leash and often the beach is empty but some times we run into guests from the Bacara and I guess Mr Elegant has decided he would look better with some wealthy couple as he blows me and Dave off and walks with his " new friends" like he can't be seen with me! The other day some guy was taking photos of his wife and they were a very good looking couple and from how they were dressed I would say they had money, Dazzle took off and photo bombed the pictures, he got right next to the woman and started posing with her. It was so funny and being dog people they were in love with him. When I called him he looked at me looked at her as if to say " do you know that woman? Why is SHE calling me?" Sighthounds do have quite a sense of humor!
That's so funny!

With all the pictures you take, I'm not surprised Dazzle is like a moth to a flame when there's a camera around!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's so funny!

With all the pictures you take, I'm not surprised Dazzle is like a moth to a flame when there's a camera around!

They both are Chaos is even worse! When they see someone taking photos they want to be included . I am sure you have seen enough photos of them to see that smile Chaos gets on her face... Maybe she lived a past life and was a hollywood star from the old days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs