Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times

Advertisements

My daughter rescued 6 puppies that a friend of a friend was going to dump at the pound. She found homes for 4 and decided to keep the last 2. I've never had 2 puppies at the same time so I couldn't really help her with this issue.

So these two girls play very very hard with each other. Biting ears, tails, private parts, etc. Is this normal? Do we just let them go at it or should we intervene?

I think its normal. That this is how they learn not to bite. My daughter thinks it's to rough and pulls them apart and trys to redirect the play.

So what do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM

246 posts, read 279,026 times
here are a couple of articles on rough playing in dogs. hopefully it will help.

www.humanesociety.org/.../pup

www.cesarsway.com/.../What-To-Do-When-Dogs-Play-Too.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Well, how old are they now? Are they picking on each other equally? Is anyone yelping in pain? Is anyone bleeding?

Do they play appropriately with humans? What about other dogs - are other dogs scared of them or upset by them?

Rough play, when it is mostly one puppy bearing the brunt of the attacks, can make a shy dog shyer. If one dog is being intimidated, you need to break things up.

But my roommate's dogs play violently with each other - chewing on each other's legs, snarling, chasing each other all over. And my Catahoula can get very rough when invited to play roughly with another dog. My father's dogs used to gleefully body slam each other into the side of the house, making the wall shake, and they were otherwise the gentlest dogs you'd ever want to meet.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
It depends somehow on their breed and genetics. However 2 pups at the same time can be problematic for everybody. Even in the future. Another problem may stem (later) from same sex dogs being raised together.
There is a ton of info on the Internet in regard to these topics.
As for now, it's hard to advise without seeing them it person. Most puppies play, bite and it sometimes looks cruel, but its in their nature until they establish their social order.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Chaos tended to play hard as a puppy as she was always the one on top pinning the others down, did not hurt them so in puppy class the trainer had me go get her if she was pinning another puppy down and make her do a time out. So if one is pinning the other down for a prolong period I would do a time out or if one seems to not be enjoying the play I would step in but for most parts I think the rough play where they play bite creates bite inhibition and that is something I make sure all my dogs develop.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
It is very normal for littermates to play hard with each other.

As long as the puppies aren't giving each other puncture wounds or multiple scratches, I would think that this is normal activity, and part of learning bite inhibition. It would help to know the puppies' ages, though.

And although raising female littermates might be a bit easier (after puberty) than raising males, there's no guarantee that they won't have a serious spat or fight when they're older. Housebreaking will also be more difficult with two same-age puppies, though it can be done.

What breed or mix are the puppies?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, how old are they now? Are they picking on each other equally? Is anyone yelping in pain? Is anyone bleeding?

Do they play appropriately with humans? What about other dogs - are other dogs scared of them or upset by them?

Rough play, when it is mostly one puppy bearing the brunt of the attacks, can make a shy dog shyer. If one dog is being intimidated, you need to break things up.

But my roommate's dogs play violently with each other - chewing on each other's legs, snarling, chasing each other all over. And my Catahoula can get very rough when invited to play roughly with another dog. My father's dogs used to gleefully body slam each other into the side of the house, making the wall shake, and they were otherwise the gentlest dogs you'd ever want to meet.
Ok, they are approximately 10 weeks old. No bleeding. One usually starts it but the second joins in pretty quickly.

After your questions I asked and the issue is if they try to intervene, the pups will bite their hand. Also say play with other dogs isn't appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
It depends somehow on their breed and genetics. However 2 pups at the same time can be problematic for everybody. Even in the future. Another problem may stem (later) from same sex dogs being raised together.
There is a ton of info on the Internet in regard to these topics.
As for now, it's hard to advise without seeing them it person. Most puppies play, bite and it sometimes looks cruel, but its in their nature until they establish their social order.
Yes, they are aware that two females can be a problem. They are both good at being the calm leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Chaos tended to play hard as a puppy as she was always the one on top pinning the others down, did not hurt them so in puppy class the trainer had me go get her if she was pinning another puppy down and make her do a time out. So if one is pinning the other down for a prolong period I would do a time out or if one seems to not be enjoying the play I would step in but for most parts I think the rough play where they play bite creates bite inhibition and that is something I make sure all my dogs develop.
Thanks for the post Dash. One does initiate it but the other joins in quickly. I totally agree with the bite inhibition. That was why I thought they should let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post

As long as the puppies aren't giving each other puncture wounds or multiple scratches, I would think that this is normal activity, and part of learning bite inhibition. It would help to know the puppies' ages, though.

And although raising female littermates might be a bit easier (after puberty) than raising males, there's no guarantee that they won't have a serious spat or fight when they're older. Housebreaking will also be more difficult with two same-age puppies, though it can be done.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Good advice. I just want to say congrats on raising such a wonderful caring little human
Also, Kudos to her...Great job, giving away 4 puppies can't be easy!! And of course.....Do you have pics?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Good advice. I just want to say congrats on raising such a wonderful caring little human
Also, Kudos to her...Great job, giving away 4 puppies can't be easy!! And of course.....Do you have pics?
Thanks! She is a great person. Pictures will follow. They just left. They were here for a few hours. I think their play was totally appropriate

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post

They are mutts. Rottie, Collie, Pitt, Sheppard mix. Really potty training isn't so harder for two. You have to take one out constantly so now you take two.

They seem to be doing well. No accidents tonight. That means their mommas have done a good job and taken them out frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs