Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I needed some help so I'm hoping you guys can help me

My dog has a toy hot dog that she loved before but she started chewing/ripping it apart/eating it lately so I put it in the cabinet in my room. I did that a few weeks ago and she didn't think anything of it. I guess she somehow smelled it a few weeks later and goes crazy for it. She'll try to jump and reach the top cabinet, stare at me and get annoyed, climb my chair, etc

Like this -> http://www.johnmh.com/advreadings/grapes.gif

I tell her to stop but she won't listen. I thought maybe she just wanted attention so I played with her for about an hour, nope she still did it an hour after we played. It's getting annoying and I can't just throw the hot dog away because if she keeps doing it all day then what am I gonna do if I get sick of telling her no!? This is what the toy looks like http://i.imgur.com/e4kmv9tl.jpg?1

Is this strange behavior? I've never seen go crazy over one toy like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Let her have her toy.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
It's totally normal for a dog with a strong drive. My first GSD would do that all the time. If I put the ball in the drawer he'd sit and stare at the drawer. She can smell the toy. Throw it away and problem solved. Once they start to chew up a toy it needs to be tossed. They will continue to chew/eat it until it's gone. Get her a new toy that's tougher like a kong.

Last edited by Rowan123; 09-22-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Throw that toy away and don't buy anymore cheap toys like that that are made in China, especially since she is eating them. Almost all toys tested out of China are contaminated with lead, cadmium, and other toxic poisons.

Buy her some good rubber Kong toys that are made in the USA (read the bottom back label as some of their products are Chinese). A Shepherd cannot destroy them and they wont poison her or get bound up in her gut because she cant swallow chunks.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
My dog loved to play with the toys that squeeked. I have a big dog, so I had to buy good quality squeeky toys. Left unsupervised, the squeeker was always dissected. This got expensive. I taught my dog to be gentle with the toy. I called the toys that squeeked a "baby" I would tell him to be gentle with the baby, when he would begin to be destructive, I tell him no and take the toy. When he is squeeking slow and carefully, I repeat the word gentle. I also taught him "it's mine" which meant playtime was up and the toy was going to be put up.

If the dog is so driven for a specific toy, you can use that toy for training. I would toss the hotdog, as others have said, the dog can smell it in the drawer.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
It's a fixation.

She needs nice long walks to get the excess energy OUT. Even a house and a yard is a cage. Dogs walk. It's what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs