Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,930,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your going to HURT a dog you Rescued cause you Don't want to Keep food off the table? And You Think its Funny seeing Animals get HURT! YOUR Sick!
You suggested mouse traps.

I'd say a LOW PULSE is nothing compared to getting a paw clipped by a mouse trap.

Watching the videos of scat mats NONE of the dogs are HURT their TAILS aren't even in the fear position. And they keep going back to the off limits area to keep trying.

It's not an electric SHOCK collar and even if you used one of those on PULSE not SHOCK - that wouldn't hurt either.

I sat on a scat mat at my clients - it didn't HURT.

That being said, when I go to clients' homes and have to put food down with counter surfers I put it in the sink....and even then larger dogs like Boxers can reach it if it's in a grocery bag with handles or sticks up high.

The only fear I have with the scat mat for Jackie is if it's up high on a table and she may fall off if she tries to avoid it/responds quickly and that fall can be dangerous.

I would put the scat mat around the table on the floor. But that may not be practical where the furniture can be placed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:30 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,364,204 times
IT NOT A MOUSE TRAP... Sorry I don't remember the Name its ALL plastic with a paddle on it IF it even hits the dog its so flexable it does no damage. But when it hits a counter of table it makes a snap popping noise startles the cat or dog. My vet use to order them by the box gave them away. I used one on my table to stop Misty from being on it. Course I also made sure no food. I also suggested spraying her with water! AND Yes as soon as you remove the dumb mat animals will return. These trap are Child safe too.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Hers an article with lots of tips! Please note None say use a Scat Mat! But #4 talks about the trap I mentioned! Sorry I still cant find a pic. How to Keep Pets Off the Kitchen Counters | eHow

Old 10-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Snappy Trainer, Training Device

WAHOO! FOUND IT! Theres even a pic!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
Quote:
Your going to HURT a dog you Rescued cause you Don't want to Keep food off the table? And You Think its Funny seeing Animals get HURT! YOUR Sick!
Calling me sick and yelling at me is not an effective debate technique.

I also used electric wire fences to keep in my horses and pigs. Worked beautifully.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,372,904 times
Quote:
Hers an article with lots of tips! Please note None say use a Scat Mat! But #4 talks about the trap I mentioned! Sorry I still cant find a pic. How to Keep Pets Off the Kitchen Counters | eHow
They don't mention Scat Mat because they don't recommend any brand name products. Those are all homemade solutions, and the inverted spiky mat is along the same lines as a Scat Mat.

Our Scat Mats worked so well that after a few weeks, I was able to turn them off because the mere sight of them kept the dogs away from the area where they weren't allowed. Then I removed the mats a couple months later. Teddy will still never go in the kitchen. Karma has discovered she can -- so I'm setting the mats out again for a refresher course. And I will bet I don't even have to turn them on. She'll see them and back off.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Sounds silly to me You folks will Clean a Table/counter to put a mat down to Shock your pets But wont bother Cleaning it of food otherwise. &Once the mats removed & you place food, etc on the table you think your dog going to NOT know the difference?? WOW Your dog must be dumb!

Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
Quote:
Sounds silly to me You folks will Clean a Table/counter to put a mat down to Shock your pets But wont bother Cleaning it of food otherwise. &Once the mats removed & you place food, etc on the table you think your dog going to NOT know the difference?? WOW Your dog must be dumb!
I love the ignore feature on CD. Bye!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,784,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I love the ignore feature on CD. Bye!
I love the ignore feature also but you made me read her post by responding to it. Thats ok, it just reinforces all the reasons for using the ignore feature.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,085,872 times
Gee whiz, Katie. Have some respect !

I have a somewhat similar problem with my bischon poo, who recently started jumping on the chair next to the table and eating the cat's food. And, there is no where else I can put the food, so the cat can eat it and the dogs will not ! And to make it worse, the cat's food has thyroid medication in it, needed by the cat. I want to scare the dog away, but not the cat. What to do???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs