Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times

Advertisements

My rat terrier Jackie is all about food. Kinda like me lol! I have cut back on her food. She still gets plenty, but I am not over-feeding her anymore. When I leave the apartment, and leave her loose in the apartment, or even lately when I get in the bathtub, she has taken to jumping up on the kitchen island/table and snatching food.

The hilarious thing is that she's very lithe. Somehow she actually gets up onto the table, which is a tall bistro-type table, without knocking anything down, and snatches what she's after - a biscuit out of a bowl for instance - and gets back down off the table without knocking anything over.

Pretty amazing, and kind of funny, but I would like to teach her not to do this, without having to lock her in the bathroom with me, or put her in her crate when I leave.

A friend of mine who had a larger dog, a GSD mix, used a mouse trap to scare her dog out of doing it again, and it worked great. But, I'm afraid a real mouse trap might hurt Jackie. She's about 23 pounds.

I'd love to set some kind of trap, though, that will cure her of this new habit.

Do any of you know of any type of contraption that will make a noise or something, but not hurt her?

She's very smart, so if I set some kind of trap that scares her good, I think it will quickly cure her.

I'm tempted to set up a video camera to see how she's pulling off this acrobatic feat.

I came home one day to a tupperware container on the floor - but no other mess. And the last biscuit was no longer in the bowl on the table, but everything else was exactly where it had been, and the bowl wasn't moved an inch. Pretty amazing, really LOL!

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,781,038 times
Don't leave any food on the table.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,369,036 times
It isn't practical to keep all food off the table. She has to learn to not surf. If we are inconveniencing ourselves all the time just to prevent our dogs from misbehaving, then who is training who??

Scat Mat.
Wow, they worked in no time to train both our dogs to never set foot in the kitchen. They won't even go in there if one of their balls rolls in. They stand at one of the openings to the kitchen and whine. If you were local to KC, I'd loan you one of our Scat Mats It really doesn't take long!

Amazon.com : Battery Operated Scat Mat Lrg 48x20 In : Pet Deterrent Mats : Pet Supplies

Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,348,994 times
Make sure no chairs/stools are any where near the table. Misty my sheltie if chairs were left out she jump on them then on the table. Back then my table was next to the window. But if any food was on the table its gone LOL I didn't even know she did this til one day I just put dinner on the table [chicken] & my son hurt himself! Came home from the hospital she was laying on the table Stuffed! Plates were licked clean!! I near had a heart attach!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:15 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,348,994 times
They do have mouse traps made with plastic paddles on them I try one of them. Or sneekup on her & spray her with water or a mix of water/vinager.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,781,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
It isn't practical to keep all food off the table.
I never leave anything on my kitchen table. It is completely empty, unless we are actively eating a meal. After the meal, it is completely emptied and washed.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,221,249 times
LOL...I can't find ANYTHING on my table, so I'm pretty sure my dog can't either.

Of course he's about 9" tall and we have the tall bistro style table too. He can't get up there.

I would try the scat mat although I've never had this problem.

It's also possible that if you could manage to keep things off the table for a short while, Jackie might realize her efforts are futile (she's not getting rewarded) and stop doing it. But then again, as soon as there's something up there, she's going after it again.

LOL...I'm not much help am I?

I had to respond though 'cause the OP gave me a great image!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,923,706 times
No gurl no traps!

THIS Rat Terrier toe nail injury cost the owner 350.00 for surgery and meds.

LOL I did forget to warn you a Rat Terrier loves to snack. My client had a sensitive GI from all that.

Try a SCAT MAT

Pet Training Supplies: Scat Mats and Strips for problem behaviors

Don't do all those other negative reinforcement tricks like spraying her or ONE LADY posted she sprayed BITTER APPLE in her dog's MOUTH!!!

Jackie is a sensitive well balanced dog and you don't need anything to change that.

If you HAVE to leave food out, what about a cage AROUND/OVER the food. Or the Tupperware tub thing.

Like those covers you use over food outside at a picnic but heavier like a small dog crate. But she'll probably just sit there sniffing through the bars.

These jumpers are very good at it. Is she jumping directly ON the table or using a chair?

I had a PUG client who could jump up onto the DRYER! I couldn't believe that.

I think your instinct for more exercise was a good one. But moving the food would be a cheaper option than buying a treadmill.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,709,765 times
also for a dog jumping may hurt them and get you an expensive vet bill. a friend had her dog jump from the bed and now the dog is getting therapy over 500.00 the cost is.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,923,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
also for a dog jumping may hurt them and get you an expensive vet bill. a friend had her dog jump from the bed and now the dog is getting therapy over 500.00 the cost is.
Good point. ACL surgery can cost like, $3000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs