Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,408,078 times

Advertisements

He should have call the police! Stealing is Stealing good cause or not! Touch my dog I will Shoot you! So in my eyes he got off lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can be a good citizen you just have to be a good citizen legally and he could have helped the dog legally without trespassing and without stealing.

What part of "Steve broke the Law" do you refuse to comprehend?
He could have just brought the dog food and water, then reported the owner for neglect to the SPCA.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,920,985 times
Ya I guess thats what he should have done huh??

The world is too me$$ed up now to be a good neighbour and expect people to act accordingly!!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:19 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
I would have been tempted to do the same since I can't stand the thought of animal abuse or neglect. It would have broke my heart seeing this dog chained up in the heat with no water. This was clearly a case of neglect on the owner's behalf. He very well might have saved that dog and the puppie's lives by breaking the law. Taking a pail of water would have been the smarter thing to do, but he could have still been charged with trespassing

I think your friend is just going to have to pay the price if the judge decides he was in the wrong, but at least he can go to sleep at night knowing he showed kindness and compassion to animals in need.

I hope this will be a wake-up call for the owner's of the dogs/puppies that they need to be far more responsible taking care of their pets.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:21 AM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
........He was just trying to be a good person and not let the dog suffer,I dont think its the wrong thing to do!! (Most people dont give a rats tail ABOUT ANYTHING and its sad)
Civil disobedience is all well and good if you really believe in something.

However, if you want to practice civil disobedience, you must be willing to accept the consequences that go along with it. You don't get to stand up and shout "I was just!" and walk a way with a pat on the head while the crowds cheer.

Theft and trespassing are against the law. If you friend wants to deliberately break the law, he must realize that there is a price to pay. If he wants to "save" the dog and thinks it is worth a criminal record, with all the difficulty that is going to cause him for the next few decades, then so be it.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 AM

This all boils down to 2 things when all is said and done.

1) having a dog possibly die from lack of water since animal rescue didn't respond. (a lot of good they do if this is the norm)

2) break the law and save a life/lives of a helpless animal.

Which would you choose?

I think I would face the consequences, break the law to save that dog and her puppies, and hope that the judge is an animal advocate.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:50 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,920,985 times
Yes and most ppl would I reckon.....

Old 11-01-2014, 09:01 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,235,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This all boils down to 2 things when all is said and done.

1) having a dog possibly die from lack of water since animal rescue didn't respond. (a lot of good they do if this is the norm)

2) break the law and save a life/lives of a helpless animal.

Which would you choose?

I think I would face the consequences, break the law to save that dog and her puppies, and hope that the judge is an animal advocate.
It doesn't all boil down to those 2 things.

Like I and others have said, he should of left a bucket of water if the dog had no water.

If the dog was truly being neglected, I would expect to see a medical report here from a vet stating the dog was in poor physical condition, do we have this report?

Stealing someone's animal by letting them run loose in the streets is not saving a defenseless animal, it is putting an animal in extreme and immediate danger of being struck by a car and severely maimed or killed.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
It doesn't all boil down to those 2 things.

Like I and others have said, he should of left a bucket of water if the dog had no water.

If the dog was truly being neglected, I would expect to see a medical report here from a vet stating the dog was in poor physical condition, do we have this report?

Stealing someone's animal by letting them run loose in the streets is not saving a defenseless animal, it is putting an animal in extreme and immediate danger of being struck by a car and severely maimed or killed.
Entering the owner's yard to give the dog water is still a crime called trespassing.

If you'd read the article properly, the person in question was told by a neighbor:"about puppies who were running in the street, he learned about was a dog chained to a tree without food or water on a day that was over 90 degrees. The concerned neighbor had called animal control 3 times but with no response"

Leaving a dog to die of thirst is just neglectful. Do you honestly think that neglectful owners of that dog take him to a vet on a regular basis to have a medical report filled out that the dog is healthy? pffft!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,235,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Entering the owner's yard to give the dog water is still a crime called trespassing.

Leaving a dog to die of thirst is just neglectful. Do you honestly think that neglectful owners of that dog take him to a vet on a regular basis to have a medical report filled out that the dog is healthy? pffft!
Huuuge difference between placing a bowl of water on the ground vs letting a persons animals loose in the street to run off and get killed, essentially removing their animals from their property ie. theft. Show me one person who has ever been tossed in jail for giving a dog a drink.

When people smash a car window out to save a child overheating, they are not arrested. If they essentially kidnap the child, remove it from the car, and take off through town with it while it walks through traffic, they will be arrested.

The police were involved here, so if the animal was in danger, they would of had the dog evaluated by a vet for documentation. I see no abuse/neglect charges being pressed against the owners here, which tells me the guy who let the dog loose was most likely over reacting based on aversion to someone keeping their dog outside on a chain.

Letting animals loose to run in the street is not "saving a defenseless animal" it is setting them up to die a painful and traumatic death being hit by a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs