Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,267,621 times

Advertisements

Comes down to he said/she said and the law it appears is on her side since the police are standing behind the arrest (of course that could be to save face and prevent a lawsuit). However, her stating he stole the dogs for resale might be just enhancing the story...maybe. I personally would want more proof of that statement.

Hard to tell in the photo the guy took, but the dog does not look in distress. And if the owner did just chain him for a few minutes to run to the store, he deserves time in jail for trespassing and theft.

As for a neighbor who said they called animal control three times...well, neighbors can be neighborly and they can be terrible. So, until more is known about the neighbor's relations with the owner of the dog...I would leave their statements out.

Only thing that appears to be certain is the guy went into a private backyard, unchained a dog and took him to his house. If I was on the Jury, and that is all there is that can be verified...I would easily say guilty. If the guy had just busted in into the yard and gave the dog water, he might still be technically guilty of trespass, but I would most likely vote to acquit based on my belief in Jury Nullification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,683,165 times
I'm sure Steve had the best interests of the dog at heart, but I'm afraid he didn't think it through completely. Bringing the dog some water to the dog would have been a far more reasonable thing to do, regardless of how angry he was at the chain. If he's been an animal advocate for as long as stories have reported, he should be aware that there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it. Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment, he chose the wrong way and placed himself in the position of being seen as a thief, not a dog savior.

I wish Steve could just apologize for his zeal and the neighbor could agree not to chain the dog in the future. Win/Win for everyone, including the dog. There are so many other cases of brazen animal cruelty that could be addressed, but so much time and resources are being sucked up by this case. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs