Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,057 times

Advertisements

I just ordered "What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs" by Cat Warren and "Beware the Straw Man: The Science Dog Explores Dog Training Fact & Fiction" by Linda Case.
I am excited- always interested in learning more about my favorite species.
Has anybody else read either of these and if so, what did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
I haven't read either of them or even heard of them but I'll have to check them out. Let us know what you think.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to create a thread titled The Dog Lover's Book Shelf and list all the ones I do have. So far I've not dragged my laptop over to the bookcase (not just a shelf's worth) full of dog books. Maybe the next time we have some really rotten weather and I'm staying inside for the day I'll finally do it.

ps: just checked them out on Amazon and it looks like I'll have to get them.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Haven't read them, but a book I really loved was "The Wolf In The Parlor" about the evolution of dogs.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I keep telling myself that I'm going to create a thread titled The Dog Lover's Book Shelf and list all the ones I do have. So far I've not dragged my laptop over to the bookcase (not just a shelf's worth) full of dog books. Maybe the next time we have some really rotten weather and I'm staying inside for the day I'll finally do it.

ps: just checked them out on Amazon and it looks like I'll have to get them.
Oh yes, what a great idea for a thread! I would definitely participate

Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
I just did a rough count and there are around 150 titles so it will be a bit of a chore but I will tackle it soon. Maybe start with just the fiction since that's a bit easier to list 6 or 8 books all by one author. Then I'll add the ones on training then essays and stories about specific dogs, rescue work, relationships, science, etc.

I'll drag my office chair and a small table back to the sunroom so that I can just sit in front of the bookcase and type away. Accuweather says we'll have some cold and snow on the 20th so I'll try to plan on doing it, or at least starting it then.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Haven't read them, but a book I really loved was "The Wolf In The Parlor" about the evolution of dogs.
Thank you JrzD for the suggestion. I will put this one on my "to read" list.

Quote:
I just did a rough count and there are around 150 titles so it will be a bit of a chore but I will tackle it soon. Maybe start with just the fiction since that's a bit easier to list 6 or 8 books all by one author. Then I'll add the ones on training then essays and stories about specific dogs, rescue work, relationships, science, etc.

I'll drag my office chair and a small table back to the sunroom so that I can just sit in front of the bookcase and type away. Accuweather says we'll have some cold and snow on the 20th so I'll try to plan on doing it, or at least starting it then.
Hehehe- I love long lists of books- but- I think we could start on a smaller scale with a few suggestions of books people have enjoyed.

I don't usually do dog fiction-for multiple reasons- often too much anthropomorphizing and cuteness, but I do enjoy a mystery series featuring a detective who runs a golden retriever rescue. I have to look up the name of the author.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
I am interested in ones on dog behavior. I have read several by Patricia McConnell and Turid Rugaas, so recommendations for others would be great.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I am interested in ones on dog behavior. I have read several by Patricia McConnell and Turid Rugaas, so recommendations for others would be great.
Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash is excellent. Not sure how technical you want to get with dog behavior, but to my mind, the very best way to learn dog behavior is to watch someone work with dogs who is able to point out and comprehensively explain behavior. You can read about it, but actually watching it with a good trainer is priceless.

Tawzer Dog rents out videos (like a Blockbuster for dogs); I think their fee for 2 videos out at a time is about $15- very well worth it. I would highly recommend anything by Sue Sternberg who does live demos with shelter dogs explaining every step of the way what she sees and how she interprets it. Others are Nichole Wilde, Grisha Stewart (who has done work with fearful and shy dogs), Trish King, and Ian Dunbar are just a few.

Hardcore behavior: go to the APDT annual conference for a feast of behavioral seminars with leading international trainers. Believe it is in Houston this year. It isn't cheap but again worth every penny.

All that said, there are several good books dealing with behavior. Generally anything by the trainers mentioned above. Their websites also often offer a wealth of information and any papers or research they may have done.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:41 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
My best friend (a veterinarian) and I have found the Temple Grandin books about animal behavior to be fascinating. They don't just cover dogs, but other species as well. But the insights are fascinating and can be applied across species. For example, my friend's one dog has some very "autistic" behaviors, and we actually refer to the Temple Grandin sections on cats (which she says have a lot of autistic behaviors) when discussing the dog's behaviors quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs