Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:19 PM

19,872 posts, read 12,164,754 times

Advertisements

Your puppy may outgrow it, or at the very least, diminish the behavior. My most recent dog was obsessive about going after anything on the ground, flowers, twigs, leaves, etc. Over several months with a lot of training he is much better. Time and training can cure most behavior issues. None of the dogs I have raised from a puppy have been as bad as my current one about this, so every dog/puppy is a little different. Teaching him leave it is great. I also taught my puppy "mine!" with a firm voice which has worked well for us. Playing regularly helps to burn off some of that energy. Do be careful about what goes in your puppy as some dogs get intestinal blockage from eating inappropriate things, pica. Surgery is expensive and risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM

566 posts, read 1,109,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower--girl View Post
My dog does the same thing. I asked the vet once when she started eating pine cones and the vet's answer was "Your dog is a dog. If she doesn't have trouble passing it, let her be a dog". Luckily I moved and there are not many pine cones for her anymore but I also do not have squirrels since all the acorns are hers!

I know of a pup that must wear a cover over his mouth due to mulch munching. He had to be taken to the vet many times to have many large items removed from his stomach - less they get lodged in the intestines. Co$tly.

My daughter's 16 year old poodle - healthy rambunctious and full of love - began having problems pooping. She was xrayed and it was found she has something in her intestine. Surgery is out of the question due to her age. She was given an enema and antibiotics. But surgery to remove it is all that really can be done. The vet didn't suggest that for her.

We are trying to get moisture back into her system to help her as much as possible. She was never a chewer or anything like that. We are wondering if she could have found a small chicken bone on a walk.
It looks like a small twig/bone on the cd, but it could be anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs