Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

I don't really think it is time, since my dog has been improving and now starting to eat and drink, but if the vet had her choice I would have put him down already I feel. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,242,724 times
You have not provided enough information to give you a very good response.

My only concern would be that you put the dogs need to be free from pain and suffering above your emotional need not to lose your dog. If the dog is not in pain and content, then keep it around. If the dog is in pain, but you are so attached you feel you can't let go, well, you need to do the right thing by the dog and let it go.

Pain and suffering are felt in animals too, and the dog is dependant on you to do the right thing for him/her.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,777 times
He has been completely healthy for ten years. Black lab mix. I went to Florida for xmas and was gone three days and he got something because he was really weak and skinny. Went to emergency pet place for 48 hours and and while he was much improved after all the fluids they were worrried about his weight. Thought he was retaining fluids. He was in good spirits when I saw him and much improved so instead of putting him down right then I figured I would take him with me, since he seemed happy and pain free and he didn't want me to leave him. If I thought he would be in pain I would understand putting him down. But he is just low energy because he was infected with something and lost weight and with all the fluids he hasn't eaten too much. But he is getting better every day and he seems very comfortable.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,242,724 times
From what you just described, he could have just been very upset you were gone and stopped eating and drinking, or he could have gotten some type of flu. If this is a one time thing, not tied to a cancer or other diagnosed disease, then I wouldn't even consider putting the dog down.

I have a Shar Pei Lab mix that is VERY attached to me. He always slows or stops eating and gets sick (diarhea, puking) when I leave for more than about three days (I rarely travel, but it's 100% when I do). This happens even when my wife stays home with him, so it is specific to my coming and going (he's a rescue, and we were together 24/7 the first six months I had him).

This may be a reaction to your travel. Something to consider anyway.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctselect View Post
I don't really think it is time, since my dog has been improving and now starting to eat and drink, but if the vet had her choice I would have put him down already I feel. Any advice?
I am one who is willing and (luckily) able to spend a lot of money on my dogs. I always want to make sure I am giving them the best life possible. That being said, I don't want to just exhaust all options just because I can. Sometimes, it is best for the dog, to let him go in peace.

Because I trust my vet immensely, I always make sure to ask the question, "If he/she was your dog, what would you do"?

I listen to my vet.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:42 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,076,499 times
If your dog is feeling better, eating, drinking and seemingly pain free I see no reason to put him down. If you do think there are other problems a visit to your regular vet would be wise.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times
Why did the vet indicate he/she thought the dog should be put down? Why do you think they thought that was the best decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs