Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried doggie socks (or even infant socks) to prevent your dog from licking its feet? I saw several brands online, with mixed reviews regarding the socks actually staying on the dog's feet. Did you find any that worked well?

I also saw some videos that were kinda cracking me up. This one guy used infant socks, and attached "suspenders" he made out of elastic that went over the dog's back so the socks would stay on. Someone else used infant socks, and secured them with Vet-tape (like that non-adhesive stretchy tape a phlebotomist wraps around your arm after you get blood drawn).

But I'm thinking those ideas are wayyyyy too much trouble, considering the socks would have to be taken off and put back on every time my dog needed to go outside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:13 PM

259 posts, read 670,378 times
Many dogs 'groom' their feet as a normal part of being a dog. If your dog is paying too much attention to a particular foot, it could have a minor injury, thorn, or sometimes (my dog) gets a pustule that is a bit like athletes foot. I have a special soap to clean his paw(s) if they become irritated.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
If your dog is licking its paws raw, then there's a problem. My dog had allergies, and that was how she showed it.
If this is the case with your dog, a trip to the vet might be in order.
Otherwise, give your dog's paws a wipe when he comes inside, then let him groom himself as he needs to.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:59 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,389 times
It would be better to find out why they are licking them. Imagine if you had a super annoying itch and someone tied your hands so you couldn't scratch it. That would be awful. The most common reasons dogs lick their feet are: allergies/itching (usually food or something they walk in), pain (not necessarily in their feet, can be anywhere in their body), and anxiety/boredom.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:42 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
kayanne -- I considered infant socks when Barnaby was still here. He had allergies that had to be treated with cortisone shots and, later, prednisone. (Oddly, he was allergic to black ants, cats, and certain types of grass, or so said the allergy test.)

Once, the allergies got so bad he literally chewed sores into his feet. I couldn't find socks that fit his tiny little feet so I treated them with neosporin (sp?) and wrapped them with medical bandages. I didn't keep them on all the time because his skin needed to breathe.

But little, specially made, "shih tzu" socks would have been a lifesaver!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Remove all grains from the dog's diet and see if it makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs