Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 16,580 times

Advertisements

I have always had a tough time naming my dogs! I just recently got a new dog and named her Scooter, it fits well! I had search the internet for tons of names and ideas. My favorite site was yourdognames.com - they had names with some definitions about the name. Just go through the internet and browse dog names too. Good luck on naming your dog! Im sure you'll just have to wait to meet the little fella before picking out the perfect name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 06:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol1970 View Post
Hi Everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle!

As an experinced dog owner, I am due to collect our lovely male Hungarian Vizsla puppy in 3 weeks time, which is very exciting, and as such, I have begun the exhaustive search for the right name. While I love orginality in names, I also like the name Harley (as in Harley Davison, the motorcycle maker), which reminds me of speed, just like the Vizsla, and also seems to be a friendly and fun name, characteristics of a Vizsla. I also like the name Jura, which is a Scottich whiskey brand and is orginal and reminds me of the beautiful brownish red coat of a Vizsla. Other names I like are Roman, Skye and Django. Could I please ask for your views of my name choices, and have any ideas? Errol
Since verbal is not the dog's natural method of communication, some trainers recommend an easy to pronounce (for you and family members to be able to easily recreate the same sound), two syllable (gives the dog two chances to recognize the word yet not too many to clutter the signal) name that starts with or at least contains a hard consonant (easier to distinguish from other words than vowels and soft consonants) to make it easier on the dog.

All that said, if you train the dog's name..."Jura" then treat, "Jura" then treat, "Jura" then treat...and don't ever use it to punish the dog (which turns the name into a sign that danger is fast approaching) then it prolly doesn't really matter.

I know quite a few Harleys and Skyes so I personally much prefer your unique Jura and Django. Congrats on your new addition!

Old 09-13-2015, 06:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Since verbal is not the dog's natural method of communication, some trainers recommend an easy to pronounce (for you and family members to be able to easily recreate the same sound), two syllable (gives the dog two chances to recognize the word yet not too many to clutter the signal) name that starts with or at least contains a hard consonant (easier to distinguish from other words than vowels and soft consonants) to make it easier on the dog.

All that said, if you train the dog's name..."Jura" then treat, "Jura" then treat, "Jura" then treat...and don't ever use it to punish the dog (which turns the name into a sign that danger is fast approaching) then it prolly doesn't really matter.

I know quite a few Harleys and Skyes so I personally much prefer your unique Jura and Django. Congrats on your new addition!
Just realized this is an old thread. Wonder what they decided on.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:29 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Sometimes it's hard to pick a good name until you meet your puppy and see how his personality develops. I think all my dogs had about four names each before one finally stuck.
My parents adopted a female lab mix and named her Sally, in honor of a previous male Lab we'd owned and loved. (His name had been Salamander, shortened to Sal.) She was Sally for a few weeks, but it just didn't fit. Don't know why. We renamed her Ruby. Somehow, it fit in a way "Sally" did not.

For the OP, I really do like "Harley."

Old 09-15-2015, 04:49 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
I am planning to get a brother/sister pair of pups when my two elderly dogs pass on. I have an eight year old black lab mix named "Lucy" that I think will need the excitement/ company of other dogs.

I plan on naming the two new pups "Hairy" and "Hairyette". Alternatively I might name the male "Douggy".

I had three pups due to adopting a pregnant female years ago and named them "Moe, Curly & Larry". (two of the stooges are the elderly dogs I mentioned above)

Old 09-15-2015, 06:28 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol1970 View Post
Hi Everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle!

As an experinced dog owner, I am due to collect our lovely male Hungarian Vizsla puppy in 3 weeks time, which is very exciting, and as such, I have begun the exhaustive search for the right name. While I love orginality in names, I also like the name Harley (as in Harley Davison, the motorcycle maker), which reminds me of speed, just like the Vizsla, and also seems to be a friendly and fun name, characteristics of a Vizsla. I also like the name Jura, which is a Scottich whiskey brand and is orginal and reminds me of the beautiful brownish red coat of a Vizsla. Other names I like are Roman, Skye and Django. Could I please ask for your views of my name choices, and have any ideas? Errol
I would go with your first choice, Harley but sometimes you just have to observe your dog for a while, and the name that is perfect for him will come to you.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What about Palinka?

It is a Hungarian fruit bandy. In it's aged state, it also gets that nice, dark brown.
Very nice I'm a huge dog person, and I really dislike it when people don't bother coming up with unique names for their dogs. To me, your dog is an important family member, therefore, it's important to put careful thought into his/her name. I have had Great Danes for many years, and one of the most popular colors is harlequin, the spotted black on white background. I have a harlequin myself. A very common name for harlequins is Harley Another super common name for male Danes is Moose. Come on people, you can do better than that. My two Danes' names are Infinity and Nilla Wafer. Nilla Wafer because her coloring is just like the cookie, and Infinity because I love the name and symbolism. I've only heard of one other dog with the name Nilla Wafer and none with the name Infinity. The dog named Nilla Wafer has the same coloring as my dog's. I have no suggestions for you dog's name. Hungarian is not something I'm familiar with at all, and most of my dogs have been female. But I will congratulate you on your new friend!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Names-elegant-dogs-cropped.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs