Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,582 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle!

As an experinced dog owner, I am due to collect our lovely male Hungarian Vizsla puppy in 3 weeks time, which is very exciting, and as such, I have begun the exhaustive search for the right name. While I love orginality in names, I also like the name Harley (as in Harley Davison, the motorcycle maker), which reminds me of speed, just like the Vizsla, and also seems to be a friendly and fun name, characteristics of a Vizsla. I also like the name Jura, which is a Scottich whiskey brand and is orginal and reminds me of the beautiful brownish red coat of a Vizsla. Other names I like are Roman, Skye and Django. Could I please ask for your views of my name choices, and have any ideas? Errol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Welcome to C-D and the forum, and congrats on getting a Vizsla puppy! I'm going to repeat some good advice from over on the other Names thread (Meaning of Names): You have to feel comfortable yelling the name in the dog park or out in the fields, wherever you're going to walk your dog off leash. Skye probably is the least suitable candidate. Two syllabi are usually best, and dogs seem to like names that end on a "y"/"ie." Harley is a classic. Nice, strong name. I'd like to yell "Django" myself! But I might cave and just call him Whisky!

You may want to wait with the decision until he's been yours for a few weeks. Dogs have a way of naming themselves, with funny habits or expressions. But you probably know that, as an experienced dog owner.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 AM

91 posts, read 92,237 times
Janosz Poha

Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to C-D and the forum, and congrats on getting a Vizsla puppy! I'm going to repeat some good advice from over on the other Names thread (Meaning of Names): You have to feel comfortable yelling the name in the dog park or out in the fields, wherever you're going to walk your dog off leash. Skye probably is the least suitable candidate. Two syllabi are usually best, and dogs seem to like names that end on a "y"/"ie." Harley is a classic. Nice, strong name. I'd like to yell "Django" myself! But I might cave and just call him Whisky!

You may want to wait with the decision until he's been yours for a few weeks. Dogs have a way of naming themselves, with funny habits or expressions. But you probably know that, as an experienced dog owner.

very good advice....

As an aside, when we named our dog 4 years ago my FIL was dying...He was a huge dog lover and actually had in his will that he wanted his ashes buried with his favorite golden retriever. My FIL's name was Sumner, an uncommon name my husband thought he would never hear again after his dad died. Now he hears it multiple times daily.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
What about Palinka?

It is a Hungarian fruit bandy. In it's aged state, it also gets that nice, dark brown.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
How about one of these....good luck Love the name Jura you pointed out!!!

Whiskey
Rye
Riley
Willow
Soco
Mira
Cazar
Bandi
Ilka
Rozi
Ordas

Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
I know someone who named her dog Timber.

So, at the dog park, she yells 'T I M B E R ! !'

LOL

Old 02-03-2015, 08:27 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
Sometimes it's hard to pick a good name until you meet your puppy and see how his personality develops. I think all my dogs had about four names each before one finally stuck.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Vizsla! (LOVE!) Puppy! (LOVE!)

Congratulations on your new family member.

I like the name Harley, because I'm partial to giving dogs a "people" name. (I had a friend in high school named Harley.) But I also like Django.

Really, though, you'll meet your pup and I bet you a dog treat that the name will just come to you. You'll feel it.

Enjoy each other!!!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
Thank you everyone for the excellent name suggestions and advice. I am drawn to the name Harley, but will wait until I pick up the little fella to make the final decision. Love this forum. Errol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs