Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,371,076 times

Advertisements

I am so sad when I see photos of dogs behind bars or fences or in cages from rescues and shelters. A good photo can present a dog in such a positive light. I don't have the skills or equipment but I help in other ways. I urge folks with a bit of time and talent to help your local shelter out by volunteering to take some really good photos for their sites.

One Woman's Stunning Photos Literally Saves Dogs' Lives. - BarkPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,337,614 times
I agree. The two current dogs we have were adopted from rescues based on their pictures. They had GREAT pictures on Petfinder and I was immediately drawn to them.

Then once I met them in person it was a done deal (although one ended up having some major separation and anxiety issues - but we've worked through those since adopting him last summer).

Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM

50,548 posts, read 64,549,019 times
So true. I browse the dogs for adoption quite often, and I am amazed at how bad some of the pictures are. Some don't even have the dog's head in the picture. I don't know why a bit more effort can't be made so they will have a better chance at adoption.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,403,399 times
I wholeheartedly agree that great pictures do make a big difference. If only there were more folks who are skilled photographers who would be willing to help get those great shots. It ain't easy.

Recently, knowing that Calypso was very ill and would have to be PTS within a week or so I took her out in the backyard on the one nice day we had so that I could get some final pictures of her. I shot over 100 images and managed to get just 3 that were good.

So if you have any interest in helping some group in your area and you have just an hour or two a week then taking pix of dogs (and cats) who are in need of new homes might be just the thing. You don't have to be a pro, just a willing soul.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM

20,157 posts, read 9,679,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am so sad when I see photos of dogs behind bars or fences or in cages from rescues and shelters. A good photo can present a dog in such a positive light. I don't have the skills or equipment but I help in other ways. I urge folks with a bit of time and talent to help your local shelter out by volunteering to take some really good photos for their sites.

One Woman's Stunning Photos Literally Saves Dogs' Lives. - BarkPost
Every one of those photos made me go "AWWWW"; and if I was looking for a dog, I don't think I could have refused any of them!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,873,906 times
It's true, my local shelter had asked for photographers.

My first guy I saw in person and on his dog run his photo was pretty bad, but he was a cute Chihuahua with a great personalty and I fell in love with him.

My second guy I saw online. He was last call and had been there over 30 days. I went to get him the next day. One of the reasons I was drawn to him was because he was also a Chihuahua but he was tan and brown like a Rottweiler, my friend had one that passed and he was a great dog.

This guys picture was not good. He was skinny and his face was tense. They used the worst of 4 picture as the largest one. It didn't matter to me, I just wanted to give him a home, and he is a wonderful dog, both are great, but this one is much more loving because I don't think he ever had a loving home.

To me a bad picture did not matter, but to some it does. By the time I went there he had already gotten to a normal weight. He was also not really paying attention to people he was just walking around the dog run with the other guys, but I knew I wanted to give him a home, so I did.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM

454 posts, read 498,238 times
I do this for my local rescue and it's so fulfilling. If you even have a tiny bit of photography talent, go for it. You could help save a life!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM

188 posts, read 210,846 times
I'd love to do this for my local shelter but I'm not sure how to approach them about it. I don't want to come off sounding like, "the pictures you are currently posting suck, I can do way better".

Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,403,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
I do this for my local rescue and it's so fulfilling. If you even have a tiny bit of photography talent, go for it. You could help save a life!
Not just "a life" but many lives. If getting better pictures helps get the animals new homes faster that means they can pull more critters from the pound and so many of the dogs and cats that end up in the pound are really wonderful pets, they just need a bit more time than most government places are willing or able to keep them since most of those type of shelters only allow 3 to 7 days for strays and owner surrenders may be pts immediately if the place is full and/or they decide the animal is not highly adoptable.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 AM

454 posts, read 498,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
I'd love to do this for my local shelter but I'm not sure how to approach them about it. I don't want to come off sounding like, "the pictures you are currently posting suck, I can do way better".
I've never heard of a rescue/shelter turning down any help. Just tell them you want to volunteer your photography services. I honestly don't think anyone would be upset!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs