Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Leaving dogs outside is what poor people do.
Or people that realize they are dogs.

There is nothing wrong with a dog outside in their natural habitat as long as they are provided access to shelter, water and food and have reasonable protection/containment. I have had dogs that prefer outside. The only time they want is in extreme weather, hot or cold.

Leaving dogs outside and neglecting them are not the same. A dog can still be neglected living in a crate in the house. My dogs are in a kennel while I work. They prefer the fresh air and stimulation and they get to watch chicken TV. My Shepard goes out and opens the kennel door and lets herself in every morning. They are let out when I get home and part of the time they stay out in the yard and part of the time they come in. It is usually in-out-in-out-in until bedtime. The important thing is they get plenty human interaction ad socialization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Speaking of broad statements...
I've read this board long enough and run into people with working dogs long enough to be able say a lot of people that own working breeds don't value them for their bred purpose.

Care to count the fat labs hanging around living rooms and never seen the underside of a duck? Aussies that never smelled a cows rear?

My blue tick was happy outside, had everything she needed, worked her 'job' and played with her family. I'd say that was a better life than most dogs. Freedom to roam, work, play.. She was fit and trim, no serious health health issues sans one nasty fight with one of our other dogs.

I find it wholly disengeniuos for people to consider dogs outdoors as 'bad' or only associated with some particular segment of society. I've had some people send me nasty pm's because I hunt birds with my pointers even though they are bred to be bird hunters!

For the most part we've lived on acreage, and by large all of my dogs prefer to be outside, several of them living there full time. None of them have suffered as a result.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Leaving dogs outside is what poor people do.
Really???

Our hounds are outside dogs.

Their purchase prices where between $1400 and $6000.

All four have two types of GPS tracking collars that is eight times at least $800.

Their kennel has a heated floor.

Hunting with dogs is not for the poor.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Really???

All four have two types of GPS tracking collars that is eight times at least $800.

Yeah that statement sounded pretty snobby for sure.

Wait, weren't you the guy who encouraged others to shoot your dog if he chased a deer during hunting season?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Really???

Tell me about it.

I have over $4,000 in my bird dogs, $1,500 in training costs, umpteen hundreds in briar vests, training aids, portable kennels, insulated kennel covers etc. etc..

My pointers like to stay outside all day in the warmer months, occasionally they will sleep out there. Big deal.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:44 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I don't think hunting dogs is what the OP is referring to. Those are different than family pets IMO, much different. Not better or worse, just different.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've read this board long enough and run into people with working dogs long enough to be able say a lot of people that own working breeds don't value them for their bred purpose.

Care to count the fat labs hanging around living rooms and never seen the underside of a duck? Aussies that never smelled a cows rear?

My blue tick was happy outside, had everything she needed, worked her 'job' and played with her family. I'd say that was a better life than most dogs. Freedom to roam, work, play.. She was fit and trim, no serious health health issues sans one nasty fight with one of our other dogs.

I find it wholly disengeniuos for people to consider dogs outdoors as 'bad' or only associated with some particular segment of society. I've had some people send me nasty pm's because I hunt birds with my pointers even though they are bred to be bird hunters!

For the most part we've lived on acreage, and by large all of my dogs prefer to be outside, several of them living there full time. None of them have suffered as a result.
I have high drive working dogs- a border collie and a blue heeler. Neither of them work cattle or sheep, although their abilities are very much a part of their life. More important than a dog doing what it was bred to do is that a dog have an owner who keeps the dog intellectually engaged, emotionally fulfilled, and physically active. There are many many ways for a responsible owner to accomplish that.

It is utterly irrelevant to me how much money you have invested into your dog, their heated outdoor kennel, GPS collars, etc. I can guarantee as well that your dog doesn't care about your bank account. There is absolutely no correlation between the amount of money someone has and the quality of that dog's life. What impresses me is an owner who does their level best to provide their dog with all the elements that contribute to a high quality of life, and a large component of that quality of life for dogs is the human interaction. Dogs are incredibly adaptive, but just because they are able to adapt to living in an outdoor kennel doesn't mean that this is the best option for them or that it provides them with a good quality of life. Others have mentioned the safety issues so I will only say there are too many risks associated with leaving dogs alone outside.

I don't have an issue with hunting dogs, whether working or as pets. I do question owners who make much mention of the monetary value of their kenneled working dogs as opposed to their dog/s value as an irreplaceable member of their family. I wonder how invested they are in their dogs' quality of life. I have always said that if you give me 5 minutes with your dog I will know everything I need to know about you. I can't help but wonder what your dogs would say about you?

Last edited by twelvepaw; 04-24-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I've got four dogs and no neighbors so I leave three outside while I am at work in a fenced yard. One of the fella's is 23 years old so he stays inside most of the time sleeping.

I don't own any crates; I think the dogs should have the run of the house. They are inside when I'm home or outside if they desire.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I can't help but wonder what your dogs would say about you?
They would say- "Let's go hunting man!"

I'm not sure what your last statement was meant to infer, but if you think my dogs are 'isolated' by my hand or that I don't value them as companions you are sorely mistaken. As I said- my blue tick WANTED to live outdoors. She had and made the choice, and I accommodated. At the end of a long day hunting birds My GSP's are in my camper on my bed after a nice wash and wipe down, a big bowl of kibble, venison bits and raw eggs.

If they want to stay outside all day like they did today, great! I'm not fearful of the mountain lions, coyotes, eagles, bears or other 'scary' animals that roam the north hills that may harm my precious.

I give my dogs freedom to be dogs, and they give me companionship and cooperation.

Pretty good life.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-24-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They would say- "Let's go hunting man!"

I'm not sure what your last statement was meant to infer, but if you think my dogs are 'isolated' by my hand or that I don't value them as companions you are sorely mistaken. As I said- my blue tick WANTED to live outdoors. She had and made the choice, and I accommodated. At the end of a long day hunting birds My GSP's are in my camper on my bed after a nice wash and wipe down, a big bowl of kibble, venison bits and raw eggs.

If they want to stay outside all day like they did today, great! I'm not fearful of the mountain lions, coyotes, eagles, bears or other 'scary' animals that roam the north hills that may harm my precious.

I give my dogs freedom to be dogs, and they give me companionship and cooperation.

Pretty good life.

I don't have much problem with hunting or working dogs being outdoor dogs in appropriate housing - that's what I grew up with. But when you say stuff like the bolded, you just seem delusional. My friend's dad had a ranch and a big, powerful mutt dog that scared the bejesus out of all the local coyotes. One day he disappeared and they found his head eventually. But just his head. From its state, it was clear that a mountain lion had decided to have a snack one day.

And let's not even talk about the number of rattlesnake horror stories I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs