Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 PM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I will tell you one thing. Once they were allowed to have full run of the house, not one single dog I have ever had returned to the crate willingly for any reason. That is why all my crates are stuck in my garage. And keeping them in one location is as easy as shutting a door, if that is what you need.
Totally depends on the dog. Right now I have one that hasn't been in a crate in probably 10-12 years and another that loves to go in her crate at least twice a day. It is her preferred sleeping place. Whenever she gets a treat that's where she goes to eat it, she hides her favorite toys in there, and will growl if the other dog goes too close to it when she isn't in it. She is none too happy if a small child is visiting and walks near it either.

Just because you or your dogs don't like using crates doesn't mean there is anything wrong with owners who do.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have far too many family members with dogs to agree with you. And two have professionally trained hunting dogs, that sleep in their crates. Both of these dogs are trained to a remarkable level...I mean, these dogs don't move unless told to move. But they sleep in crates, and when either dog is "in a mood" that crate is where they want to be. You may not mind your dogs shedding all over furniture, carpet or beds, but not everyone wants that. My sister's dog LOVES her crate...and will whine uncontrollably if not given access to it. My BF's dog goes in her crate to sleep when I am sleeping over and BF leaves early to work or whatever. I always get up, and there she is sleeping in the crate. She is very happy in there - it's HER spot. Obviously, we have had different experiences.
I never said that some dogs don't enjoy their crates. Also you can train your dog not to jump up and sit on your furniture. My dogs won't even go into rooms I have told them they can't be in.

And I think we can agree there's a big difference between having a nice place to sleep and locking your dog up all day so they don't mess up your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
If you're going to exclusively keep your dog (s) outside, don't own a dog. Dogs are messy, they smell like...well...dogs, no matter if you bathe them every week. Why own one if you don't like the smell/hair? If you don't want them on your furniture, train them not to get on your furniture, or don't own a dog. If you or a family member is allergic, don't get a dog. If you don't like mess, don't get a dog. Why is this so hard to understand?

And crate training is not cruel. I put my terriers in crates when I'm not around. As long as the crate is big enough for the animal to stand up and turn around, they have soft bedding and you supply them with water, the dogs will be fine. No, they should not live 24/7 in a crate, but confining them occasionally for their own safety is not cruel.

Canines are social creatures who thrive in a pack environment, and humans are part of that pack. If you don't want to be part of that pack...don't own a dog.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,061,223 times
The longest I will leave our yorkie out back (fenced in) alone is maybe half an hour, while I'm home (like the other day we were trying to clean so she stayed outside while the floors were being mopped).

I would never leave her out there while we are not home. She is small so I would worry about other animals. I would worry about her getting caught in something, or eating something she shouldn't. I would worry about weather (like a sudden rain storm). I also know that she would eventually start barking, and obviously that would be annoying to the neighbors. Plus I think overall it would be stressful for her...on a nice day she likes to be outside but not alone for an extended period of time.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
I never said that some dogs don't enjoy their crates. Also you can train your dog not to jump up and sit on your furniture. My dogs won't even go into rooms I have told them they can't be in.

And I think we can agree there's a big difference between having a nice place to sleep and locking your dog up all day so they don't mess up your house.
I think its a different mindset between people that have dogs and those that don't, frankly. I would never have one...I don't care where the dog stays, there WILL be a mess to clean up, and I don't have the time for it, or the type of house where I have any sort of area where the dog could stay while I was gone all day. But that's not the issue. Crate training is a well respected method for most dog-training authorities. It is one of the reasons that dog ownership has grown so much in the last few years as it allows more people to care for and have a dog. You may not care for it, but most everyone I know has crate- trained their dog. The dogs are happy and well cared for. The people are happy. It works.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:
I think its a different mindset between people that have dogs and those that don't, frankly. I would never have one...I don't care where the dog stays, there WILL be a mess to clean up, and I don't have the time for it, or the type of house where I have any sort of area where the dog could stay while I was gone all day. But that's not the issue. Crate training is a well respected method for most dog-training authorities. It is one of the reasons that dog ownership has grown so much in the last few years as it allows more people to care for and have a dog. You may not care for it, but most everyone I know has crate- trained their dog. The dogs are happy and well cared for. The people are happy. It works.

At least you're honest. The shelters would be a lot less crowded if more people were. My dogs will go into their crates voluntarily to take a snooze, or if they just want to be apart from the "pack" for a while. If I am having work done in the house, I put them in their crates to keep them and the workers safe.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times
Quote:
No, I typed "train", and that is what I meant. Many people do not want their dogs making a mess all over the house (and yes, well-trained dogs can certainly make a mess) so crate training is very useful. It also mimics a dog's natural yearning to have a "den" - a safe place. I know you know all this...not sure why I am even typing.
My dogs have never been an issue. The cats OTOH regularly make messes. I need to put in a camera to see exactly what kind of mayhem they raise when I'm not around because I've come home to destuffed cat toys, knocked over plants, wadded up throw rugs, curtains with pulled threads three quarters of the way up, snapped mini-blind pulls ... I think it's mostly the two kittens but I wouldn't put it past the other ones, either.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times
Quote:
I will tell you one thing. Once they were allowed to have full run of the house, not one single dog I have ever had returned to the crate willingly for any reason. That is why all my crates are stuck in my garage. And keeping them in one location is as easy as shutting a door, if that is what you need.
My former dog would sleep in his crate in hotel rooms when we traveled and I had to leave him for a while. As long as his "stuff" (crate, blanky, leash,) were there, he was sure I'd come back.

My current dog likes to sleep in his create if I set it up and cover it with a towel or blanket. I think he feels safe from the cats from hell (see my previous post).

All my crits can go in and out via pet door into my fenced yard during nice weather in the summer while I'm at work. They have to come in at night, but that's no problem for the dog. The cats need to be bribed with canned cat food, though.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

36,581 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Crate training is a well respected method for most dog-training authorities. It is one of the reasons that dog ownership has grown so much in the last few years as it allows more people to care for and have a dog. You may not care for it, but most everyone I know has crate- trained their dog. The dogs are happy and well cared for. The people are happy. It works.
And at one time having dogs outside was accepted and respected and dogs were happy and well cared for. It comes down to what the dog is use to. If it was basically raised in a crate it will be happy in the crate. Its what it knows. If the dog has been raised outside it is happy outside.

My dogs also have their safe place or particular spot they go to, its habit, its their comfort zone.
Really, there is no right or wrong way. Just whatever works for each individual.

What I find cruel is those poor dogs that are dressed up like human babies and pushed around in strollers.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And at one time having dogs outside was accepted and respected and dogs were happy and well cared for. It comes down to what the dog is use to. If it was basically raised in a crate it will be happy in the crate. Its what it knows. If the dog has been raised outside it is happy outside.

My dogs also have their safe place or particular spot they go to, its habit, its their comfort zone.
Really, there is no right or wrong way. Just whatever works for each individual.

What I find cruel is those poor dogs that are dressed up like human babies and pushed around in strollers.
Agreed. I know plenty of folks that live out in the "country" that have outdoor dogs. Some have access to a garage, a barn or some have their own heated kennel. The dogs are perfectly happy and love their outside life. Most of them consider themselves guardians of the property and are well suited to the task. I just have to shake my head at those people that freak out when they learn that someone keeps their dog outside.

Absolutely an individual thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs