Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,807,175 times

Advertisements

WHY! Do they not need love? Are they machines?

I'm rebelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

I'm rebelling.
I'll bite.

They are working when in harness. Uninvited petting distracts them from their job...a job they need to learn to be 100% focused on since that focus could save the handler's life. Learning that it is OK (and even rewarding) to be distracted is completely counterproductive.

You would prolly find it distracting if you had an important job to do..one that required your 100% focus...and some clueless but well intentioned stranger was chattering away at you. Or shaking your hand, patting your shoulder, trying to hug you, etc. Or offering you a beer.

No worries. They get plenty of love from their handlers and their handler's families when they are not working.

Some guidelines:

• Do not pet, call to, feed, or otherwise distract the dog
  • If you are in a car, do not honk or call out to the dog
  • Speak to the person and not to the dog
  • Do not touch the dog without first asking for and receiving permission. Always respect the handler's wishes
  • Out of respect for the handler's privacy, do not ask personal questions about the handler's disability
  • Remember that guide dog teams have the right of way

Old 05-13-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
No worries. They get plenty of love from their handlers and their handler's families when they are not working.
I don't care what they get from others, I want to scratch their little bums and squish their faces until they snort.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,505 times
Quote:
I don't care what they get from others, I want to scratch their little bums and squish their faces until they snort.
You need Pug love.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:

I'm rebelling.

When a Service Dog is working they are working, they are not "pets" they are employees.
They are not machines, they do need love, they do get love but NOT from you and NOT while they are working.

Keep your hands off of a service dog or any dog that does not belong to you.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:

Scratch your own bum, squish your own face and snort away but do not touch the service dog.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:

I'm rebelling.
Because it's a distraction, and they are occupied keeping their handlers safe.

Find other dogs to pet. You're a safety hazard if you are messing with other peoples' service dogs.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 PM

All of you have coal in your heart...it's as black as coal! Except for Jumpingdogs, he'she gets it.

I mean honestly people...keep away, I'm a safety hazard, it's a distraction, find other dogs to pet, scratch my own bum, keep my hands off...do you realize how ridiculous you all sound! Do you feel nothing? In your hearts? Hello?

A little scratch on that wrinkly, fuzzy little chin...come on people, work hard play hard am I right?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
You sound like my neighbors. When I have Katie out all they want to do is pet her Even tho she makes sure its ok they the go running around telling everyone Fake SD! Leave My Dogs ALONE!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,382,216 times
Quote:
All of you have coal in your heart...it's as black as coal! Except for Jumpingdogs, he'she gets it.

I mean honestly people...keep away, I'm a safety hazard, it's a distraction, find other dogs to pet, scratch my own bum, keep my hands off...do you realize how ridiculous you all sound! Do you feel nothing? In your hearts? Hello?

A little scratch on that wrinkly, fuzzy little chin...come on people, work hard play hard am I right?
Next time that you come upon the scene of an accident or fire stop what you are doing and go run past the paramedics, firefighters and police to give a hug to someone they are trying to save and see what you get for your behavior.

If you need more dog love in your life go volunteer at a local shelter or rescue group, drive a leg or two of a transport, go to Petsmart or Petco or your local supply store etc. and interact with those dogs but

LEAVE THE SERVICE DOGS ALONE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs