Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I don't care what they get from others, I want to scratch their little bums and squish their faces until they snort.
The Genuine Little Princess isn't a service dog but if you prance on over and scratch her little bum and squish her little face, she is very likely to bite you hard enough to draw blood. She hates to be touched by strangers.

If strangers ask if they can touch her, I can force her by the power of my will to make her submit to it. You can see the smoldering resentment in her eyes as everyone wants to play with and stroke her long silky ear fringes. The general public is completely oblivious to her resentment as they coo over her beauty and exclaim over the gorgeous shiny feel of her coat.

So, OP, I suggest that you ask first before shoving you loving face next to a strange dog's face because otherwise, some time in the future your face squishing isn't going to go well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,100,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Genuine Little Princess isn't a service dog but if you prance on over and scratch her little bum and squish her little face, she is very likely to bite you hard enough to draw blood. She hates to be touched by strangers.

If strangers ask if they can touch her, I can force her by the power of my will to make her submit to it. You can see the smoldering resentment in her eyes as everyone wants to play with and stroke her long silky ear fringes. The general public is completely oblivious to her resentment as they coo over her beauty and exclaim over the gorgeous shiny feel of her coat.

So, OP, I suggest that you ask first before shoving you loving face next to a strange dog's face because otherwise, some time in the future your face squishing isn't going to go well for you.
Yup!
A random stranger squishing Sawyer's face and freaking him out when we first got him is pretty much the reason why he's so fearfull of strangers now.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
I see it as...
how would you like it if some random stranger came up to your desk at work while you wer BUSY with a work deadline, pushed infront of your computer monitor grabbed your face stuck theirs in yours and started muttering inchohearently to you....
then when you finally get the idiot out of your face they continue to stand there about an inch form your ear talking to youa bout tupid things and contantly grabbing at you while you try to focus on what your doing...and when you don't give them what they want they start poking you randomly...

my service dog is working...just so happens her "desk" is wherever I am that day...and you are the babbling idiot disrupting her...

my girl wouldn't bit you if you got in her face...but she would do everything in her power to politely walk away until given the permission to say hello....
and shes not getting that release if YOU are being a babbling idiot intent on imply being a distraction because you fel its your right to use other peoples pets are your own personal petting zoo...

one day that "i wanna pet it so *********" is going to get you on the wrong end of some sharp teeth...and youll be LUCKY if those teeth belong to the dog...

Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Most small children I've come across are taught well enough to not come up to a strange dog, service dog or not, and maul its face. Approaching a dog you don't know and who doesn't know you and grabbing it is a good way to get bitten. If kids can learn this basic safety protocol so easily, it's odd that an adult would have a hard time grasping it.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 PM

486 posts, read 832,882 times
I though this was common sense. You don't bother service dog, life guards, bus drivers or people working/operating something in general.

"Why can't my son sit on the pilot's lap while he lands the airplane?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 AM

621 posts, read 1,423,070 times
not to be nasty but- Because I want to- is not a good reason to do anything.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
Where I work we are pet friendly, and customers bring in their dogs all the time. We keep treats at the register and the little rascals remember that and get all excited when the owner gets to the checkout. We always make a fuss over the dogs and they love the attention.

We also get some service dogs and service dogs in training, and we always ask the owner if their little buddy can have a treat and the answer is generally "No thank you." So we don't touch the dogs or make any fuss over them out of respect.

A couple of weeks ago I had a customer in a wheelchair with a service dog and I started asking questions about his fur buddy and the guy was very happy to talk about how he found him and how much he loves the dog and what the dog has meant to his freedom. The dog just laid patiently there, waiting for them to go.

But I am like most of you, I love to pet dogs and have to restrain myself with service animals.

Don

Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,980 times
My SD was my eyes and an extension of my body. He was very good at ignoring people unless I told him it was okay to interact with them.

We would always stop and Freedom would give silly, puppy-love to other disabled people (especially children). He enjoyed attention when we were just sitting, waiting while my DH was off doing something, but to deliberately interfere could place me in danger.

Sometimes, a person would offer him a dog treat and we would accept the offer - I would have the person place the treat on the counter and Free would "up" and stand and gently take the treat.

My boy was highly trained and worth more than many new cars and he could have been utterly ruined by a thoughtless, selfish person.

by all means admire a SD but keep your paws off of them unless you are given permission to do so.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
The fact that the OP has not made any more comments then they have and the nature of the comments they did make makes me think they are a troll just wanting to get people worked up about something. I really do not know why people do that but there are some that love to just stir the pot then watch.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When a Service Dog is working they are working, they are not "pets" they are employees.
They are not machines, they do need love, they do get love but NOT from you and NOT while they are working.

Keep your hands off of a service dog or any dog that does not belong to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
All of you have coal in your heart...it's as black as coal! Except for Jumpingdogs, he'she gets it.

I mean honestly people...keep away, I'm a safety hazard, it's a distraction, find other dogs to pet, scratch my own bum, keep my hands off...do you realize how ridiculous you all sound! Do you feel nothing? In your hearts? Hello?

A little scratch on that wrinkly, fuzzy little chin...come on people, work hard play hard am I right?
You obviously are either bat-**** crazy or totally joking.

OMG, what if your distraction caused to the service dog to lose focus and he leads his blind master right in front of a speeding car, or the dog missed the cue that his master was going to have a seizure or something else equally dangerous?

I hope some stranger goes up you when your are working (perhaps while giving a huge presentation to the big boss and top clients) and scratches your fuzzy little chin or squeezes your face until you snort or grabs your bum.

Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs