Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Everyone has the right to expect a poop free lawn, but if my dog pees on your lawn I couldn't care less. We don't have sidewalks so there is no little side strip on our way to the dog park and I am not walking down the middle of the road just to avoid some pee on some grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Everyone has the right to expect a poop free lawn, but if my dog pees on your lawn I couldn't care less. We don't have sidewalks so there is no little side strip on our way to the dog park and I am not walking down the middle of the road just to avoid some pee on some grass.
Oh well. That's your problem, not the yard owner's. If it means you can't walk your dog at all, then so be it. Find a local dog park and go there.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh well. That's your problem, not the yard owner's. If it means you can't walk your dog at all, then so be it. Find a local dog park and go there.
Or the yard owner can get over it. I get being upset if someone doesn't pick up poop or if the dog pees in the middle of the yard, but if the dog pees on the corner of the yard on walk, it really isn't that serious.

My dog will pee on bushes, I pull him away from peeing/pooping in my neighbors yards until we get to the common area of the neighborhood but sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. As long as it is not in the middle of the yard and as long as he's no pooping (and if he is, I pick it up), I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
What makes you think people want yellow spots all over their lawn? You are the type of person that would make me get one of the motion censored sprinklers, put up a camera, wait for the video of you and your dog getting splashed, and then put it on youtube. Dog/cat urine stinks especially on a hot day.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Or the yard owner can get over it. I get being upset if someone doesn't pick up poop or if the dog pees in the middle of the yard, but if the dog pees on the corner of the yard on walk, it really isn't that serious.

My dog will pee on bushes, I pull him away from peeing/pooping in my neighbors yards until we get to the common area of the neighborhood but sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. As long as it is not in the middle of the yard and as long as he's no pooping (and if he is, I pick it up), I don't see what the big deal is.
That's just it--you don't see it, or you don't care. If anyone who is a responsible dog owner, like my best friend, has ever wondered why on occasion you're on the receiving end of a lot of flack when you've done nothing wrong, attitudes like this are the reason why, presumed guilt by association. People have these sorts of experiences and they start making presumptions the minute they see ANY dog and its owner.

I will tell you why it's a big deal--BECAUSE IT'S MY YARD. It's not your dog's yard, your dog did not pay for this land in terms of mortgage, rent, taxes, maintenance/upkeep etc. Your dog hasn't spent hours tending to the upkeep sweating in the heat. The land owner has, and that's me. It is MY YARD. My rules apply, not someone else's.

I don't care if it's one single drop of urine over a 50 year period. If they don't want it there, that is their right. Your opinion on the suitability of such things in their yard will start to matter when and only when you are the one paying for the yard at which point it would now be your yard instead anyway.

Otherwise, whatever comes your way or your dog's way, you asked for it. Some people resort to flat-out killing, and while I'd never do it nor condone it, I can't say I'd have much sympathy for the dog owner if such occurred either. When someone tells you they don't want your dog present, you better darn well listen and take them seriously, because a great deal many of them area very serious about their edict.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
I've always respected my neighbours' properties (and all others) when it comes to my dog. If I'm out on a walk and my dog begins pulling toward a lawn on private property, I'll tug on the leash and redirect him to some common area instead. The only time I ever had a dog urinate on a neighbour's property was once, several years ago, when my older dog - who was in her final stages of cancer - simply couldn't hold it. We were walking next to a curb and she suddenly diverted to the neighbour's lawn and began to urinate, almost before she'd even squatted; in the past she would never set foot on someone's property. But that's the only time it ever happened.

I usually make sure my dog has gone to the bathroom in my yard before we head out...prior to my owning a house, I would walk my dog(s) to a designated public area where they knew what they were supposed to do. But no, never on someone's property.

That said, my own property tends to get very well watered with passersby walking their dogs. I don't have a front lawn, but I do have shrubs and flowers planted out front...so it can be a bit frustrating at times.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's just it--you don't see it, or you don't care. If anyone who is a responsible dog owner, like my best friend, has ever wondered why on occasion you're on the receiving end of a lot of flack when you've done nothing wrong, attitudes like this are the reason why, presumed guilt by association. People have these sorts of experiences and they start making presumptions the minute they see ANY dog and its owner.

I will tell you why it's a big deal--BECAUSE IT'S MY YARD. It's not your dog's yard, your dog did not pay for this land in terms of mortgage, rent, taxes, maintenance/upkeep etc. Your dog hasn't spent hours tending to the upkeep sweating in the heat. The land owner has, and that's me. It is MY YARD. My rules apply, not someone else's.

I don't care if it's one single drop of urine over a 50 year period. If they don't want it there, that is their right. Your opinion on the suitability of such things in their yard will start to matter when and only when you are the one paying for the yard at which point it would now be your yard instead anyway.

Otherwise, whatever comes your way or your dog's way, you asked for it. Some people resort to flat-out killing, and while I'd never do it nor condone it, I can't say I'd have much sympathy for the dog owner if such occurred either. When someone tells you they don't want your dog present, you better darn well listen and take them seriously, because a great deal many of them area very serious about their edict.
WOW! I did state that I make sure I pick up poop if he goes in someone's yard. I also noted that I pull him away from going in someone's yard. I never PURPOSELY take my dog to ANYONE's yard. I ALWAYS clean up after him. What I said was sometimes, he may go on the corner of someone's yard, near their mail box or something and I may not see it quickly enough to pull away. I don't think that that is that big of a deal. Saying someone should kill my dog because of it is ridiculous. Anyone that get's that angry over pee needs therapy.

I'm done with this thread. I never condoned peeing in someone's yard, I just said sometimes it happens and it is not that serious. I also said I tried to make sure my dog didn't do it. But you took it to another level. WOW!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
I don't let my dog pee or poop in other people's yards. Wish my cat loving neighbors would do something about their little darlings taking craps in my flower beds. Not a very nice thing to dig up.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 AM

454 posts, read 495,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I'm done with this thread. I never condoned peeing in someone's yard, I just said sometimes it happens and it is not that serious. I also said I tried to make sure my dog didn't do it. But you took it to another level. WOW!
Ignore him, he's a troll. He also said he fantasizes about drop kicking yorkies. Hopefully he'll get bored soon and go play with his toys.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
I will admit that I used to think dog pee in a neighbor's yard was no big deal.

Now, I understand that it can impact how the grass grows and other things. Unfortunately, my English Bully has taken to peeing on my neighbors small patch of grass in the front yard. (We live in a townhouse.) I will work harder on keeping her from doing that, as I now understand how inconsiderate it is.

She's done it a lot! Oops!

Anyone who doesn't pick up dog poop is a total clod!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs