Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times

Advertisements

Well, one thing I know about dogs is every time you think you're ready to handle a situation, that situation doesn't come up. What that means is your training can be sort of spotty. So what I would do is set her up for this situation, so it happens when you've got complete control over it. I'd take her to a dog training class, explain to the instructor what you're trying to do, and then make a session of strangers coming over to her with you making the corrections. So instead of only getting corrected once every few days or so, she gets a whole half hour of continuous training. If you can't go to a training class, see if you can enlist friends of friends to help you out.

And I'd do the carrot and stick approach as well. The one time she doesn't jump on someone is the one time you really raise the roof praising her. Does she respond to treats? If she doesn't jump on someone, I'd have that person give her a treat. She'll learn real fast that not jumping will get her a better reward.

Some people think treats are a bribe, but I'm a big fan of "fit the training to the dog" and doing whatever will work. And you may have to take her to the dog park on a long line for a while, to keep control of her until you are sure you have the problem of jumping taken care of. You're breaking a habit, and that's going to take lots longer than just teaching her something new, so don't get discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,555,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, one thing I know about dogs is every time you think you're ready to handle a situation, that situation doesn't come up. What that means is your training can be sort of spotty. So what I would do is set her up for this situation, so it happens when you've got complete control over it. I'd take her to a dog training class, explain to the instructor what you're trying to do, and then make a session of strangers coming over to her with you making the corrections. So instead of only getting corrected once every few days or so, she gets a whole half hour of continuous training. If you can't go to a training class, see if you can enlist friends of friends to help you out.

And I'd do the carrot and stick approach as well. The one time she doesn't jump on someone is the one time you really raise the roof praising her. Does she respond to treats? If she doesn't jump on someone, I'd have that person give her a treat. She'll learn real fast that not jumping will get her a better reward.

Some people think treats are a bribe, but I'm a big fan of "fit the training to the dog" and doing whatever will work. And you may have to take her to the dog park on a long line for a while, to keep control of her until you are sure you have the problem of jumping taken care of. You're breaking a habit, and that's going to take lots longer than just teaching her something new, so don't get discouraged.
This is excellent advice. Thank you!

Yes, I think I'm going to need to set up training with people who are there specifically to train her. The situations I am normally in, are such that the "victims" don't know what's coming, and they are either too far away to explain what's going on, or we're having a friendly conversation and it's too awkward for me to stop the conversation to deal with Jackie.

I have no problem with treats at all! Jackie is completely food driven. In fact, I have trained her to come to a whistle, and it just took a couple sessions where I gave her treats when she came when I used the whistle. After that, she comes happily and is content to just get the verbal praise. But, she is initially much more focused when there are treats. Although, honestly, she'd do anything just for the attention. She's really an amazing dog and friend.

But, yes, as I had thought, I'm going to need help teaching her this one, since she doesn't jump at my face - just at strangers' faces.

In the meantime, I think it's a great idea to take treats with us when we go where we may run into people, and maybe I can figure out how to reward her for not jumping on them.

Thank you.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Teach her Sit/Stay Work on her doing this for 5 mins. Start with whatever she do scale back a few sec so you release her & Praise her for time she done. After a few days add say 30 seconds more. repeat. ONCE she has a really good Sit/Stay at home work on her doing this at different places different distractions. Dog Cant jump IF she on Sit Stay! So when you out with her or some one knocks on your door Put her in a Sit-Stay! There is no Un -training her its Training her to Sit Stay when others are around!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is excellent advice. Thank you!

Yes, I think I'm going to need to set up training with people who are there specifically to train her. The situations I am normally in, are such that the "victims" don't know what's coming, and they are either too far away to explain what's going on, or we're having a friendly conversation and it's too awkward for me to stop the conversation to deal with Jackie.

I have no problem with treats at all! Jackie is completely food driven. In fact, I have trained her to come to a whistle, and it just took a couple sessions where I gave her treats when she came when I used the whistle. After that, she comes happily and is content to just get the verbal praise. But, she is initially much more focused when there are treats. Although, honestly, she'd do anything just for the attention. She's really an amazing dog and friend.

But, yes, as I had thought, I'm going to need help teaching her this one, since she doesn't jump at my face - just at strangers' faces.

In the meantime, I think it's a great idea to take treats with us when we go where we may run into people, and maybe I can figure out how to reward her for not jumping on them.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Teach her Sit/Stay Work on her doing this for 5 mins. Start with whatever she do scale back a few sec so you release her & Praise her for time she done. After a few days add say 30 seconds more. repeat. ONCE she has a really good Sit/Stay at home work on her doing this at different places different distractions. Dog Cant jump IF she on Sit Stay! So when you out with her or some one knocks on your door Put her in a Sit-Stay! There is no Un -training her its Training her to Sit Stay when others are around!

That's a very good idea, Katie!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 PM

19,834 posts, read 22,734,712 times
My male GSP wants a hug from me everyday. He started when he was a pup- I guess it's the way he his. None of my other dogs ever wanted to do this.. So I trained him that in order to get a hug, he has to hear the command-"Want a hug??!!" If he jumped and tried to paws up on me any other time I'd turn and ignore him and say "NO"! Then I'd turn back and say "Want a Hug??!!" and get him to paws up on me.

If he tried to paws up when I opened the door and entered or was hunting in the field with my shotgun in my hand- he got a knee to the boiler maker and a stern "NO!!!"

In about 3-4 months and he got the drill. (I will say he is a VERY big GSP- 80lbs of muscle- so paws up can knock some other folks down).

Jack Russell's are very intelligent and take training extremely well. Learn what drives him then teach him when it is okay (if you want that). Not every time is okay, but when you say it is- it is.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Excellent advice! Thank you Katie. She does a good sit, and she knows "wait." I haven't taught her "stay." I wanted those commands to be separate, and just didn't get around to "stay." She does know that "wait" means to basically sit still until I say "okay." But, it's different than a stay.

And I take her out of the apt almost every day, so I can work with her outside with distractions. I haven't done that yet. I have her trained to wait for the command to jump in or out of the car. But, when I take her off-leash, it's kind of a free-for-all. She'll come really well, though. So, I will start making her come to me and just sit on command until I release her.

Anyway, this is great advice. I was thinking more in terms of some new command regarding not jumping up and kissing people, but all I have to do is tell her to sit and hold the sit. So simple! Especially since she already knows sit and wait. I think this approach will be a great way to start. Once I get her to behave when she's on leash or next to me, then she may get the idea not to do it when she's off leash and away from me at the beach and she runs up to people there. One thing at a time. Thank you!

Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My male GSP wants a hug from me everyday. He started when he was a pup- I guess it's the way he his. None of my other dogs ever wanted to do this.. So I trained him that in order to get a hug, he has to hear the command-"Want a hug??!!" If he jumped and tried to paws up on me any other time I'd turn and ignore him and say "NO"! Then I'd turn back and say "Want a Hug??!!" and get him to paws up on me.

If he tried to paws up when I opened the door and entered or was hunting in the field with my shotgun in my hand- he got a knee to the boiler maker and a stern "NO!!!"

In about 3-4 months and he got the drill. (I will say he is a VERY big GSP- 80lbs of muscle- so paws up can knock some other folks down).

Jack Russell's are very intelligent and take training extremely well. Learn what drives him then teach him when it is okay (if you want that). Not every time is okay, but when you say it is- it is.
I love this. Thank you! I've just "sort of" worked with her on not jumping on me. She doesn't dive at my face to kiss me anymore, and she's getting the idea not to jump on me, but I haven't been consistent. And sometimes I will "invite" her to put her paws up on me and I give her some love :-)

So, working on not letting her jump on me - - ever - without being invited, is also a great next step that will also help with getting her to not jump on other people.

She is really smart and loves to learn and loves to please me. She's especially food motivated, but once she's "got" what I want her to do, she doesn't require treats constantly after she knows what to do.

She really is a great dog. Any problems are due to my lack of training skills.

Thanks for simplifying the task for me. I was feeling overwhelmed, but I see now that we've actually already worked on these behaviors, so it will be pretty easy to adapt them to the jumping behavior, and to just be more consistent and clear about no jumping without permission.

Thank you so much! I am actually feeling excited to start tomorrow now that it looks simple. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs