Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which breed would be a better companion to a cocker spaniel?
Medium Goldendoodle 3 17.65%
Miniature poodle 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times

Advertisements

Who would make a better companion to a cocker spaniel, a medium Goldendoodle or miniature poodle? And why would they make better companions in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times
A Goldendoodle, or anything with Doodle in it's name is NOT A BREED! These are mutts, mixed breeds, pound puppies, rescues, etc.

It means a Golden, or Golden mix bred with another breed or mix and someone decided to slap a designer name on it and rip people off charging 800.00 for a mutt.

A sucker is born every minute and those backyard puppy producers know it. Next time, send the cash to me instead of tossing it out the window, and I promise to do something worthwhile and noble with it.

Purebred Poodles are very nice dogs, so there's my vote. You cannot judge the expected size, shape, health or temperament of any doodle mix according to any expected standard, because they are mutts.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
First of all, as a registered breeder of Standard poodles I'm probably a little biased. However, the miniature poodle from an excellent breeder wins hands down. My wife is a groomer and just the number of coat, skin and ear problem she sees in the Cockers would eliminate it from my consideration. In my considerable experience the doodle is inferior to the pure bred poodle in many ways. You can never be sure what kind of coat the dog is going to have and the popular misconception that the doodle is nonsheding and hypo-allergenic is incorrect. You can be pretty sure just what the temperament of the poodle is going to be if obtained from a good breeder, not so much with the doodle. I find the smaller doodles are usually a little goofy and unpredictable in their behaviours. I really like the calmness, intelligence and steadiness of the poodle.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
I'm wondering which would be a better companion to the cocker spaniel. We have a miniature poodle who is 13 and you're right, the calmness, intelligence and steadiness is what I like about him. We had a cocker spaniel who passed and their energy didn't match up. The poodle was done playing after 15 minutes and she would run circles around him, or launch off the couch onto him to initiate play and he would eventually run under the bed because it was too much.

We are planning to get another cocker spaniel first, and then either another mini poodle or goldendoodle for a companion for the cocker. Wondering if a more energetic dog (like a goldendoodle) would be more compatible with the cocker, or if it would be too much for both of them and the energy would turn to aggression

Love -- goldendoodles in this area range between 1350 to 2500. A little pricey indeed.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm wondering which would be a better companion to the cocker spaniel. We have a miniature poodle who is 13 and you're right, the calmness, intelligence and steadiness is what I like about him. We had a cocker spaniel who passed and their energy didn't match up. The poodle was done playing after 15 minutes and she would run circles around him, or launch off the couch onto him to initiate play and he would eventually run under the bed because it was too much.

We are planning to get another cocker spaniel first, and then either another mini poodle or goldendoodle for a companion for the cocker. Wondering if a more energetic dog (like a goldendoodle) would be more compatible with the cocker, or if it would be too much for both of them and the energy would turn to aggression

Love -- goldendoodles in this area range between 1350 to 2500. A little pricey indeed.
I would suggest that a well bred mini schnauzer would be perfect for a cocker companion. I like the ones that are around 22 pounds or so, a little on the large side. You can probably tell but I like the nonshedding breeds. A miniature Australian Shepherd could also be a good choice.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Unless you Cocker can Read I don't believe the Breed matters to him. You want a Mutt go to your local pound or rescue & adopt! You could most likely bring home ALL the dogs they have for Less than a Mutt Doodle would cost!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I won't give money to anyone deliberately breeding mongrels to make money off of them. Anything with "doodle" or "cocka-anything" in it's name or any cute manufactured name is a no-no as far as I am concerned.

If you want to give your money to a dog breeder, go to a devoted fancier who uses intense screening to preserve a pure breed that they really love. Those breeders will be showing in conformation or some sort of performance, and often in both. They will talk your ears off about the dogs in the pedigree and about health screening. They will make you jump through hoops to qualify, because a good safe home is what they want for their puppies. You can't have one just because you are capable of writing a big check.

Miniature poodles are great dogs If you get one from a reputable hobby breeder. Unfortunately, small poodles have been badly bred by the puppy mills,with zero concern for health or temperament, so you must be very careful where you buy a poodle.

If you don't care what breed and just want a nice mid size dog, go down to a pound or go to a rescue and save a life. If breed matters to you, go to a reputable breeder and buy a puppy from a carefully planned litter with a very carefully put together pedigree and many generations of certified health screening.

Poodle Club of America most likely has a purebred poodle rescue, and that is also a good place to look. Their dogs will have been evaluated for health and temperament. They are probably going to be puppy mill dogs, but at least you aren't supporting the puppy mills when you go to rescue for a dog.

Note: I just checked Poodle Club of America and they have a link to their poodle rescue right there on the front page of their website.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
The best dogs I have ever had are working dog breeds and even a mixed sheep dog can be the idea companion dog. I currently have a mixed that is 16 years old and healthy plus he is the most loyal and loveable dog. He has the patients of Jobe.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
I'm not voting in any poll that classifies a 'doodle' cross as an actual 'breed' of dog. I would go for a miniature poodle, it might be closer in size to the Cocker. To be on the safe side, get a dog that is the opposite gender to your Cocker.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Spaniels can be butt heads, so I go with the goldendoodle. Although I despise that cross due to twisted stomach in 3 that I know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs