Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times

Advertisements

I am now about to lose my second dog and both could be related to vaccinations. I had a mini schnauzer who was fourteen years old. I had moved to a new area and took him to a new vet for his annual vaccinations. Shortly afterwards he became ill and I went back to the same vet. The vet did blood work and said my dog was in kidney failure. I told the vet that prior to the vaccinations my dog was healthy. The vet told me it was probably the vaccinations that caused the kidney failure. I searched the web and found many references to dogs having kidney failure after getting vaccinations especially senior dogs. I found one article that recommended that dogs ten years or older be given a blood test first before any vaccinations. Unfortunately it was too late for my dog. Over the next three months I did all that I could but nothing would save him and I had to have him put to sleep.
Later I got a second mini schnauzer from a good blood line and good health history. This dog did very well for the first five years. Then, after his annual shots and rabbies shot, he developed a lump at the site of the rabbies injection. At first I thought it was a schnauer bump but it grew very rapidly and my vet at that time did a biopsy and dx'ed a mast cell tumor. My dog had two surgeries soon after one anther but the tumor continued to grow. On the third surgery my vet took a much wider area and that seem to hold the tumor growth. That lasted about a year and then another tumor, same area, grew really fast. My dog was put on steroids and a/b's and responded well and the tumor shrunk for a few months. Then the tumor came back with almost daily growth and my dog had a fourth surgery. This lasted two months and now the tumor is growing once again at an alarming rate. My vet says nothing more can be done and he expects the dog will expire within the month or need to be euthanize. I am heartbroken over this but there is nothing for me to do but make him comfortable and provide a humane end when the time comes.

I suggest if you have a senior dog you get a blood test prior to vaccination. IMO, at ten years of age if the dog has had a good history I would avoid vaccination if the dog has questionable blood test results.

Secondly, I searched the web and found some articles about mast cell tumors following a rabbies injection. I can only say I suspect there may be a link between the two. However, as we start to see links between human vaccinations and maladies there may be an even greater link of canine vaccinations and our dogs.

My hope is that pet owners will look into these matters and be able to make an informed decision for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
I am so very sorry this has happened to you

I don't even want to get started on bad vaccinations. I have horses and this subject is brought up every Spring and Fall on the horse forums.

One popular theory with the technical folks on the horse forums, is the binding agents used in vaccines can be bad.

When my horses and dogs were young, they got their vaccines, faithfully. "Got" being the operative.

I have had two insulin resistant horses, one is still with me. The one I Laid to rest had been given his vaccines faithfully, until he got sick with metabolic issues in 2007. He passed, at age 27, from a major colic due to strangulating lipomas and had not been vaccinated since 2007.

The IR horse that is still with me, is on prescription meds to control his insulin; he is 20. Same vaccine record with him, including no vaccinations since 2007.

My vet is fine with this because we live in such a remote area and my horses are what is termed a "closed herd". None of them have been off the property since 2007.

My dogs don't get vaccinated anymore, either. They are also up in years and had annual vaccines when they were young.

Somehow "Hugs" to you, doesn't seem like enough for what you are going thru. Please know others share in your hurt.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,267 times
I don't vaccinate yearly. Boosters every 3 years after initial shots. Rabies yearly because it's required by law. I don't vaccinate my cat at all, not since he was 7. He is indoors only, at 16 years, recently diagnosed with renal failure (old age related), but still strong and active. My dogs are indoors only as well and goes outside only for walks or occasional park. Just doesn't make sense to vaccinate every year for the same thing (people don't get yearly shots and we seem to be doing okay).

Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
At 14 he most likely had Kidney problems before the vac ...wouldn't blame the shots.

Even Good lines can have problems. Contact the breeder see if any other dogs have it. Lumps are common in the breed.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
At 14 he most likely had Kidney problems before the vac ...wouldn't blame the shots.

Even Good lines can have problems. Contact the breeder see if any other dogs have it. Lumps are common in the breed.
Did you read the entire post, where the OP speaks to the Second dog?

Quote:
[b][/ater I got a second mini schnauzer from a good blood line and good health history. This dog did very well for the first five years. Then, after his annual shots and rabbies shot, he developed a lump at the site of the rabbies injection. At first I thought it was a schnauer bump but it grew very rapidly and my vet at that time did a biopsy and dx'ed a mast cell tumorB]

Old 07-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Yes I read it Dogs like people get tumors. I suggested she contact the breeder. See if any other pups in the litter have problems. Breeders need feed back like this to cull Carriers of problems out of their lines! OP Needs to stop blaming shots on these problems.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Anymore, it is necessary to do your own research. We only get the rabies shots now for our senior dogs. One dog's face and ears swelled up two years in a row and the vet thought it was no big deal but then he didn't suffer like the dog. Giving her antihistamines did absolutely nothing to help her. Thus my research and the end to the other shots.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
One of the points I was trying to make is that if you have a senior dog please get the blood work done before giving that dog vaccinations. Yes my dog most likely was in the early stages of kidney failure prior to the vaccinations. However the vaccinations are what pushed him over the edge. If I had not went ahead with the vaccinations that dog may have lived years longer.

Schnauzers do get what are called "schnauzer bumps." My first dog had them and they were all benign and easily removed.
My second schnauzer never had "schnauzer bumps." The mast cell tumor appeared shortly after getting a rabbies shot and at the same location as the injection.

"My hope is that pet owners will look into these matters and be able to make an informed decision for themselves."
I think Katie1 should try reading the entire post in the future before casting judgments.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-health...frequency.aspx

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes I read it Dogs like people get tumors. I suggested she contact the breeder. See if any other pups in the litter have problems. Breeders need feed back like this to cull Carriers of problems out of their lines! OP Needs to stop blaming shots on these problems.
The OP didn't blame the shots. Her vet did. There are well documented health issues related to vaccinations in dogs and we are in that window period of knowledge in which new findings are being discovered that haven't yet dictated changes in standard practice. But they will.

And the OP doesn't need to do anything. She needs our compassion.

Donsabi...you did, and are doing, the best for your dogs that you could and trusted your vet. I am so sorry you are in this sad situation but thank you so much for sharing your experience so that others might learn from it.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Anymore, it is necessary to do your own research. We only get the rabies shots now for our senior dogs. One dog's face and ears swelled up two years in a row and the vet thought it was no big deal but then he didn't suffer like the dog. Giving her antihistamines did absolutely nothing to help her. Thus my research and the end to the other shots.

My vet wont give Rabies until the dogs a certain age or weight. Lady-Bug was over a yr before she got her 1st rabies. Law said had to be 3 months. So for the apt complex & animal control he signed a form what age & weight he would give it. AND Once Animals reach a certain age he stops giving the shots. He stopped giving my cat her rabies at 10 & my horse at 25. Last yr was Katies Last rabies! He told me decades ago research shows animals given reg shots when they reach a certain age retain the immunity for life at that point. Now mind you back then Rabies in WV was given By Law every 2 yrs... not sure about dogs getting them every 3 yrs. But check with your vet next time you see him/her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs