Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your dog have their CGC certification or not, and why?
Yes, my dog has their CGC certification 13 35.14%
No, but I am going to get my dog their CGC certification 8 21.62%
No, and I'm not planning on getting my dog their CGC certification 11 29.73%
I will explain in my post 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,890 times

Advertisements

We are interested in getting all three of our dogs CGC certified, so I was just reading up on everything the test involves. I was wondering how many people on here have their dogs CGC certified, how many are planning on getting their dogs CGC certified, how many are not planning on getting their dogs CGC certified, etc, and why? We are not planning on doing any service or therapy work with our dogs, or anything like that, but in my opinion, it's just a good thing to do as a responsible dog owner. So, is your dog CGC certified or not, why, and what are you thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 09:32 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
Mine would never pass. My male can tell me if a leaf falls from a tree two counties away and my female goes after anything with wheels. Wheelchairs and walkers would get her going

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Mine would never pass. My male can tell me if a leaf falls from a tree two counties away and my female goes after anything with wheels. Wheelchairs and walkers would get her going
Haha! I'm worried about how Brooklyn will do! That's why I was reading up on everything, that way I know what all I need to work on with them. I'm just going to work with all three of them for a while and see how things go. I'm sure the girls, Destiny and Jayda, could pass everything. I would definitely have to work with them for a while first though. But like I said, I'm worried about Brooklyn. He really is a great dog, but some of the tests don't sound like things he would be very good at. Like the supervised separation test.. I don't think so! lol! He has the worst separation anxiety! It doesn't matter who is still with him, if someone he is attached to leaves the room, he freaks out! For example, if my husband is with him and I leave the room, he goes crazy! He starts to whine and cry, and that's when his daddy is still with him! So yeah, I don't know about Brooklyn, but I'm sure the girls would do good, and I'm going to work with all three of them for a while and just see how things go.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,853 times
I plan to do some next year. I need to sharpen their skills to be safe. I don't want them to fail, so just need to brush up.

The CGC can be subjective in some cases, so it depends on who's giving it. Its not 100% perfect. It also isn't meant for some breeds, what is acceptable breed behavior in some breeds or even correct temperament wouldn't likely pass a CGC test.

Somethings are for a reason, I know you know that, I'm just saying. If your dog has bad separation anxiety this is a fault. Its nerves, weakness, ect. So that is just one part of the reason they test that. A lot of people do CGC who breed so they kind of go with a breeding quality temperament. It is also whats used by a lot who have therapy dogs, so they want to make sure the dog is solid in all elements.
Maybe you can work on his SA? I saw on "Its Me Or The Dog" they helped one. It took a lot of repetition and patience but it worked.

A friend of ours mom took her Boxer and passed. Her dog has recently been attacked by another dog and therefore became dog aggressive. That concerned her but she still wanted to do the test. Like she was worried about her dog growled at the other dog. She thought he had failed but he passed.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
1st CGC is NOT a Theraphy dog test there are no wheelchairs etc. It is about the dog not pulling you while walking. There response to being walked in a crowed, loud noises, etc. It is about the owner care of the dog. The AKC does it for All Dogs including mixes. It can help you rent an apt by proving the dog has the basic manners & you care for him properly. Yes All my dogs have at least that & when my kennel broke up CGC helped me find homes for the older dogs cause at least people knew the had basic manners. Please check into it I dont think you would make a mistake by doing it.

Last edited by Katie1; 11-04-2007 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,553,138 times
What is a CGC certified?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
What is a CGC certified?
Canine Good Citizen

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
I never heard of this. Don't see why I would do it. I love my dog, even without credentials.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
So don't do it. But don't knock those that do. This is not about weather you love your dog, your training or caring for your dog, per say. But is is about teaching basic manners to your dog. Having a dog that comes when called & does not pull you down the street when you take him for a walk. With or without the paper all dogs should have basic manners. The paper does come in handi when you rent. When I started renting after owning my own place for 20+ years. My sheltie was a bit overside for the landlords rules. The CGC got her to bend the rules. It was not until we moved in she found out Jetta was also CD & U-CD titled. 3 months later when I was paying the rent she saw Jetta assiting me discovering she was a home trained Service Dog the land lord returned my Pet Deposit. Land lords appreciate a well mannered dog!

Since you have never heard of this then before you can make an infored decission to do or not to do then you should check into it more. AKC.ORG

Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So don't do it. But don't knock those that do. This is not about weather you love your dog, your training or caring for your dog, per say. But is is about teaching basic manners to your dog. Having a dog that comes when called & does not pull you down the street when you take him for a walk. With or without the paper all dogs should have basic manners. The paper does come in handi when you rent. When I started renting after owning my own place for 20+ years. My sheltie was a bit overside for the landlords rules. The CGC got her to bend the rules. It was not until we moved in she found out Jetta was also CD & U-CD titled. 3 months later when I was paying the rent she saw Jetta assiting me discovering she was a home trained Service Dog the land lord returned my Pet Deposit. Land lords appreciate a well mannered dog!
Not knocking any of the obedience titles, however landlords while they appreciate well mannered dogs, they also appreciate well mannered pet owners. Far too many who could careless (not implying anything, simply stating truths) ruined renting with pets for those of us that are responsible pet owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs