Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your dog have their CGC certification or not, and why?
Yes, my dog has their CGC certification 13 35.14%
No, but I am going to get my dog their CGC certification 8 21.62%
No, and I'm not planning on getting my dog their CGC certification 11 29.73%
I will explain in my post 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

Gregman there is nothing in the CGC test that has a dog on a sit stay for 3 min. Being held by a strainger while OWNER is out of sight for 3 min. Dog is being tested for seperation problems. Dog can do any thing she wants EXCEPT cry & carry on for the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,499,214 times
I have been planning on making Chelsea a therapy dog for a long time now, making here a CGC would be an easy next step for her and I. She is extremely patient and tolerant of different situations. I work for a lady who has alzheimer disease and emphysema, I am her gardener and was that and caregiver, driver and jack of all trades for six years, she did not have these conditions when I started working for her and in the time I have worked for her; she broke her ankle and was in a wheel chair for three months, developed emphysema and had to be on oxygen, developed dementia/alzheimer and the whole time, Chelsea was very well behaved. She was better around the wheel chair and subsequent walker then Annes own two dogs. I can ask Chelsea to stay in one location and she does till I say OK. On walks she walks by my side or in front of me and when I say to move over to the side for bikes or cars, she moves over and sits. I have her trained to stop, sit and wait and stop signs and not to cross till there is no traffic in sight ( we don't have a lot of traffic here ). I take her to a local park that accommodates dogs and she gets along great with all dogs, if anything she can be a bit aloof. She is amazing with senior citizens whether they be human or dog, I have a friend with a tibetan spaniel, Teddy is 15 and absolutely terrified of practically all dogs. I took Chelsea to work one day and Teddy came out, I told her to be good and not bother him and she did, now when ever we go to Joans house, Teddy comes out and greets Chelsea with a sniff/smell and wags his tail, she is the only dog that he is not afraid of. Chelsea is a cross of a McNab ( herd dog ) and a Jack Russell terrier, she is nearly all white with two brown ears and a brown circle over her left eye and freckles on her nose like a jack, but she is fluffy and soft and over 50 pounds. She is the size of a herd dog yet looks like a Jack and has the intelligence of both combined and the wacky personality of the Jack. She can convey to me what ever she wants or needs and at times it is like she is talking, she knows the difference between the door bell and the gate bell if someone even gets a chance to get on the property before she knows it ( she has a window seat that she sits in and can see the entire front of our property ). Someone is always calling her a sweet heart and the truth is that she is.

Every dog I have had that was strictly my dog and responsibility was tightly trained from the very beginning. My Morgan, an Am Staff, was very tightly trained from when I got him at 8 months old. I used a combination of verbal and hand signals with him and could control him in the noisy crowds of downtown Berkeley and Oakland without any problems. I remember once taking him with me to the grocery store and when I left from a different door, I forgot him, I walked home and started dinner, about two hours had gone by and I did not hear him snoring and he was not on the back porch and that was when I remember where he was. I told my partner that I would be right back, that I had left Morgan leashed up to the bike rack at the Lucky store. He was right where I had left him. My only problem with him was his hatred of male dogs that he did not grow out of till around the age of 10. He was my first heart dog and Chelsea is my second.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:02 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I would skip the CGC & do Theraphy Dog international test.....

Old 11-15-2007, 10:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,560,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have been planning on making Chelsea a therapy dog for a long time now, making here a CGC would be an easy next step for her and I. She is extremely patient and tolerant of different situations. I work for a lady who has alzheimer disease and emphysema, I am her gardener and was that and caregiver, driver and jack of all trades for six years, she did not have these conditions when I started working for her and in the time I have worked for her; she broke her ankle and was in a wheel chair for three months, developed emphysema and had to be on oxygen, developed dementia/alzheimer and the whole time, Chelsea was very well behaved. She was better around the wheel chair and subsequent walker then Annes own two dogs. I can ask Chelsea to stay in one location and she does till I say OK. On walks she walks by my side or in front of me and when I say to move over to the side for bikes or cars, she moves over and sits. I have her trained to stop, sit and wait and stop signs and not to cross till there is no traffic in sight ( we don't have a lot of traffic here ). I take her to a local park that accommodates dogs and she gets along great with all dogs, if anything she can be a bit aloof. She is amazing with senior citizens whether they be human or dog, I have a friend with a tibetan spaniel, Teddy is 15 and absolutely terrified of practically all dogs. I took Chelsea to work one day and Teddy came out, I told her to be good and not bother him and she did, now when ever we go to Joans house, Teddy comes out and greets Chelsea with a sniff/smell and wags his tail, she is the only dog that he is not afraid of. Chelsea is a cross of a McNab ( herd dog ) and a Jack Russell terrier, she is nearly all white with two brown ears and a brown circle over her left eye and freckles on her nose like a jack, but she is fluffy and soft and over 50 pounds. She is the size of a herd dog yet looks like a Jack and has the intelligence of both combined and the wacky personality of the Jack. She can convey to me what ever she wants or needs and at times it is like she is talking, she knows the difference between the door bell and the gate bell if someone even gets a chance to get on the property before she knows it ( she has a window seat that she sits in and can see the entire front of our property ). Someone is always calling her a sweet heart and the truth is that she is.

Every dog I have had that was strictly my dog and responsibility was tightly trained from the very beginning. My Morgan, an Am Staff, was very tightly trained from when I got him at 8 months old. I used a combination of verbal and hand signals with him and could control him in the noisy crowds of downtown Berkeley and Oakland without any problems. I remember once taking him with me to the grocery store and when I left from a different door, I forgot him, I walked home and started dinner, about two hours had gone by and I did not hear him snoring and he was not on the back porch and that was when I remember where he was. I told my partner that I would be right back, that I had left Morgan leashed up to the bike rack at the Lucky store. He was right where I had left him. My only problem with him was his hatred of male dogs that he did not grow out of till around the age of 10. He was my first heart dog and Chelsea is my second.

That is a wonderful relationship you have with your dog. I love to hear about good owners and well behaved pups. It's so vital and people so many times don't realize the important to take the time. I wanted to know what type of dog Chelsea was? How is you learn to train your dogs?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,499,214 times
The only worthwhile thing I learned from my abusive stepfather was the training of dogs. He told me to always take the upper hand, never show fear and to assert yourself as the top dog. I only added kindness and understanding. I have been fortunate to get most of my dogs as pups and I start training as soon as they are weaned if not sooner, I take the position of the mother dog, if the pup bites me, I bite it back, if it gets unruly I will put it down in a submissive position till it calms down. It is never too soon to train a pup and it is easy to make it fun for both the owner and the dog/pup.

Chelsea is a McNab and Jack Russell Terrier mix, the McNab is a herd dog bred out of the McNab ranch in Ukiah California since the 1800's. It is especially adapted for the challenges of our states geology and climate and are very hardy and intelligent. Chelsea is not my first McNab shepherd dog, we let Ursa go over the rainbow in March at 14 years 11 months of age, she was a McNab and German Shepherd mix that I got when she was nine days old and will always be one of the best dogs that I have had the pleasure of co existing with. Chelsea is much like Ursa, so much so that they seemed like mother and daughter. Even though Chelsea is over 50 pounds, she thinks she is a Jack in size and in her desire to mouse.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Separation anxiety is usually a sign of insecurity not dominance. The dog can't handle being away from their pack. It is very stressful for them to go through. This can be something linked genetically or from environment. Some people cause it without realizing it. The dog is with them all the time and they expect to be with them. A long good bye and not wanting to leave the dog/consoling the dog makes it worse.

Many dogs that have some type of fear or insecurity can have separation anxiety. Some that are very submissive dogs have SA. I have found that many dogs which were neglected/abused have this. They don't want to be away from their new owner. They stress out.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Separation anxiety is usually a sign of insecurity not dominance. The dog can't handle being away from their pack. It is very stressful for them to go through. This can be something linked genetically or from environment. Some people cause it without realizing it. The dog is with them all the time and they expect to be with them. A long good bye and not wanting to leave the dog/consoling the dog makes it worse.

Many dogs that have some type of fear or insecurity can have separation anxiety. Some that are very submissive dogs have SA. I have found that many dogs which were neglected/abused have this. They don't want to be away from their new owner. They stress out.
Very well stated Samara, I can agree that it is some form of insecurity whether we purposely enstill it in them or not. They are creatures of habit, no doubt, and when suddenly an owner isn't around when they are used to their presence 24/7, it's understandable. Taht's why I feel it's good practice to have the dogs learn alone time. Now, I know it sounds strange for owners who have the luxury to be home all the time, but it gives them a break too and it doesn't have to be a long time either.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
I've taken both my resecues thru obedience training, neither have the CGC. I wasn't aware of it with the Jack...he'd pass now with out any probs. But the Corgi has issues with strangers and would melt down...don't want to put him thru it. BTW I've had excellent dog trainers and Behaviourest work with both of us...he just got a bad start in life and is still a loving creature, just not the typical out going Corgi.

I plan on adding a 3rd dog soon, this time I'm getting a puppy so he will go thru all the appropriate training. I hope to compete him.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 PM

459 posts, read 805,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post

I got a dog from the pound that was abused and neglected, and I have never had a problem with seperation anxiety. I just ignore him before I go, and when I come home I ignore him until he settles down. Then I take him for a walk then I give him affection. The key is Exersice, disipline, then Affection. A happy pit bull is a tired pit bull!!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I got a dog from the pound that was abused and neglected, and I have never had a problem with seperation anxiety. I just ignore him before I go, and when I come home I ignore him until he settles down. Then I take him for a walk then I give him affection. The key is Exersice, disipline, then Affection. A happy pit bull is a tired pit bull!!
Oooh that is a good idea, the ignoring until he settles. why did I not think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs