Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,281,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intookst View Post
I have tried to crate train her the way I read on the Internet, that you are supposed to make it a happy place. She just doesn't feel that way as soon as I close the door after several treat sessions she starts whining. I live in an apt and am afraid she will whine the whole time.

I guess on the training thing...I've checked several places and they all want to start with beginning training. She knows sit,stay, so I didn't feel like she needed all that. I guess I'll check for a behaviorist. Some replies here make it all sound so simple but it's not at all when you work and can't be at home with her all the time.

I have had patience with her I'm just at a loss on what to do. No one wants a dog that chews everything up. I had a 17 yr old Yorkie that I had to put down in March. He only weighed 5 lbs and maybe I'm too use to a smaller dog. Bella is a wonderful dog and we do love her. I've never had a rescue before and didn't think about all the challenges that come with one. I know she's been abused and will need extra time & training, I just hope I can handle it. I'm not giving up just yet I was just wanting some advice on where to turn to next.

Thanks for all the brow beating maybe I needed that to realize what she needs.
If crate training failed, stop.

Don't continue unless you want her to destroy the crate and/or hurt herself. A dog that panics like this will not settle down this easily. I tried with mine for 4 weeks to no success.

Your dog have separation anxiety. You described the common signs: damage by the door, extreme clinginess at home with you, panic when you are out of its sight, destruction beyond repair. I won't tell you to be patient because that won't work.

Here is what I did and I hope it will help you too:

Buy baby gate and lock her in the kitchen as her designated area. If not the kitchen, pick a good spot with space for her. Tile floors are best in case she panics and pees. Do not use garages. It has to be a space where you like to be around often so she will have your scent when you are gone.

Like crate training, you would feed her inside that spot. No exceptions. Close gate behind her during mealtime. Let her out when done.

All toys, treats, goodies must come from that spot. If she wants a cookie, put it in the spot. Leave door open. Over time, slowly close the door behind her for longer periods.

Teach her some independence by not allowing her to follow you to the bedroom, bathroom, garage, etc. Ignore her when she cries. Ignore her when she sees you again. No eye contact, no excitement from you, just be whatever about it

Over time, lure her to her spot. Put some nylabones and a kong filled with peanut butter. Close the door. Go to another area in the house and relax.

Do this for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, pass by now and then to show her you didn't abandon her but ignore her. Open the gate when she stops crying.

Make sure you have lots of chew toys. Use different chew toys each day. Throw in a treat ball to keep her busy.

And lastly, spend 10 minutes a day on training. Sit, stay, lay down, fetch, hide and seek... it builds her confidence.

Hope that helps. I know it's aggravating. I came home to an exploded couch, ripped blinds, chewed furniture.... i used the sprays, they suck. Just hang in there. This is common among shelter dogs. It took me 6 months for my dog to get better and I still do not trust her to be free in the house when we go out.

P.s. the difference between a crate and a designated area is for your dog's comfort level. Many shelter dogs remember the crate. Some just develop a fear with anything that has bars. Making an open area as her 'space' she will have her privacy and not feel like being in a cage.

Oh, if you caught her in the act, say no! Wait a few seconds, then hand her a chew toy and nudge it to her mouth until she takes it. Then praise! She needs to learn what is acceptable to chew if she have the urge to chew. Saying no means nothing if you can't direct her what to do afterward.

Last edited by cheesenugget; 08-03-2015 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM

811 posts, read 1,559,884 times
Maybe try a play pen for her. You can put her in it for a short while when you are home and the family is around to get her used to it, then it wouldn't be so traumatic for her when you are gone. She will be contained but have more room than a crate.

Amazon.com : Midwest Exercise Pen, 36-Inch, Black : Pet Playpens : Pet Supplies

Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM

19,579 posts, read 9,587,000 times
Over the years we have had some puppies that went "destructo commando" on us. I couldn't tell ya how many times I had to sew up a dog bed when I came home from work. Yes, patience is a virtue because it's all worked out over time. Training (Crate training and instructional training paired with consistency, "refresher" courses in training methods employed for both owner and dog/s) is helpful.

Block off areas and/or close doors, put things out of reach. Gradual crate timing to more free time, more access with the attaboy/attagirl "good job" comments has helped tremoundously. Everytime you see your dog do something good, praise lavishly. Try to ignore the naughty and go straight for the positive comments for good stuff. Think dog will be less likely to run off. It may start out to only less than 20% but then it'll be 50%, then 52%, 60%,...

Not saying all problems have been resolved with our current 4-paw members of the house. Still working on some here and there. I think there were moments my spouse wanted to "give up". He was frustrated. As I remarked earlier, our time in training or timing as a whole, has been a major factor. Encouragement: I hope our light at the end of the tunnel from puppydom/"newbie" phase to adultdom/getting use to new family is a signal ----> It does get better

Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 PM

237 posts, read 225,391 times
Terriers need lots of exercise, and that does not mean just physical exercise. They love to use their brain to solve problems. Terriers are the ultimate problem solvers, and they won't give up - it's in their breeding. Often the very traits they were bred for are seen as problems by people who don't know how to redirect their tenacious spirit. Look into classes for barn hunt. This is a fun sport open to any dog, but it was made for terriers. They excel at it. It's a fun sport, people are very laid back, and there to have a good time. You will meet owners of dogs similar to yours.

I second the recommendation to limit her to a confined area. Cat1116 had good suggestions. It's important for her safety that she not have unlimited access to chew things.

Another fun sport is nose work. Like barn hunt, it's open to any dog, and doesn't have to be a scenting breed such as a hound. My corgi loves it. 10 minutes of nose work equals an hour of physical exercise. Get out and start doing fun active things with her and I bet a lot of these problems will disappear.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:57 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,068,439 times
how about a crate with the door open and inside of an X pen? or use a gate in the kitchen and let her have access to a room where she can still see other parts of the house.

a kong filled with treats as someone posted is a great idea. don't give up on her. give her lots and lots of exercise too.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,441,337 times
So the OP lives in high density housing and that may be an issue for this particular mission. Several factors here are not really a good match. I do agree with some of the posts above about what to try prior to giving up.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM

107 posts, read 152,542 times
Is it possible to give your pup a good workout prior to leaving her alone? I have to do this with my two youngest dogs or I will come home to a bit of a mess...seriously, if your dog is worn out, she'll likely just sleep while you are gone.

Also, I agree with the previous posters who suggest limiting the area of the house that she has access to. Personally, I crate train all of my rescues and will continue to do so. NONE of my dogs wanted to go into their crates when I first got them...now, ALL of them love their crates and routinely go in (on their own) even when someone is home. I will share what has worked with my dogs (which may or may not help you with yours).

Everyone has their own, appropriately-sized crate which is permanently located in a main area of the house (so they don't feel isolated). I leave the doors open so they can enter and exit whenever they choose.

All mealtimes are in the crates (though I usually start the crate training with the dish just outside the crate).

All treats (in the beginning) are given in the crate.

I have a collection of special toys and treats that are ONLY given in the crate while nobody is home. My dogs LOVE peanut butter, so the only time they get peanut butter is when I have to leave the house and they are in their crates...to make it last, I fill a Kong-style toy with treats and peanut butter and freeze it...the minute they get out of their crates, I collect the toys to wash, refill and freeze.

I also have some rules for the humans in the home regarding the crates. Crating is never used as punishment. The crate is their "safe place"...no matter what...that means no scolding, no reaching in and pulling a dog out, no waking a dog sleeping in her crate, no messing with them while they are eating inside their crates (not that they should be disturbed anywhere else they they are eating). Once they realize that this is their safe place, they often go in to sleep or chew on a bone that they don't want the other dogs to have.

There are those who don't use crates, but I prefer to have all of my dogs crate trained for several reasons. For one, those who are destructive can be safely left home in their crates so that they do not injure themselves or ruin the house... also, the crates go with us when we travel with the dogs... another reason is the crates serve as their own personal bed and place where they can go if they want to be alone.

I wouldn't say that crate training has ever been easy, but I think that taking really small steps and having a LOT of patience (especially during the first couple of days) helps. At first, my youngest dog wouldn't even come within 8 feet of her crate...now she goes in all on her own to sleep!

At this point, I don't have to crate any of my dogs when there is nobody home because exercising them is enough and they have all mostly outgrown the chewing-on-anything-they-can-reach phase, but the crates are still out and accessible to them at all times.

Anyway, good luck with your pup...I hope you are able to work things out with her.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,367,561 times
I didn't read in the OP posts where the dog was freaking out in the crate ALL I saw was the Dog Whined as soon as the door closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs