Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,450,932 times

Advertisements

China or not, my elderly male border collie had a massive turnaround in his mobility just a few weeks after I started giving him Cosequin. When I started giving it to him, I did not expect to actually notice a difference. But he had a complete turnaround after. I think he was on it for the last 3 years or so of his life and the quality of his life remained quite good until about a month before his death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM

138 posts, read 234,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We switched to this a couple of months ago and like it. I don't know what they put in these for flavoring but my dog acts like it's crack for canines.

GNC Pets Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health - Bacon Flavor - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC
Hmmm...now if they'd only make the human version bacon-flavored...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:18 PM

23,000 posts, read 6,474,922 times
I take the tiny Move Free pills, give one each evening to the peke too, in a bit of peanut butter.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:43 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,410,062 times
I use glucosamine, my dogs do and my horses do. You can use the human one for dogs just break it up. give a smaller dose.

Don't give horse products to dogs unless you're sure it does NOT contain grapeseed.

I use SAMe and it's really expensive!!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,733,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
China or not, my elderly male border collie had a massive turnaround in his mobility just a few weeks after I started giving him Cosequin. When I started giving it to him, I did not expect to actually notice a difference. But he had a complete turnaround after. I think he was on it for the last 3 years or so of his life and the quality of his life remained quite good until about a month before his death.
that was what the vet said for my dog and a pain pill at times

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM

8,636 posts, read 11,074,441 times
I can answer the OP'S question with just two words, "Laser therapy."
It works wonders on joints, and isn't something you need to keep doing.
My Shepherd had some muscle injuries, and two treatments(ten minutes each) and he was cured.
My vet recommends this for dogs with joint pain also.
Forget those pills and supplements

Ask your vet about it.

Bob.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I can answer the OP'S question with just two words, "Laser therapy."
It works wonders on joints, and isn't something you need to keep doing.
My Shepherd had some muscle injuries, and two treatments(ten minutes each) and he was cured.
My vet recommends this for dogs with joint pain also.
Forget those pills and supplements

Ask your vet about it.

Bob.
How does it work on joint pain? I'm not understanding how it can permanently fix joint pain if the pain is caused by changes to the joint structure. Does the dog have to be sedated during the treatment?

I do see how it could permanently work on a muscle injury.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:10 PM

8,636 posts, read 11,074,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
How does it work on joint pain? I'm not understanding how it can permanently fix joint pain if the pain is caused by changes to the joint structure. Does the dog have to be sedated during the treatment?

I do see how it could permanently work on a muscle injury.

I do not fully understand the process other than it is quick, painless, and no, the animal does not have to be sedated.
From how my vet explained it, the laser treatment involves rubbing the laser instrument over the damaged area, (the area does no need to be clipped or shaved)targeting the inflammation, and aids in rapid rebuilding of damaged cells.
There is absolutely no pain to the animal.

The only evidence I saw/felt after the treatment was a little warm where the instrument was used.
The day I brought my shepherd to the vet, he had injured the leg muscles and tendons by jumping off the rear deck instead of walking down the steps to the ground.
He had some difficulty walking, and so we went straight to the vet.
He hobbled into the exam room, and once the ten minute treatment was over, he was walking like nothing ever happened to him..

It happened once again about two months ago, same thing, and same treatment.
Left the vet's office completely cured.
What this treatment does, is target the inflammation.
With the inflammation gone, so is the pain associated with it.

I have since built a long ramp for him to get off the deck, and have not had a problem since.
This therapy really works.
I would opt for laser therapy over bottled, or topical supplements any day.
And, it is not expensive.
Each session was $35.00.

Bob.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,798,538 times
Interesting. Thanks for explaining. Based on your explanation, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a permanent fix for a joint issue because it wouldn't address the underlying cause of the inflammation, the joint damage. Still if it brings pain relief and doesn't have side effects, it's worth considering.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:16 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,031,201 times
I have Great Danes, and although they are usually very expensive dogs to keep due to their size, when it comes to giving medication, their size can actually save me money. I recently started my 5.5 year old 147 pound female Dane on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement. My vet recommended Dasuquin initially. But after talking to hundreds of my Facebook friends, they recommended giving her a human Glucosamine supplement instead, because not only is it the same thing, it's actually superior. Human grade supplements are better quality supplements than veterinary grade supplements. Not only that, the human grade is much less expensive than the animal grade. Dasuquin would have been prohibitively expensive for her. Since she weighs 147, she gets the regular human dose. I went to Sam's and purchased this one for her:

Member's Mark Triple Strength Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM (220 ct.) - Sam's Club

One pill, morning and evening with her meals, cleverly hidden in 1/2 of a Kraft single slice She's doing very well on it, and it saves me a lot of $$$ over Dasuquin. I'm not sure how large your dog is, but if you want to use the human tablets, you can just break up the pill according to the weight of your dog. Your vet can probably help you with the dosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs