Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Of course it's not a permanent solution, it's temporary. I'd put a soft e-collar on the dog so the skin can at least attempt to heal. I think even just cooking up a protein turkey, chicken whatever with some rice to see what happens would help the dog. Look at the ingredient lists on commercial dog food there is a lot of extra things that could cause any dog problems. What about giving the dog Benedryl for at least a little relief?
On this thread you pretty much have to read all the posts to understand what's going on with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:40 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
I figure we can all throw out suggestions and maybe they will try something even if they say they won't. But as another poster said there is a lot we don't know breed type, what tests the vets have done, etc. I'd like to see pictures of the areas the dog is biting and scratching.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM

138 posts, read 233,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I realize she may be in pain and she may be suffering but you know what i dont care.
Dltordj, the OP isn't going to give you that information. The OP doesn't really want your help or anyone's help. The OP doesn't really want the dog to get help. All the OP wants is for you to tell him that torturing a sick dog for years is ok because it's his dog and if he wants to torture it, he will, because it's his choice.

Can you tell him that's ok with you? If not, you are wasting your time.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 PM

590 posts, read 715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Geez.
Can't this thread end already?
The OP requested it, where are the Hall Monitors?

Busy editing political and religious stuff that needs to be said. Cause Merica'.........

Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I figure we can all throw out suggestions and maybe they will try something even if they say they won't. But as another poster said there is a lot we don't know breed type, what tests the vets have done, etc. I'd like to see pictures of the areas the dog is biting and scratching.
Breed: Beagle mix (dont know other part). Tests: Vets said "We'd like to run a few tests". We said "Okay". Vets said "Tests all came back normal" We said "Okay" Vets said "She simply has a common skin allergy that theres no cure for. Youre simply going to have to manage it and stop her when you see her scratching or biting".

So thats what we have been doing. I know it makes a lot of you sob hysterically or something to that effect but its something we have to do. As another pointed out shes in Hell but its a hell of her own making. Had she not kept chewing on herself and biting etc she wouldnt have this huge issue. Its going to be tough for her I know and not all that pleasant but shes just going to have to leave her body alone and let it heal. Just like when you put medicine on a mosquito bite it doesnt do any good if you keep scratching it. You have to force yourself to not bother it even if that means sitting on your hands. It may be a dog but a dog is like a small child and like a parent to a child sometimes you have to intervene and do what you know is best even if it causes said child a bit of grief. In the end, its for the best.

Vets have been tried, foods and diets have been tried, shampoos, soaks, creams, lotions have been tried, activities have been tried, collars have been tried, flea and tick meds have been tried (yes she is on them still), anything and everything short of surgeries or some sort of skin replacement procedure has been tried all with insignificant to no results. We cannot keep spending money that we dont have on stuff that we have tried before. And we're not going to rehome her because thats telling her "Youre a bad dog and we dont want you here anymore". Id just as soon keep her here to love to the extent that I am personally able to love anything (love is relative) and get on to her when she is being bad (just like any parent should do).

Last edited by pythonis; 09-23-2015 at 12:06 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
We cannot keep spending money that we dont have on stuff that we have tried before. And we're not going to rehome her because thats telling her "Youre a bad dog and we dont want you here anymore".
I love Beagles. I live in Georgia. I would love your dog to pieces and help her get over a skin allergy. I call BS on a vet saying "You're just gonna have to make her stop scratching." Bull****. You can't afford the medicines, that's fine, we get it, now let's give her to someone who CAN, and THAT, my friend, is showing her you love her more than anything. You yelling at her to stop is making it worse. She is not being bad. She is ITCHING.

Can I have your dog?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,065 times
Quote:
Breed: Beagle mix (dont know other part). Tests: Vets said "We'd like to run a few tests". We said "Okay". Vets said "Tests all came back normal" We said "Okay" Vets said "She simply has a common skin allergy that theres no cure for. Youre simply going to have to manage it and stop her when you see her scratching or biting".

So thats what we have been doing. I know it makes a lot of you sob hysterically or something to that effect but its something we have to do. As another pointed out shes in Hell but its a hell of her own making. Had she not kept chewing on herself and biting etc she wouldnt have this huge issue. Its going to be tough for her I know and not all that pleasant but shes just going to have to leave her body alone and let it heal. Just like when you put medicine on a mosquito bite it doesnt do any good if you keep scratching it. You have to force yourself to not bother it even if that means sitting on your hands. It may be a dog but a dog is like a small child and like a parent to a child sometimes you have to intervene and do what you know is best even if it causes said child a bit of grief. In the end, its for the best.

Vets have been tried, foods and diets have been tried, shampoos, soaks, creams, lotions have been tried, activities have been tried, collars have been tried, flea and tick meds have been tried (yes she is on them still), anything and everything short of surgeries or some sort of skin replacement procedure has been tried all with insignificant to no results. We cannot keep spending money that we dont have on stuff that we have tried before. And we're not going to rehome her because thats telling her "Youre a bad dog and we dont want you here anymore". Id just as soon keep her here to love to the extent that I am personally able to love anything (love is relative) and get on to her when she is being bad (just like any parent should do).
You really are thick as a brick aren't you? She CANNOT reason, period. She is a dog, not a child. All she knows is she itches, not why she itches or it is best to leave it alone, but just that she itches.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Can I have your dog?
No, but Ive got a bird you can have.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
No, but Ive got a bird you can have.
LOL I don't like birds.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
LOL I don't like birds.
At least birds have willpower!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs