Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:27 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
She CANNOT reason, period. She is a dog, not a child. All she knows is she itches, not why she itches or it is best to leave it alone, but just that she itches.
I can't believe that this is even debatable. It's a dog, it doesn't know that scratching is making things worse. It's trying to find something, anything to relieve its suffering. Willpower and self control don't play into it at all. Dogs are not capable of that sort of mental reasoning.

OP wants to treat the dog like a dog and then anthropomorphizes select human characteristics to support her position.

My heart is breaking for this dog - having to live like this with no end in sight to its pain and discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Breed: Beagle mix (dont know other part). Tests: Vets said "We'd like to run a few tests". We said "Okay". Vets said "Tests all came back normal" We said "Okay" Vets said "She simply has a common skin allergy that theres no cure for. Youre simply going to have to manage it and stop her when you see her scratching or biting".

So thats what we have been doing. I know it makes a lot of you sob hysterically or something to that effect but its something we have to do. As another pointed out shes in Hell but its a hell of her own making. Had she not kept chewing on herself and biting etc she wouldnt have this huge issue. Its going to be tough for her I know and not all that pleasant but shes just going to have to leave her body alone and let it heal. Just like when you put medicine on a mosquito bite it doesnt do any good if you keep scratching it. You have to force yourself to not bother it even if that means sitting on your hands. It may be a dog but a dog is like a small child and like a parent to a child sometimes you have to intervene and do what you know is best even if it causes said child a bit of grief. In the end, its for the best.

Vets have been tried, foods and diets have been tried, shampoos, soaks, creams, lotions have been tried, activities have been tried, collars have been tried, flea and tick meds have been tried (yes she is on them still), anything and everything short of surgeries or some sort of skin replacement procedure has been tried all with insignificant to no results. We cannot keep spending money that we dont have on stuff that we have tried before. And we're not going to rehome her because thats telling her "Youre a bad dog and we dont want you here anymore". Id just as soon keep her here to love to the extent that I am personally able to love anything (love is relative) and get on to her when she is being bad (just like any parent should do).
I extend my offer of help again.

I have put my pets on raw. I have seen significant changes in them. I have lived in areas where meat was expensive, I have lived where there were co-ops, I have lived where there were farms or butchers (not in grocery stores) that will sell meat for dogs, (literally, they tell you upfront, it's for dogs), at a heavily discounted rate, I have learned how to make dollars stretch when I got laid off and didn't have any fricken extra money.

I really hope that you accept the offer, because I think it would solve the problems for your dog, and you wouldn't hear and see all the scratching, licking, biting, and you could have peace, your dog could have peace.

Most vets are not going to tell you about raw, because there's no money in it for them. (And no, it is not the same as the BARF diet. It's easier, and cheaper.)

Old 09-26-2015, 06:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
150000% agree with three wolves in snow.
for what your paying for whatever "grain free" diet shes on right ow you culd feed prey model raw and potentially save yourself not only all the trouble but possible a little money if your smart.
a dog about the size of a beagle isn't going to be expensive to feed prey model, and a little looking for meat sales, freezerburnt clearouts, scrap bones from the processing season (welcome to hunting season folks! its deer time!)

as I said previously, I have a dog who sounds a lot like yours in terms of allergy issues, and nothing worked until I got her off processed foods...feeding her raw made me a fan, switching ALL my carnivores to prey model raw just reinforced it...
I live on a food budget of $10 a week, that needs to feed me AND my dogs and cats...and I have some pretty arkward dietary restrictions myself so eating isn't "cheap"
I raise rabbit, I raise quail, (both easy, small, quiet and small space friendly) I do chicken in spring and fall and turke too but obviously those arnt cit friendly... (though or a dog the size of a beagle quail are a great model size!) we hunt, we fish, we take anything we can off the "freezer burnt" craiglist listings/oferings (especially at the beginning of hunting season when people are clearing out anything left from last year to make room for this!) and managers specials.
and the diference in their condition and health is amazing!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times
Looks like its going to take an act of congress to close this thread.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I get the impression that OP isn't really interested, so this is for the rest of you.

Not all allergies are food allergies. Dogs can be allergic to grass, carpet cleaner, air fresheners, dust mites or probably thousands of other possibilities. While changing the diet is worth a try, diet is not always the cause of itchy skin. Raw diet, grain-free diet, and fish oil don't solve every problem.

I would hope that a vet would recognize fleas, hot spots, staph infection, and thyroid imbalance, but occasionally a vet isn't confidence inspiring. So if one vet can't diagnose a medical issue, it is time to try another vet

Allergy tablets can be inexpensive and might help if the itching is an allergy. OP says the spots started small and grew, so maybe it isn't allergy. Maybe it is mites or staph. Which means a good vet needs to look at it.

Maybe the dog will get lucky and someone will call animal control.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I get the impression that OP isn't really interested, so this is for the rest of you.

Not all allergies are food allergies. Dogs can be allergic to grass, carpet cleaner, air fresheners, dust mites or probably thousands of other possibilities. While changing the diet is worth a try, diet is not always the cause of itchy skin. Raw diet, grain-free diet, and fish oil don't solve every problem.

I would hope that a vet would recognize fleas, hot spots, staph infection, and thyroid imbalance, but occasionally a vet isn't confidence inspiring. So if one vet can't diagnose a medical issue, it is time to try another vet

Allergy tablets can be inexpensive and might help if the itching is an allergy. OP says the spots started small and grew, so maybe it isn't allergy. Maybe it is mites or staph. Which means a good vet needs to look at it.

Maybe the dog will get lucky and someone will call animal control.
I was in complete agreement with you until that last line. Just had to throw that in there didnt ya?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I extend my offer of help again.

I have put my pets on raw. I have seen significant changes in them. I...
I really hope that you accept the offer, because I think it would solve the problems for your dog, and you wouldn't hear and see all the scratching, licking, biting, and you could have peace, your dog could have peace.

Most vets are not going to tell you about raw, because there's no money in it for them. (And no, it is not the same as the BARF diet. It's easier, and cheaper.)
Thank you, it helped us. We're starting off with Stela & Chewy and found k9natural online, will go from there, maybe work our way up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
150000% agree with three wolves in snow.

......... as I said previously, I have a dog who sounds a lot like yours in terms of allergy issues, and nothing worked until I got her off processed foods...feeding her raw made me a fan, switching ALL my carnivores to prey model raw just reinforced it...
I live on a food budget of $10 a week, that needs to feed me AND my dogs and cats...and I have some pretty arkward dietary restrictions myself so eating isn't "cheap" ...

and the diference in their condition and health is amazing!
Carnivore. Meat. It makes too much sense!! OMG fran read ingredients in our bags, no wonder the dog bit itself raw (no pun intended )

Given helpful posts which makes too much sense and here's response to it?

Quote:
Looks like its going to take an act of congress to close this thread.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefran View Post
Thank you, it helped us. We're starting off with Stela & Chewy and found k9natural online, will go from there, maybe work our way up.

Carnivore. Meat. It makes too much sense!! OMG fran read ingredients in our bags, no wonder the dog bit itself raw (no pun intended )

Given helpful posts which makes too much sense and here's response to it?

Why should I read info mixed with insults and accusations?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Why should I read info mixed with insults and accusations?
I have not insulted you a single time. I am genuinely telling you that I am more than happy to help you. This is my third time offering. I'm not here to belittle you, trash on you, insult you, I care that your dog is happy, and that you're happy with your dog. That is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs